PDA

View Full Version : I'm graduating in May 06 and I have some questions about moving

Maulik
08-05-2005, 06:59 PM
I've lived in the Maryland area for my entire life, its nice, whatever.

I need a change of setting new scenery. I need to go to a city like New York that's up all night. I'm pretty certain that I'm going to move after college so a few questions...

What kinds of questions do I need to ask myself before finding a city to consider?

Also, I think I would like London a lot and have no idea how to go about applying for jobs out there and interviewing, etc.

Any experiences could be useful & links to blogs, or other resources, etc.

Maulik
08-07-2005, 10:51 PM
bump

jakethebake
08-08-2005, 09:49 AM
What exactly do you want to do? What are you qualified to do? Can you make enough to live in New York or London? I'd guess there is a UK version of Monster.com.

Maulik
08-08-2005, 10:11 AM
I'm an Economics major at the University of Maryland. I'm one of the more competent ones as far as I've gathered. Currently working toward a minor/major in Mathematics... Anything in the financial sector would be a likely fit. The first year with the not so great pay would be tough, etc

jakethebake
08-08-2005, 10:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm an Economics major at the University of Maryland. I'm one of the more compentent ones as far as I've gathered.

[/ QUOTE ]

A competent economist? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Maulik
08-08-2005, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm an Economics major at the University of Maryland. I'm one of the more compentent ones as far as I've gathered.

[/ QUOTE ]

A competent economist? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be sure to proof read my resumes, lol

jakethebake
08-08-2005, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm an Economics major at the University of Maryland. I'm one of the more compentent ones as far as I've gathered. Currently working toward a minor/major in Mathematics... Anything in the financial sector would be a likely fit. The first year with the not so great pay would be tough, etc

[/ QUOTE ]

It helps if you know what you want to do, and have gotten some experience. I was an econ major, but took a lot of biz classes. I ended up graduating with an econ degree and more accounting hours than most biz majors (except accounting majors). At your school is Econ considered part of the business school or liberal arts? At will be difficult to get into finance w/o quite a few business classes.

Maulik
08-08-2005, 10:23 AM
Its a B.A. @ UMD. Its one of the better programs, and my resume should provide more than ample reasons for most jobs interviews to view my lack of business classes as a reason for not extending a job to some business major who has a degree in finance. Most finance classes are fluff anyways as are economics classes.

I've already started a business and failed miserably but all my previous interviews have gone extremely well in lieu of this as it allows me to share 'real-world' experience.