PDA

View Full Version : Poker for a living

08-05-2005, 09:55 PM
I'm curious if there are actually any professional poker players making their living from NL holdem cash games. Most of the big name pro's I heard about are either making their money from 10/20 limit and up or the tournament circuits.

I've heard a few people online claim they live off NL games online, but there isn't really much backing these claims.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm not sure which route I should work towards. With the swings you can encounter in NL holdem, it sounds inconceivable that you could live off it without losing your mind.

I like playing NL because I have the power to protect my good hands and really punish those who try to draw. I use to get frustrated playing limit holdem because it seemed I was always getting outdrawn by somebody.

Would I need a larger bankroll for NL? What would my expected hourly win rate be in NL as opposed to limit?

tylerdurden
08-05-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The reason I'm asking is because I'm not sure which route I should work towards. With the swings you can encounter in NL holdem, it sounds inconceivable that you could live off it without losing your mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Variance is lower in no limit.

[ QUOTE ]
I like playing NL because I have the power to protect my good hands and really punish those who try to draw. I use to get frustrated playing limit holdem because it seemed I was always getting outdrawn by somebody.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is (partially) why the variance is lower in NL.

spaminator101
08-06-2005, 12:40 AM
to prevent getting drawn out on in limit why dont you try playing more drawing hands and less middle range drawing hands

Python49
08-06-2005, 02:40 AM
about win rates for NL.. a good player can sustain 10ptbb/100 hands. For NL a ptbb is 2x the bb.. so if you're playing $100 NL and the blinds are .5/$1, you could be making $20 per 100 hands. If you see 300 hands in an hour from multi tabling thats $60/hr + rakeback to be around $70/hr... rough estimates.