PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 Bankroll for casual player?

dux
03-16-2003, 08:56 PM
I've made a similar post about playing micro PL. I want to know how much I should have onsite to play 1/2 most days?

Comments appreciated.

JTG51
03-16-2003, 10:08 PM
Are you looking for a number that will allow you to go through a bad run of cards without going broke?

If that's the case, assuming you play well, 300 big bets seems to be the standard number that is quoted by experts. At 1/2 that would be $600.

03-17-2003, 02:30 AM
it depend about how most of your opponents play. If it's weak-tigh 1-2 that rarely bet and you rarely bet, call or raise as the "good" player does (and so losing in those games), (the reason being that they most always have the goods, so you fold, and they or someone most always calls - a weak-tight-loose type of player). in those games 100 big bets is enough, more than enough, assuming it's not the lowest or similar limit offered, that need 300 big bets to lose, so 400 big bets is safe, for loose games where it's not that sure one gets in to a long run. 200 big bets for anything between, even if it's overaggressive 2-3 way game.

Bob T.
03-17-2003, 02:41 AM
If you are really a casual player, I would keep no more than 100-200 big bets in the site cashier. That should keep be enough to keep you in the game unless you are running really badly, and if you run that bad you might want to take a break and retool your game.

dux
03-17-2003, 06:56 AM
Some good thoughts been posted...I usually bring $50 to the table for a session. So $200 would be four sessions if I lost it all. My experiences from dipping my feet into the games have been that it is no foldem, sometimes being passive sometimes agressive. I have to laugh at myself, people talk about mid stakes being $20/$40 - And I'm "dipping my feet into" $1/$2 games! Either way, I gotta start somewhere.

ZManODS
03-17-2003, 01:00 PM
Wow maybe i should deposit more when i play. Usually i just deposit $50 and withdraw at every $25 interval after that. Should i just deposit a large sum and see how i do over time? It seems like i get too focused on how i do in one particular with this style. Does anyone else do this?

marbles
03-17-2003, 01:16 PM
"Wow maybe i should deposit more when i play. Usually i just deposit $50 and withdraw at every $25 interval after that. Should i just deposit a large sum and see how i do over time? It seems like i get too focused on how i do in one particular with this style. Does anyone else do this?"

--I did just that for months and months. I found, though, that I was overly results-oriented and a bit susceptible to sudden tilts by watching the wild swings in my seemingly small "bankroll." On the advice of another poster, I now put a piece of tape over my bankroll number when I sit down and don't look again until I am ready to quit for the day. I highly recommend that.

As for the dollar amount, I still don't see much of a purpose in buying in for more than $100. If you get burned for 50 BB's, there's a strong chance you're going to be pretty steamed, and walking away might be the best move at that point.