PDA

View Full Version : Family situation, need some advice

ClaytonN
08-05-2005, 06:47 PM
I've had a truck since age of 16. It was my granddad's old truck, and I've owned it but my mom has owned the insurance and such.

In mid May (day of HS graduation) the parking brake on my truck snapped out of place and the truck rolled down the driveway and hit a tree, making a huge dent in the bumper.

I'm never going to use the truck during the school year bc I'll be a freshman in college, and fixing it now would be a big hit to my net worth going into the college year (cost $350, I have about $2100). The family will be using my truck during the school year, I think. Next summer I'll have more money and will actually be using my truck in the fall at UGA, so fixing the bumper then seems more reasonable.

Unfortunately, the way with everything my mom and stepdad give me, is that every "gift" is conditional. My truck, my cell phone, the cell phone service, are all taken hostage when we have a disagreement. In essence these "gifts" aren't even mine, I'm just using them from my parents under the condition that I *obey*.

Well, I'm going to college now and I think that is horse [censored].

My mom insists I pay for this bumper before college starts or she will sell my truck. I am tired of my possessions from their side of the family being used as a leverage point.

What's my line?

jokerthief
08-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Walk

swede123
08-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Is the title to the truck in your name? Sue the bastards!

Swede

ClaytonN
08-05-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is the title to the truck in your name? Sue the bastards!

[/ QUOTE ]

No, my mother has the title to the truck.

swede123
08-05-2005, 06:57 PM
So you don't own it at all then, unfortunately. If the $300 to fix the truck is too much for your budget right now and your parents refuse to listen to reason I have the following advice/action plan:

1) Your parents are assholes.
2) Tell them to screw off, let them sell the truck for now and start saving money (get a part-time job etc) to buy a vehicle in your own name once you are done with school.

Swede

Cry Me A River
08-05-2005, 08:22 PM
1) If the registration is in your mom's name it's not yours and it never was.

2) Stop accepting gifts that come with strings (ie: If they buy you something that's not in your name, like a vehicle or cell phone contract, man up and tell them to buy you a real gift instead of giving you a loan).

3) Call their bluff on selling the truck - Good luck on them getting much of anything for it in the current condition and are they really going to want to sink money into the repairs just in order to sell it.

4) If they do sell it and you really need a vehicle next year, buy a beater to get you around until you're done with school.

Alternately, do you know anyone (ie: non-jerkish relative) who would be willing to lend you the $300 until next year?

istewart
08-05-2005, 08:23 PM
Call her raise. She probably only has ten-three suited.

The Armchair
08-05-2005, 08:28 PM
How much is the truck's bluebook value, with the dent in it?

cardcounter0
08-05-2005, 08:33 PM
Sounds like we have the same family. The solution is extremely simple. Stop accepting "gifts".

I moved out of my parents house when I turned 18. Everything I have and everything I own, I worked for and bought myself.

Though the years, family has tried to "give" me something or "help me out". "No, but thanks anyways." is the only thing I have ever given them.

Sometimes they have tried to tell me what to do, or what to do with my things that I have bought myself. Usually my answer is a lot less polite, but it still starts out with "NO..."

Sponger15SB
08-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Aren't you like a parent's wet dream?

Tell them to cut you some [censored] slack for not being a total [censored] up.

durron597
08-05-2005, 08:48 PM
One huge detail you left out. Is there sentimental value in this truck?

LeatherFace
08-05-2005, 08:55 PM
I think some of you need to re-read the post the parents are in no way a-holes.
[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, the way with everything my mom and stepdad give me, is that every "gift" is conditional. My truck, my cell phone, the cell phone service, are all taken hostage when we have a disagreement. In essence these "gifts" aren't even mine, I'm just using them from my parents under the condition that I *obey*.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a good deal if you ask me. If you want control of objects you need to purchase them yourself. If your thinking your parents are trying to take advantage of you and want to see you fail in college you are deeply mistaken.

mmbt0ne
08-05-2005, 09:15 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Sounds like we have the same family. The solution is extremely simple. Stop accepting "gifts".

I moved out of my parents house when I turned 18. Everything I have and everything I own, I worked for and bought myself.

