PDA

View Full Version : I like having moderators

Ulysses
08-05-2005, 08:15 PM
It seems like there's a lot of overreacting going on when it comes to moderators. Mods, we hate mods, mods anon, mods gone crazy, no more mods, etc.....

I really like the idea of having mods, more so in this busy forum than anywhere else. This is definitely the easiest forum to become completely worthless.

I thought things were great w/ wacki and Dynasty. There are plenty of other long-time posters like that who I think would be fine mods here. If it turns out they aren't doing a good job (based on community and 2+2 opinion), get rid of them and get some new mods.

Having a few mods who will step in and get rid of the really inappropriate content, the spam, the repeat threads, man, that is such a breath of fresh air.

I think the episode w/ Jeremy was a great example. He bans gimmick accounts. Some people vehemently object. He (and Mat) reconsider and come up w/ some standards for what will be acceptable w/ gimmick accounts. Problem solved, plus there's now a guideline in place where there wasn't one before. I thought the give-and-take worked great there.

If moderators get out of control, people will react to that. IMO, there are enough reasonable people here for that type of feedback mechanism to be effective.

Just my thoughts....

durron597
08-05-2005, 08:29 PM
Jeremy stepped over the line of being an impartial anonymous mod. At least, I think thats why Mat made his decision.

Soul Daddy
08-05-2005, 08:33 PM
I agree. As long as they are not overstepping their bounds, there is a lot to be gained from active mods. Keeping the keep the lines of communication open with Mat rather than acting hastily should prevent most of the problems seen thus far.

Plus, the mod threads have been among the more entertaining around here recently.

istewart
08-05-2005, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Plus, the mod threads have been among the more entertaining around here recently.

[/ QUOTE ]

whiskeytown
08-05-2005, 08:37 PM
you tool...

j/k - hell - I don't create gimmick accounts - so I don't care - LOL

on second thought, it's even better - keeps me from getting too big an ignore list -

RB

Mat Sklansky
08-05-2005, 08:37 PM
We'll see how things go in the next week.

Yeti
08-05-2005, 08:38 PM
The best thing the mods could have done was get rid of the obvious chaff and left the trickier decisions to Mat. To take matters into their own hands and start deleting gimmick accounts, WTF?

Ah well.

LeatherFace
08-05-2005, 08:39 PM
I'm starting to realize how much of a pain your job is. You need a raise.

gorie
08-05-2005, 08:56 PM
i like having mods, but then you have the idiots complaining about every mod action, which is stupid. i guess it doesn't matter as long as the really bad stuff is removed.

you can't please everyone.

08-05-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It seems like there's a lot of overreacting going on when it comes to moderators. Mods, we hate mods, mods anon, mods gone crazy, no more mods, etc.....

I really like the idea of having mods, more so in this busy forum than anywhere else. This is definitely the easiest forum to become completely worthless.

I thought things were great w/ wacki and Dynasty. There are plenty of other long-time posters like that who I think would be fine mods here. If it turns out they aren't doing a good job (based on community and 2+2 opinion), get rid of them and get some new mods.

Having a few mods who will step in and get rid of the really inappropriate content, the spam, the repeat threads, man, that is such a breath of fresh air.

I think the episode w/ Jeremy was a great example. He bans gimmick accounts. Some people vehemently object. He (and Mat) reconsider and come up w/ some standards for what will be acceptable w/ gimmick accounts. Problem solved, plus there's now a guideline in place where there wasn't one before. I thought the give-and-take worked great there.

If moderators get out of control, people will react to that. IMO, there are enough reasonable people here for that type of feedback mechanism to be effective.

Just my thoughts....

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD

mmbt0ne
08-05-2005, 09:18 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I thought things were great w/ wacki and Dynasty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
There are plenty of other long-time posters like that who I think would be fine mods here. If it turns out they aren't doing a good job (based on community and 2+2 opinion), get rid of them and get some new mods.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely. Why not do it like the sport's forum? People decided we needed a mod, we threw out nominations, and nolanfan was the obvious choice. Everything has run smoothly in there ever since, and I don't think you can find a single poster who will object to him.

I think that's the way to go.

Ulysses
08-05-2005, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why not do it like the sport's forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sports.

mmbt0ne
08-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Well, I guess that all depends on who really owns the forum, huh?
<font color="white"> dammit </font>

Dynasty
08-05-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the reason I was willing to be a mod- to move the poker (and politics) threads out of OOT as well as deleting obvious spam

shadow29
08-05-2005, 10:24 PM
What if Mat was Green, Jeremy, and Mantis?

That would be awesome.

