PDA

View Full Version : "Liberating" Iraq in the 1960's

Chris Alger
03-16-2003, 09:18 AM
A recent piece by historian and former official Roger Morris in the March 14 NY Times illuminates America’s prior history of “liberating” Iraq, notably by helping bring Saddam’s Baathists to power during the Kennedy administration.

In 1963, the Iraqi leader was Abdel Karim Kassem, who in 1958 had deposed the monarchy originally imposed by Great Britain. “From 1958 to 1960,” Morris writes, “despite Kassem’s harsh repression, the Eisenhower administration abided him as a counter to Washington’s Arab nemesis of the era, Gamal Abdel Nasser of Egypt — much as Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush would aid Saddam Hussein in the 1980's against the common foe of Iran. By 1961, the Kassem regime had grown more assertive. Seeking new arms rivaling Israel’s arsenal, threatening Western oil interests, resuming his country’s old quarrel with Kuwait, talking openly of challenging the dominance of America in the Middle East — all steps Saddam Hussein was to repeat in some form — Kassem was regarded by Washington as a dangerous leader who must be removed.”

So the CIA tried to assasinate him. When that failed, it instigated a coup in February 1963 dominated by Baath party members, then “a relatively small political faction influential in the Iraqi army,” but suitably authoritarian and anticommunist, whose ranks included the 25-year-old Saddam Hussein.

The liberation of Iraq from Kassam was a great success for the free world, and the Baathists soon received fresh supplies of US arms while US and UK corporations began doing business in Iraq for the first time. The people of Iraq, however, were somewhat less better off:

“According to Western scholars, as well as Iraqi refugees and a British human rights organization, the 1963 coup was accompanied by a bloodbath. Using lists of suspected Communists and other leftists provided by the C.I.A., the Baathists systematically murdered untold numbers of Iraq’s educated elite — killings in which Saddam Hussein himself is said to have participated. No one knows the exact toll, but accounts agree that the victims included hundreds of doctors, teachers, technicians, lawyers and other professionals as well as military and political figures.” Note the obvious point that Morris fails to emphasize: the CIA-supplied lists of “suspected Communists” and “leftists” amounted to a cross-section of Iraq’s ruling and educated elite, probably better described as the usual group of patriotic nationalists opposed to US dominance over their country.

Morris also notes that another CIA-backed coup in 1968 brought Saddam closer to the power he would eventually consolidate in the late 1970's, again underscoring the US commitment to dictatorship in Iraq. “Serving on the staff of the National Security Council under Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon in the late 1960's, I often heard C.I.A. officers — including Archibald Roosevelt, grandson of Theodore Roosevelt and a ranking C.I.A. official for the Near East and Africa at the time — speak openly about their close relations with the Iraqi Baathists.” Apart from Morris’s piece, we know now that the “close relationship” remained largely unbroken during Saddam’s worst human rights abuses and purges, including the “gassing of his own people,” an atrocity on par with that of the Turks during the Clinton administration. The relationship proves again what students of the Central American and Vietnam conflicts have learned all too well: there is no limit to the degree of human abuse that a regime can inflict upon its people while remaining compatible with US interests and while retaining US support.

The covert actions that led Saddam to power in Iraq were undertaken by Americans who routinely described themselves as fighting for national security, democracy, freedom and human rights, the same rhetoric invoked by Bush and his warmongering supporters these days. Then, as now, these self-glorifying characterizations remained unchallengeable by the mainstream press and as a result are accepted by most Americans.

The lesson is this: unless we are about to embark on an act of widespread carnage that could lead to an even worse government in Iraq, as we have before, but this time with incalculable risks for the region and the world, the real issue for Americans is not whether Saddam is likely to change his stripes, but whether there’s any evidence that our leaders have changed theirs.

Link to the Morris article: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/14/opinion/14MORR.html?tntemail1

Parmenides
03-16-2003, 10:06 AM
The foereign policy of the CIA has always run counter to the supposed belief in liberty and justice for all. A large percentage of the American public opposes the Bush doctrine of fascist/colonial occupation of oil producing states. Unfortunately, a majority never wanted Bush to come to power. It didn't matter then, and it will matter less and less as the government exerts fascist tendencies at home.

Bush is clearly the most imperialistic world leader since the likes of Stalin, Tojo, and Mr.Schikelgruber.

John Cole
03-16-2003, 01:36 PM
Now, of course, since communists, intellectuals, and other leftists have already been purged from Iraq, an accompanying bloodbath will not be necessary.