Though the years, family has tried to "give" me something or "help me out". "No, but thanks anyways." is the only thing I have ever given them.

Sometimes they have tried to tell me what to do, or what to do with my things that I have bought myself. Usually my answer is a lot less polite, but it still starts out with "NO..."

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the right play if you really want to not put up with their rules any more. One of my friends did this after having one fight too many with his dad over curfews and whatnot. Besides, I've been to Athens a lot. If you're living on campus, you really have no need for a car. You'll have plenty of friends with cars and whenever people go out, it's going to be in groups anyway, so you can get a ride.

gorie
08-05-2005, 09:18 PM
i'm confused...
why should they continue to pay for your phone service if you did something bad ? it's a priviledge they give to you. do you expect them to pay for your phone service the rest of your life because at some point they gave you a cell phone as a gift ? wtf.

would they consider paying half the bill ?

you are pretty lucky to get a truck at 16 and a paid cell phone. are they paying for college too ? it wouldn't be too terrible if you paid the bill, you'd still have $1750, that's not too bad really... you'd probably feel pretty good about it if you did it without a fight.

they probably don't want a truck sitting around while you're in college waiting to be fixed... and why should they have to pay for it if it's yours ? and if it's not yours why do you get annoyed when they threaten to take it away ?

did you ask why they are in such a hurry to get it fixed ?

mmbt0ne
08-05-2005, 09:22 PM
One other thing I want to point out:

my mother has the title to the truck.

[/ QUOTE ]

my mom has owned the insurance and such.

[/ QUOTE ]

the parking brake on my truck snapped out of place

[/ QUOTE ]

If they want the truck fixed, since it's her truck, I really don't see how you have any responsibility to pay for repairs. If you don't want to pay for it, let her sell it.

cokehead
08-05-2005, 09:28 PM
You should just tell them not to use the truck and to leave it parked somewhere, until you can afford to fix it. If they want to use it before then, they can pay to fix it..

RunDownHouse
08-05-2005, 09:33 PM
That's an ok point. If they're like the landlords of the truck, shouldn't they pay for any repair or damages resulting from old age and regular maintenance?

Anyways, from the limited knowledge of your situation, I'd think it would be much cheaper for you to spend the $300 now than it would for you to buy a car next May. This goes double if your current ride is in otherwise good shape. Buying used cars sucks in lots of ways, and you'll be miserable if you spend $2k on a car only to put $1k into it a month later, all because you didn't want to spend $300 now.

Klepton
08-05-2005, 09:34 PM
steal a bike

banditbdl
08-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Politely decline to pay for the bumper right now and tell your mom that since it is her truck you'll understand if she does decide to sell it, but you hope she'll change her mind. Then simply add in that if she does keep the truck you'll get the bumper fixed or even repay her for fixing the bumper right now as soon as you find a reliable source of income next summer. (whether it's a regular job, or a poker "job").

mantasm
08-05-2005, 09:41 PM
Agree to fix the truck if the title will be transferred to you. Then sell it.

gorie
08-05-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Agree to fix the truck if the title will be transferred to you. Then sell it.

[/ QUOTE ]
nice.
even without selling it, it's a smart idea.

edit: nevermind, paying car insurance sucks. so yeah, sell it.

SippinSoma
08-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Pay for the damage. Ask your parents to transfer the cell phone, truck, and car insurance to your name. Pay for it yourself.

Stu Pidasso
08-05-2005, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My mom insists I pay for this bumper before college starts or she will sell my truck. I am tired of my possessions from their side of the family being used as a leverage point.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to decide if the ultility gained by using those possessions is worth enduring the attached strings. If it isn't then stop using them. If it is then stop whining about it. Take comfort in knowing that what ever path you take will be brighter than the spot your at now.

Stu

ClaytonN
08-05-2005, 11:46 PM
Regarding sentimental value, the truck used to belong to my grandfather, who passed away almost four years ago.

gorie: I have not had a real legitimate cell phone until 3-4 days ago. The cell phone I had since 16 was only for emergency phone calls, and got a very small amt. of minutes per month. Thanks to the hope scholarship, my education and my books at college are free, but my father is taking care of room and board + food plan. My mom and stepdad have put $0.00 towards my college education.

