PDA

View Full Version : The table got horridly tough, yet I stayed...

Mr. Curious
08-05-2005, 08:17 PM
Last night, I played in the toughest NL live I have ever been in. I knew it was tough, yet I stayed because I wanted to watch how all of the people played. I knew at best I was the "second" fish and that I would probably lose my modest stack. But I figured that the experience was well worth the cost.

For example:

It is heads up between the tightest player at the table (he's decent overall, but is a bit too cautious and susceptible to moves) and someone the old pro on my right called "the Best Player in the Room".

We'll call them Tightie & BPR.

Tightie was the button with a stack of $900 and BPR was the small blind with a stack of $2000 (he came from another table, this was his 8th hand here, and the first he played).

There was no raise preflop and 5 players saw a flop of J88.

The pot is $22 (-$2 for the rake + -$1 for jackpot) and it is checked to tightie who bets $20. BPR raises to $60, Tightie re-raises for $160 total, and BPR calls.

The turn is an Ace and Tightie bets $275.

BPR spends some time thinking, shows Tightie an 8, and folds.

A little while later, BPR seat changes to my left and I ask him about the hand. I mention that my take on Tightie was a look of relief when he saw BPR fold the 8 and BPR says that he thought it was a look of disbelief ala "how can you lay that down?"

He then tells me that he folded his 8 because he had a 2 kicker and he felt like there was a 70% chance he was behind, 25% chance he chops, and a 5% chance he is ahead. He felt that Tightie would have raised with AJ preflop, so it was highly likely that he had an 8 in his hand with a better kicker.

I was a bit stunned. I had not thought about a hand in percentage terms. I think about what I have, what they have, and occasionally what they think I have, but this was a new approach. I remember Sklansky mentioning it in one of his books, and looking back on it, I was not advanced enough to understand why it is needed.

Second example:

Just an overall impression from watching the players was that the really good ones lay down more hands and wait for a better spot to get the chips. If they think they are beat, they are willing to let it go unless they have a read on someone, and even then, they are thinking in terms of what the pot is really worth.

Third example:

I do not play back enough and allow myself to get pushed around. People make assumptions about my hand and my betting patterns are too predictable. Even when I try to get tricky, I still cannot get anyone to bite. I'm hoping some online NL play (because of hand histories) will help me figure them out so I can change them up and better conceal myself.

Though my stack dwindled a bit, and the old pro called me a rock /images/graemlins/shocked.gif, the experience was worth every chip I lost.

Al Schoonmaker
08-05-2005, 09:23 PM
BPR is a jerk for showing his fold. He is inviting people to take shots at him.

Regards,

Al

threeonefour
08-05-2005, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Regards,

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

how is jerk at all the proper word in this situation?

Mr. Curious
08-05-2005, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Regards,

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw it as more of an advertisement. Now he set people up for big stack bets later on that were really bluffs.

Mr. Curious
08-07-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Regards,

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

how is jerk at all the proper word in this situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Al, I am curious about this as well.
It seemed a very strange word for you to use for that situation.

SNOWBALL138
08-08-2005, 02:37 AM
Jerk is a strange word, but I agree with Al. I think he's flashing his cards for sympathy or some kind of imagined advertisement value.
I might show this heads up if I know what the effect will be. The problem with showing cards at a full table is that you have no idea what the effect will be. Everyone will react differently.
For example, lets say you are getting no action. You decide to show a bluff. Now, you are thinking that everyone at the table is going to start playing back at you. This could easily lead to you going broke with TPTK or an overpair because you think that they are playing back at you when in reality you are about to be shown a monster.

TStoneMBD
08-08-2005, 03:39 AM
BPR made a pretty standard fold. i dont know why al is saying he is a jerk for showing his cards. as everyone mentioned, that is an odd word for him to be using.

Mr. Curious
08-08-2005, 02:24 PM
OMG, that avatar is funny!!! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

LOL