Interesting interview with Harvey Cox and John Esposito on NPR the other day concerning Bush's Evangelical rebirth and how it guides his thinking. Cox, a leading theologian, sees Bush's motivations stemming, in part, from his religious convictions. Cox is troubled slightly that Bush has begun to rely increasingly on his religious convictions to make secular decisions, although he sees nothing wrong with secular leaders turning to God for guidance. Esposito, a scholar of Islamic studies, reported that many in the Muslim world in the aftermath of 9/11, had sympathy for the US and its policies. As time goes on, however, and Bush's rhetoric takes on an increasingly Evangelical tenor, many in the Muslim world have begun to believe that Bush's project involves pitting my true God against your infidel God.

Beyond the ideas of democracy, freedom, and human rights, the added element of Evangelical struggle complicates our foreign policy even more.

adios
03-17-2003, 01:18 PM
"A recent piece by historian and former official Roger Morris in the March 14 NY Times illuminates America’s prior history of “liberating” Iraq, notably by helping bring Saddam’s Baathists to power during the Kennedy administration."

Certainly to be another article bashing the US by taking a look in the rear view mirror some 40 odd years ago by a fair and impartial NY Times journalist.

adios
03-17-2003, 01:20 PM
"Interesting interview with Harvey Cox and John Esposito on NPR the other day"

NPR a fair, objective and impartial news source if I ever knew one /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

Chris Alger
03-17-2003, 01:54 PM
In other words, facts that shed negative light on US actions -- "Americaq bashing" -- aren't worthy of consideration, and we are patriots not when we exercise our freedoms but by ignoring historical facts that raise questions about the official line. Chomsky's right: ours is a system that diactators would use if they were smarter.

MMMMMM
03-17-2003, 02:26 PM
Raising questions about our long past actions is fine. However, over-weighting these matters and overestimating the relevancy of such in today's dramatically changed geopolitical picture is also OK, I suppose, but misses the point most of the time.

Iraq is under the heel of a most brutal and murderous thug, and what we may have done 40 years ago does not address the issue of what needs to be done today.

Chris Alger
03-17-2003, 03:03 PM
"overestimating the relevancy of such in today's dramatically changed geopolitical picture is also OK, I suppose, but misses the point most of the time."

What's changed? The institutions that led to US support for Saddam and other dictators haven't changed. The Middle East has the attention of policy-makers not because of an abstract concern for democracy, freedom or human rights, but because of its strategic power as the world's major source of fossil fuels. This has remained the case since before WWII, and will likely become more important in coming decades. The major change on the international scene is that US adventurism is less likely to lead to a superpower confrontation because we're the only one. So what's changed is the inability of others to deter the US, and the result is exactly what one would expect from a state with aggressive interventionist tendencies.

"Iraq is under the heel of a most brutal and murderous thug, and what we may have done 40 years ago does not address the issue of what needs to be done today."

I'ts not "40 years ago," but the last 40 years of tolerating and supporting the "most brutal and murderous thug," ending only when he failed to abide by orders to withdraw from Kuwait. It has as much relevance for what "needs to be done" because it shows that the US has little interest in democratizing Iraq and therefore cannot be entrusted with the task, certainly not one that guarantees the killing of untold thousands and likely to spark a wave of anti-US hatred and retalliation for intense, more intractable and more deadly than anything we've seen to date.

adios
03-17-2003, 03:35 PM
"What's changed? The institutions that led to US support for Saddam and other dictators haven't changed."

At least you have a sense of humor.

"The Middle East has the attention of policy-makers not because of an abstract concern for democracy, freedom or human rights, but because of its strategic power as the world's major source of fossil fuels."

Somebody told me once that the trilateral or something like that controlled the world. I guess the next stop is Saudi Arabia. I suppose you'd say that Qatar and Kuwait are US puppet states as well.

" This has remained the case since before WWII, and will likely become more important in coming decades."

The US was once an oil exporter.

" The major change on the international scene is that US adventurism is less likely to lead to a superpower confrontation because we're the only one."

So Saudi Arabia is next!

" So what's changed is the inability of others to deter the US, and the result is exactly what one would expect from a state with aggressive interventionist tendencies."

Ah Chris would like to see a return to the fine days of the cold war where armegeddan was a button push away. Let's return to the super-power days of the Soviet Union to provide a counter balance to "aggressive interventionist tendencies" by the USA.

John Cole
03-17-2003, 07:47 PM
I know, Tom, it's really a pain to hear a host ask a question, wait for an answer, and refrain from shouting over the participants. I guess I'll go back to getting information from the Fox News Channel where only William Bennett is afforded the opportunity to talk at length without constant interruptions. Gee, wonder why that is?