Getting immediately cut down to $1750 still sucks, even though the figure isnt' that bad. Even though I'm tight with my money, that's a good bit of spare change in my eyes, maybe not to some of you. I am my own person now and I'm not going to take this [censored] anymore when I'm in college, and I'm perfectly willing to give up this truck ('94 nissan) to prove my point.

they want to use my truck while I'm at college to ease the burden on their lives (even though they already have 1 van, a BMW, and a Honda).

I just wrote an e-mail as nicely as I could explaining I wasn't gonna fix the truck, and basically put the ball in their court. We'll see how it goes.

Paluka
08-05-2005, 11:53 PM
I'd like to hear who is paying for college, you or your parents?

Shilly
08-06-2005, 12:05 AM
Your mom and step-dad are [censored] ridiculous.

It seriously infuriates me when I hear stuff like this. You worked your ass off and paid for your college education, and they can't even pay $350 [censored] dollars to fix your vehicle? I don't really have any advice or solution to your problem, but you have my sympathy.

MEbenhoe
08-06-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a big hit to my net worth going into the college year (cost $350, I have about $2100).

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to stop referring to the amount of money you have as your net worth.

ClaytonN
08-06-2005, 12:22 AM
fine, will you stake me for .02-.04 NLHE, please?

[censored]
08-06-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1) If the registration is in your mom's name it's not yours and it never was.

2) Stop accepting gifts that come with strings (ie: If they buy you something that's not in your name, like a vehicle or cell phone contract, man up and tell them to buy you a real gift instead of giving you a loan).

3) Call their bluff on selling the truck - Good luck on them getting much of anything for it in the current condition and are they really going to want to sink money into the repairs just in order to sell it.

4) If they do sell it and you really need a vehicle next year, buy a beater to get you around until you're done with school.

Alternately, do you know anyone (ie: non-jerkish relative) who would be willing to lend you the $300 until next year?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's weird that there are responses after this one but there is.

DavidC
08-06-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

What's my line?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on what the truck is worth (and whether or not this will incur taxation), agree to fix the bumper, but ask that the vehicle be registered in your name, under your ownership.

Good luck at college, bro. Have a good time.

A lot of families have these "conditional gift" things happening, you're not alone (but holy [censored] does it ever suck!).

I guess the ideal solution is to have infinite money... if you figure out how to do that too, then give me infinite money too (don't worry, you'll still have infinite money left over).

poison_lady
08-06-2005, 12:38 AM
One day when you are a parent with kids of your own you will understand. Sometimes when you are young you don't realize all the sacrifices your parents go through for you.

DavidC
08-06-2005, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a big hit to my net worth going into the college year (cost $350, I have about $2100).

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm mildly curious here... if he doesn't own the car or his computer, etc. then what is his net worth (my guess, the amount of money he has less his debts). /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DavidC
08-06-2005, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm mildly curious here... if he doesn't own the car or his computer, etc. then what is his net worth (my guess, the amount of money he has less his debts). /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically, I guess one day you can wake up and your parents can say, "Guess what, I'm taking all those clothes that I bought you back. I was just lending them to you."

It'd be a tad embarassing, and really surreal, but I don't know how I could stop them (when I was younger, anyways).

KaneKungFu123
08-06-2005, 12:57 AM
when i was 8 my grandpa gave me a sweater. then he told me to get a job.

KaneKungFu123
08-06-2005, 01:00 AM
let me give u the 411.

a parent denying cell phone service to their teenager is like totally a crime against the world.

MEbenhoe
08-06-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
fine, will you stake me for .02-.04 NLHE, please?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

P.S. is 1000 BBs enough to get you started?

tripdad
08-06-2005, 01:29 AM
from a parent's standpoint (though not a parent of a child your age), i think your parents are being ridiculous. it seems to me that attaching strings to gifts such as these can only teach a kid to suck up to people if they think they can squeeze something out of them.

as for my kids, they will get a job when they are old enough to do so, and pay for their own vehicles, cell phones, and college. sure, i'll let'em drive my car if they need it and can't afford to buy one, but i'm not shelling out for cell phones. hell, there wasn't such a thing when i was a teenager(well, i knew one person who had one when they first came out, but it was the size of a friggin' purse).

i'll take care of their clothing, food and shelter, give them a solid moral and educational foundation, but they will learn early in life that handouts aren't available to most people in adult life...that they are the captains of their own ship. let's not forget that we live in a capitalist society, and it's survival of the fittest.

cheers!

shadow29
08-06-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
as for my kids, they will get a job when they are old enough to do so, and pay for their own vehicles, cell phones, and college.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. maybe im just spoiled but theres no way i could be going to the school to which i go w/o my parents paying for it. mebe you can rethink if they get into an elite school that costs $$. i know they would appreciate it (like i most certainly do).

