PDA

View Full Version : Video Card Suggestions(2x2001FP), DVI or Analog?

Lawnboy
08-05-2005, 04:19 PM
So I've been running dual 2001FPs at 1200x1600 for awhile but one of the outputs on my video card went dead. So I'm down to 4 tables.

Would like to head out to Best Buy/Circuit City/CompUSA to pick up a new one. Any suggestions? I'm not a gamer, I just need Dual 1200x1600 at a reasonable price. What video memory is the minimum to handle this? Any reason to upgrade to DVI instead of the standard analog connectors?

Thanks in Advance,
Lawnboy

MyMindIsGoing
08-05-2005, 04:24 PM
If you are not a gamer, just get any card with dual dvi output. They will all (all I seen atleast) be good enough.

Lawnboy
08-05-2005, 04:30 PM
"If you are not a gamer, just get any card with dual dvi output. They will all (all I seen atleast) be good enough. "

My only concern was whether any old card with dual DVI output can do 1200x1600 on both outputs? I saw a card that could do dual DVI but only at a lower res. Many cards only spec max res for single output...

Or maybe I'm wrong? Dunno.

MyMindIsGoing
08-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Get a "modern" card with dual dvi. The amounth of memory on it usualy tells how old it is. Just find a card you might like and look it up. Are you gonna buy a AGP or pci express one? Oh and we are talking about 1600*1200 here right?

profpeebody
08-08-2005, 05:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Any reason to upgrade to DVI instead of the standard analog connectors?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are there noticable differences between dvi (digital) and vga (analog)?

If I run a pair of the exact same lcd from the same graphics card, will I notice a difference if connect one monitor via dvi and the other via vga to my ati graphics card (only one dvi out and one vga out)?
How bad is there difference? Will I get a headache? Will I get annoyed if I am a little picky?

AncientPC
08-08-2005, 02:46 PM
Depends on the person. You should probably visit a local computer store and do some research yourself.

I have 2 x Dell 2001FPs hooked up on one 1 analog and 1 DVI connector. There was a slight difference when I compared the two (most noticeably the colors were brighter on the DVI) but if I used each connection independently I wouldn't know the difference. I merely decreased the contrast on the DVI connection a little bit and I can't tell the difference any more.

Keith Fellmy
08-10-2005, 12:32 PM
I use Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 with dual VGA ports and I have no problems with running my dual moniter set up. Only have one 2001fp. The other is the newest Sony M565 (or something like that). Once I win some more money then I will buy another 2001fp.

Bought the card at my local Comp USA. Was $119 or $129 I can't remember.

Keith Fellmy
08-10-2005, 12:36 PM
almost forgot. If you have an HP computer, there is an issue with the computer and the AATI RAdeon cards. I got one of those cards and couldn't get it to work...and neither could the workers at Comp USA.

Also I live three blocks from Best Buy, but still get in my car and drive 8 miles to the Comp USA. I just like the store and help better than Best Buy!!!!

AncientPC
08-10-2005, 12:59 PM
CompUSA's employees work off comission and their prices are horribly bloated in general.