PDA

View Full Version : LV Trip Goals

MtSmalls
03-16-2003, 08:32 PM
I'm headed to LV this week (Thur and Fri) on a business trip, but I plan to get a dozen hours or so in at the tables. Mirage/Bellagio/Monte Carlo; 4/8 or 6/12. I also may be able to play at the Bike in LA Tues or Wed. (what adjustments do I need to make for these CA games, also the Bike is holding a pretty big tourney this week). Here is a list of rules/goals I set for myself, but wanted input from the forum that I have learned so much from:

1. Don't open limp. If its good enough to play, its good enough to raise. Don't be that guy.

2. Bet the river, worse hands will call.

3. Stop playing A-x and low to middle suited connectors. These are probably the biggest leaks in my game.

4. Welcome the tourists and 'donators'. The reverse of this is not to take my beats so hard (avoid tilt).

Comments/suggestions welcome. I'll post a trip report after I return.

Sooga
03-16-2003, 08:51 PM
I don't have much experience with LV so I won't comment. But if you're coming to CA, I need to make some comments:

1) NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. In CA, flops are often seen roughtly 457-handed, so there are plenty of hands you can play early that you don't want to pay 2 bets for. In tighter, tougher games, open-limping is probably a bad idea, but rarely in CA (at the limits you mentioned) will you bump into that.

2) YES YES YES YES YES. It's amazing down here what they'll call you down with. value bet, value bet, value bet.

3) NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO (sorta). Throw those Ax's away, but middle suited connectors are big moneymakers in most of the loose CA low limit games. Obviously if you're in a wild game, you wouldn't want to play these. But it shouldn't be hard to find a loose-passive table.

4) YES YES YES. Do NOT let the beats get to you. You WILL get your AA cracked by 38o and your KK cracked by T5o. IT WILL happen. Just remember to keep playing good hands to give yourself the best chances to win, and always remain calm and friendly.

Bob T.
03-17-2003, 03:04 AM
What about 'Have fun!.

Ed Miller
03-17-2003, 07:38 AM
Don't open limp. If its good enough to play, its good enough to raise. Don't be that guy.

I disagree with this. There is plenty of room for open limping... especially in low limit (i.e. loose-passive) games. Playing raise or fold from up front will have you making preflop errors.

Homer
03-17-2003, 09:56 AM
In the Monte Carlo/Mandalay Bay 4/8 game, the blinds are only 1 and 2. Therefore, it will often be correct for you to open limp and to play hands like middle suited connectors.

-- Homer

MtSmalls
03-17-2003, 02:50 PM
Thanks guys. I guess I will have to adjust a little to the CA game if I play. I also assume that the games will vary a little this weekend in LV as the NCAA tournament is underway and the games could either be very good or excellent.

I'll post when I return. Thanks again

eMarkM
03-17-2003, 02:57 PM
I'm with the others on open limping, you should do it in loose games. Though not from MLP/LP.

Add to your list: don't cold call raises. At least don't be the first one. Fold or reraise.

Homer
03-17-2003, 03:07 PM
Sometimes I will coldcall, even if first to act after the raisor, if the table is very loose and passive. For example, if a non-TOM raises from UTG, I will sometimes coldcall from UTG+1 with AJs/KQs/99/88 if the table is quite loose and passive. Of course, this is an exception to the rule, but I still feel like it should be noted. We should always be aware of all options available to us (i.e. - calling, in addition to raising/folding), even if we only intend to use certain options sparingly.

-- Homer

TruePoker CEO
03-17-2003, 04:17 PM
Homer is giving good advice. I play at Bellagio and Mandalay Bay, there IS a big difference from the different blind structures. I prefer to play a lot of hands, it pays at Bellagio and kills me at Mandalay Bay because the limpers there are more numerous and the blinds are cheap.

Your 1 , 2, & 4 are otherwise on the money.

More important was the Have Fun goal, playing in Las Vegas can be fun, especially in a room which is lively or near a floor/sports book which is lively. I recommend Bellagio, Mirage or Mandalay Bay, all of which get a disproportionate share of tourists eager for action.

Truepoker CEO