08-06-2005, 02:19 AM
You need to stand on your own two feet son.

Denny Crane.

Lazymeatball
08-06-2005, 02:33 AM
Well, your option is to spend $350 and get a free 12 year old truck next fall. That ain't bad value. Forget the fact that the truck has been your so far, because if your parents, or your grandad or mom or whatever the situation is gave it to you, and it's still in your mom's name, and she pays for insurance, it's not your truck.

btw, is the dent purely a cosmetic defect, or does it somehow affect the function of the truck?

ClaytonN
08-06-2005, 02:36 AM
It's purely cosmetic. That's why I'm not bending.

Recliner
08-06-2005, 03:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's purely cosmetic. That's why I'm not bending.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's an idea. Fix it yourself. Locate a used bumper and install it.

ClaytonN
08-06-2005, 03:37 AM
I don't know how to change the oil on my truck, much less repair the bumper.

It's sad, I know.

zephed
08-06-2005, 04:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

It's sad, I know.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's easy, you just twist some bolts and stuff.

Skip Brutale
08-06-2005, 04:46 AM
Clayton, you are a [censored] pussy. Other people are dying in useless civil wars, or starving. And you are whining like a bitch because your parents will take away your toys when you act up.

You are a little child. You think you are a man? When I buy dogfood it is more of a hit to my networth than that bumper is to yours. Mommmy takes your cell phone? I dont have a cell phone, because talking on the phone is something bitches do to amuse themselves. You are a bitch and will always be one.

I am disgusted by this thread. Go discuss it on an mtv discussion forum you baby.

codewarrior
08-06-2005, 07:10 AM
I haven't read any other replies.

Get a j.o.b. in the summer. Buy your own [censored].

codewarrior
08-06-2005, 07:12 AM
I love you.

sexdrugsmoney
08-06-2005, 07:21 AM
Do the right thing.

mmbt0ne
08-06-2005, 12:20 PM
I'd like to hear who is paying for college, you or your parents?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to congratulate you on reading the post right above your's. Just in case you still haven't, the answer is the state of Georgia.

Homer
08-06-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? That's how much money he has. Enough with the crappy one-liners.

augie00
08-06-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Clayton, you are a [censored] pussy. Other people are dying in useless civil wars, or starving. And you are whining like a bitch because your parents will take away your toys when you act up.

You are a little child. You think you are a man? When I buy dogfood it is more of a hit to my networth than that bumper is to yours. Mommmy takes your cell phone? I dont have a cell phone, because talking on the phone is something bitches do to amuse themselves. You are a bitch and will always be one.

I am disgusted by this thread. Go discuss it on an mtv discussion forum you baby.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh good, another person who's life sucks so they aim to make other people's lives suck too.

P.S. If you can't afford dog food you shouldn't have a dog, dumbass.

LeatherFace
08-06-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

P.S. If you can't afford dog food you shouldn't have a dog, dumbass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did he say he had a dog? The dogfood is clearly for himself.

augie00
08-06-2005, 01:26 PM
No matter what you tell your parents, they will always believe that you've got the money; because you do. Your parents don't think like we do. So whatever you do, don't make it a matter of money.

Make it a matter of, "It's not even my goddamn truck, I'm not going to drive it, so I'm not going to fix it."

If your parents won't let you have it for your sophomore year, so be it. You don't need a car anyway.

ClaytonN
08-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Just want to say thanks for the points from everyone, positive and negative.

Going into this I had decided that due to the money and the frustration surrounding the strings attached to the gifts that I was not going to take it anymore. I was just curious if I was out of my mind or not.

