PDA

View Full Version : Doubling The Bet ?

08-05-2005, 07:31 PM
I was watching a show on The Poker Channel in the UK, called The Poker Godfather. The premise of the show is that a poker pro visits your house to play an MTT online with you, dispensing advice along the way. In the episode I saw the pro was Gary Jones, he came 17th in the 2004 WSOP main event.

He advocated doubling the bet, this he did with AK at an early stage of the tournament. He said he continued playing this way through later levels. The theory being you are getting weak hands into the pot.

This is the first time I have heard this principle, has anyone heard it before? and does anyone use it or think its an admirable poker philosophy

threeonefour
08-05-2005, 10:01 PM
3x pwns 2x

but seriously I think you can be very profitable playing either way. the '2+2 way' is generally making it 3x+ the BB though.

EDIT: i am talking about preflop here. if you are refering to what most people call min-raising postflop there has been a lot written on that. you should do a search. actually, min-raising used to be generally frowned upon on 2+2 then it kind of game in style, not unlike 'floating' in the mid/high forum.

deacsoft
08-05-2005, 10:19 PM
I'm not a fan of the min-raise until late in a tourney. Even then I rarely use it.