PDA

View Full Version : Stars $11, Did I make the right push here?

08-06-2005, 01:47 AM
Playing in a Stars 10+1, a bit short stacked and Villain 1 has played very loose thus far, calling off raises with little. I figure as he has limped in that his hand will not be too strong, and I should be a favorite.

No read on SB except i know he is short stacked and will have to call pretty much regardless.

Did I make the right push here? Or do I check from BB and play the flop. Maybe a raise?
Thanks

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 (t830)
CO (t3230)
Button (t1840)
SB (t195)
Hero (t815)
UTG (t2870)
MP1 (t3720)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t100, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t815</font>, MP1 calls t715, SB calls t95 (All-In).

Flop: (t1825) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t1825) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t1825) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1825

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP1 has Ah Jc (two pair, aces and jacks).
SB has Jh 8d (two pair, jacks and tens).
Hero has 7c 7h (two pair, tens and sevens).
Outcome: MP1 wins t1825. </font>

MicroBob
08-06-2005, 02:04 AM
after he limps I think I'm just checking to see a flop here.

The SB's chips give him more equity to call your all-in with a broader range of hands.

his stack is big-enough that I think your fold-equity isn't that great.

At first when I saw this hand I thought "yeah...I think the push here is okey-dokey."
But when I thought about it more I think I prefer checking out the flop and going from there.

08-06-2005, 02:08 AM
The big stacked villain had been playing very loosely so far, so his limp indicated a "Ill see the flop" type limp, therefore I figured with about 800 I had hed fold a weak hand. I was looking for a heads up with a desperate SB.

The other option was check to the flop...but Im not convinced as to which play is +EV here.

lastchance
08-06-2005, 02:11 AM
Really, really standard.

Checking might be right, but I like the overlay, plus on the flop, you don't really know what's going to happen.

45suited
08-06-2005, 02:14 AM
It's true that MP has a huge stack and might call you, but I can't imagine not pushing here. I understand the arguments against it and I don't think that they are by any means bad, but I'm still pushing.

MicroBob
08-06-2005, 02:24 AM
he's played very loosely...but you thought he would fold?

with that kind of stack.....for only 7 more BB's I'm guessing that he's calling with a wide range of hands. And if you have an over-pair or middle-pair to the flop you can check to him and just have him try to blow you off of it.

I don't have a problem with pushing here.
But I don't understand the logic of 'he was playing really loosely...but this time I thought he would fold' just because he happened to open-limp.
You already have described him as something of a calling-station.

08-06-2005, 12:32 PM
My mistake, Bob, you are absolutely correct here.

What I meant to say was that, as he had just open limped, and his loose playing style, I figure that either
A.) he folds (unlikely but who knows at this level)
B.) (The more likely solution) He calls with a pretty subpar hand(Kx Qx x being lower than 7) seeing my small stack and my desperation.

In the end, I was in a coinflip, but my thoughts were that in this situation I am up against two lesser hands and I needed to push.

Maybe checking was a similarly equal solution, so I could get away from a big card flop...