8 more days, 8 more days, 8 more days...

ClaytonN
08-06-2005, 02:54 PM
Okay, my mom e-mailed back, which is good because our conversations are more well organized and logical compared to voiced conversations, which can tend to get carried away or go on a tangent.

She didn't address the action she was going to take, but said the issue at hand was more my responsibility with dealing with the issue and less with actually repairing the truck. I quote, "You have prioritized your
summer in a way that was meaningful only to you.... This isn't as much about
the truck as it is about you having accepted your responsibility for the
accident, which you did not."

Of course, we disagree on this, and me making my living this summer off of online poker and lawn mowing probably contributed to this one.

Since she made clear that it was HER truck and "loaning" it to me, I feel if it's even my responsibility at all, I should decide when I can fix the truck since the dent is only aesthetical.

Ah well. Thankfully she isn't pissed, so I haven't burned any bridges.

Yeti
08-06-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
steal a bike

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent.

[ QUOTE ]
let me give u the 411.

a parent denying cell phone service to their teenager is like totally a crime against the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent.

Sponger15SB
08-06-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this guy (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=3069178&amp;page=0&amp;view=c ollapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=14&amp;vc=1) actually has the balls to make a post criticizing Clayton's situation?

damn.

LeatherFace
08-06-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
me making my living this summer off of online poker and lawn mowing

[/ QUOTE ]

nice combo

Redd
08-06-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
steal a bike

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading this thread here because my required level of satisfaction with it is now more than fulfilled. VNH.

FourKing Hell
08-06-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Getting immediately cut down to $1750 still sucks

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm perfectly willing to give up this truck ('94 nissan) to prove my point

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me get this straight. You own $2100 and are willing to give up a truck, including insurance payments, to prove a point to your mom? While it would of course be much nicer to own it yourself and get to do with it whatever you damn well please, you need to look at where you're at right now. How much money would I have to pay you to take over that deal from you? Would you pay that same amount to piss off your mom?

ClaytonN
08-06-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How much money would I have to pay you to take over that deal from you? Would you pay that same amount to piss off your mom?

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

FourKing Hell
08-06-2005, 06:19 PM
Your mom gives you stuff and uses this to leverage you into obeying her. Consider how much the first benefits you, and how much the latter costs you, and decide whether or not you want to give that up.

The benefit is having the truck. The costs are $350 and whatever your mom makes you do that you don't like.

Giving up the truck has a relatively high replacement cost; buying a new vehicle takes a major chunk out of your net worth/bankroll. My point: consider that.

ClaytonN
08-06-2005, 06:20 PM
Getting free of bs and strings &gt; keeping truck but continuing to deal with this nonsense.

i can afford working extra over the school year to save for a car of my own if I have to.

besides, i've essentially called her bluff

gorie
08-06-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
besides, i've essentially called her bluff

[/ QUOTE ]

meaning they decided they're going to pay for it, or they're ok with waiting a year for you to pay it or what ?

ClaytonN
08-06-2005, 06:26 PM
that it's come down to a fair disagreement of opinion at the moment and the threats have stopped. Meaning, as I figured, that I'm about 95% certain she's not selling the truck for a variety of reasons.

CaptSensible
08-06-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think some of you need to re-read the post the parents are in no way a-holes.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a good deal if you ask me. If you want control of objects you need to purchase them yourself. If your thinking your parents are trying to take advantage of you and want to see you fail in college you are deeply mistaken.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind of agree here with this post.

First off, I know how you feel. Let me ask you this. Do your parents pay for your cell phone bill? You said they pay the insurance and other costs for the truck. That isn't cheap. The poster that said until you buy and care for the costs of all the stuff you own you'll always be subject to their control of those objects is correct.

Secondly,
Have a conversation with your parents. Tell them that when they give you something and then use it against you that it makes you feel like they never really gave it to you.

Maybe they need to be more communicative and tell you when they give you something that there are conditions attached.
Ask them to, before they give you something, come to you and tell you what the conditions are. You can then decide whether or not you want to recieve the gift.

Thirdly. Ask yourself this: "If when they first gave you the truck and told you the condition was that if something happened to it they would want you to take care of it right away" would you still have accepted the truck?