Eurotrash
08-05-2005, 10:27 PM
nice avatar. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

BeerMoney
08-05-2005, 11:45 PM
I found it funny that people had the same "f" the moderators attitude the same we retards react towards teachers, referees, umpires, etc... Rebelling like imbeciles against an authority figure there to make the environment better.

newfant
08-06-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I found it funny that people had the same "f" the moderators attitude the same we retards react towards teachers, referees, umpires, etc... Rebelling like imbeciles against an authority figure there to make the environment better.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that the mods have too much discretion. They're not just deleting obvious spam and duplicate posts, but posts that may be a little bit offensive but are still worthwhile. Plus, a lot of the mods seem to have personal biases so you never know what is allowed and what isn't.

One of the mods banned someone for something that had nothing to do with the forums here. Another mod locked a very popular thread started by BrownThumb in the Internet forum and noone was quite sure why. If there were clear guidelines for the mods to follow and they followed them (delete obvious spam and duplicate posts) then you wouldn't see as much backlash. As it is, a lot of mod actions looked random and biased.

ChipWrecked
08-06-2005, 01:43 AM
The big mistake was deleting selected gimmick accounts based upon his own taste in what was 'lame' or not. I still can't understand how he could have thought that would fly.

MelK
08-06-2005, 02:16 AM
Did anyone have a problem with Green or Mantis?

And how active were they as moderators?

Dynasty
08-06-2005, 02:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems they didn't try to make their presence known. Since that was the point of anonymous moderators, it seems they were doing their job as they were supposed to.

08-06-2005, 04:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

This was the reason I was willing to be a mod- to move the poker (and politics) threads out of OOT as well as deleting obvious spam

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO this is the only reason OOT mods should exist (that and deleting the VERY OBVIOUS sexually and racially offensive stuff). anything else hurts the spirit of the forum. Man I'm sad you had to stop moderating OOT.

MelK
08-06-2005, 07:35 AM
I notice the old moderation thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=3069383&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;s b=5&amp;o=&amp;vc=1) was just locked right after you made the last comment. Does that mean you are still moderating in OOT?

Dynasty
08-06-2005, 07:52 AM
Just a coincidence.

BusterStacks
08-06-2005, 08:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a problem with the fact that they don't do anything. Jeremy was the only moderator that actually eliminated crap that most people would want eliminated. I mean, you can't please everyone but when you can filter out tons of idiots by having a good sense of what is good or not, imo you don't need take the time to explain yourself to whiny noobs. Unfortunately 100 noobs who post 20 times a day have more pull than good posters who rarely post, and we see the removal of the one person who actually moderated this bloated crapfest into something readable. nice work guys.

MelK
08-06-2005, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a problem with the fact that they don't do anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

My theory is that Mantis and Green are still moderating, but their names have been removed from the forum and they are under strict orders not to reveal their moderation work, so we think it is Mat doing everything.

Oh, and Dynasty is one of these two.

ChipWrecked
08-06-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
filter out tons of idiots by having a good sense of what is good or not,

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree.

Mods function on any other board I've seen is not to be taste arbiter. It's to weed out obvious pr0n, ad hominem attacks, -ism and other offensive stuff.

Let the posters decide what the flavor of the board ought to be. I'd listen to Patrick or Jake's opinion, but having a mod shove his opinion down my throat is just wrong.

Let Jeremy open his own friggin' board.

If anybody would post on it.

trying2learn
08-06-2005, 01:28 PM
couldn't disagree more...jeremey abused his status, and it was obvious he wanted to, "save OOT"...

i'm not saying everything he did was bad, but taking mod status away from him was assuredly the right move.

Mat Sklansky
08-06-2005, 01:43 PM
partygirl is a pain in my ass (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=3070160&amp;page=0&amp;view=colla psed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=1&amp;fpart=1)

It would be nice if people can break away from this topic until, say, Wednesday? Absolutely no changes in the moderation of this forum will be made, if any, until next weekend.

Mat

partygirluk
08-06-2005, 01:48 PM
Use your mod powers to edit the URL UBB code on the below.

[ QUOTE ]
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=3070160&amp;page=0&amp;view=colla psed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=1&amp;fpart=1

It would be nice if people can break away from this topic until, say, Wednesday? Absolutely no changes in the moderaion of this forum will be made, if any, until next weekend.

Mat

[/ QUOTE ]

SpearsBritney
08-06-2005, 03:38 PM
Buster,

I totally understand how much it must suck to see a lot of the older, funnier, and more mature posters leave OOT, only to be replaced by a new breed of unfunny and immature noobs like myself. But with the ever increasing popularity of poker, this transition was inevitable.

Unfortunately "100 noobs posting 20 times a day" is the new norm, and to have someone subjectively deleting and banning anything other than what's deemed offensive by 2+2, spam, reposts, etc., is only going to fan the flames, and make Mat's life a living hell.