Your parents actually sound like good people. They gave you a car, a cellphone, etc...They may have some control issues but that's ok. Believe me, nobody's parents are perfect. If this is the worst they do then your WAY ahead of the pack.

They seem, only from the info on your post, like well intentioned people. Personally, I'd pay for repair of the truck. They've been paying the "utilities" on it since giving to you. In an ideal world they wouldn't have asked and you'd have fixed the truck. Since the world is far from ideal I'd just sit and talk with them about it and get the communication going.

Sponger15SB
08-06-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i can afford working extra over the school year to save for a car of my own if I have to

[/ QUOTE ]

Get better at poker, and you won't have to say thing like "work". If you've only got $2000 lying around and you're in high school (where you spend no money), you're either not that good or you spend too much time posting in OOT.

gorie
08-06-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you're either not that good or you spend too much time posting in OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]
why one or the other ? both apply to me. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ClaytonN
08-06-2005, 06:32 PM
I spend too much time in OOT.

In July I hit a wall b/c my poker roll was too large a % of what I had overall, and I got scared. Played smaller, posted more in OOT. Doh.

Will be different (and better) when college starts. Hopefully I can 8-table the 33's on two monitors by next summer.

CaptSensible
08-06-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

She didn't address the action she was going to take, but said the issue at hand was more my responsibility with dealing with the issue and less with actually repairing the truck. I quote, "You have prioritized your
summer in a way that was meaningful only to you.... This isn't as much about
the truck as it is about you having accepted your responsibility for the
accident, which you did not."

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO. I hate to say it but your mom wins. Her points are right on the money. Between the ages of 1 and 22 we think mostly of ourselves. Of course I'm being general but those of us over the age of 30 know what I mean, lol.

My only fault with your mom was that she didn't first tell you this after YOU didn't come and discuss the situation with her after the truck got dented and just proceeded to say she'd sell the truck.

Jim Kuhn
08-06-2005, 07:41 PM
I guess I am confused? They 'gave' you the cell phone and the truck? Yet they pay the monthly service plan, insurance, registration fees, etc. Would/could you afford to pay these yourself? If so, sit down (with your mom first minus the stepdad) and explain that you would like the additional responsibilities of paying for these yourself.

Act more like an adult and they will treat you more like an adult. They will appreciate the fact that you initiate an adult to adult talk. They sound like they are good parents that are trying to help you grow into a responsible adult. I can assure you it is difficult for all growing up in a divorced family!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Lottery Larry
08-07-2005, 08:09 PM
"So you don't own it at all then and your parents refuse to listen to reason
1) Your parents are assholes."

How old are YOU?

Lottery Larry
08-07-2005, 08:12 PM
"Unfortunately, the way with everything my mom and stepdad give me, is that every "gift" is conditional. My truck, my cell phone, the cell phone service, are all taken hostage when we have a disagreement. In essence these "gifts" aren't even mine, I'm just using them from my parents under the condition that I *obey*.

Well, I'm going to college now and I think that is horse [censored]."

So, you want to do whatever you please but continue to live under your parents' financial umbrella? I'm guessing that the cell phone and others are as much "yours" as it turns out the truck is.

Appreciation and gratitude, along with a little humility, might be nice for you to pick up.

Recliner
08-07-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It's sad, I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

No what's sad is you don't even bother trying to figure out how to do it. Can you use a wrench? I'm going to assume you can. Do you think you can take something like 4-8 bolts off the truck? Again I'm going to assume you can.

You could go here (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/index.php) and ask some people if they can direct you to a repair manual for the truck or where the bolts are located, and what model years bumpers will work on your truck. Next go on google and look for auto junk yards in your area. You'll want the ones that specialize in imports. Call them and ask if they have what you are looking for. (They may or may not be of any help.) Grab some metric wrenches or a ratchet set and drive out to the junkyard. Find a bump, take it off. Go pay for it. Ebay might also have what you're looking for.

Its not a hard thing to do. Show some initiative and try to learn a new skill and take care of things yourself because it will show your parents that you can take care of yourself and act like an adult, neither of which you have been doing.

sinfulslick18
08-07-2005, 09:52 PM
piss on your possessions and see if they take them after that.