PDA

View Full Version : $150 NL Online Tourney

soda
08-05-2005, 03:50 PM
11 players left, I'm interested in 1st place primarily. Been playing tight solid throughout. All blind steals without a real big hand have worked preflop, so I've only shown down good holdings at worst (KQs was the worst hand).

Our table has 6 players. I have T53,000 in chips. Blinds are 3,000, 6,000. My stack is very average. The previous orbit, I raised UTG with 88, 3x the BB, was reraised another couple thousand by a shortstack with AQ. Lost that one. It's the only hand I've shown in a couple of hours.

Ok, UTG again, I get AQo. I raise to 18,000. The button, who has T75,000 reraises all in. He covers both of the blinds, who fold. Earlier he called an all in master for all his chips with a K9s. He was certainly in no chip trouble at the time. The only other hand I can recall him showing was AA UTG - he made a standard raise and called an all in reraise. He's been playing hands thoughout the tourney and raising with them. I'd describe his play as tight/solid if it weren't for that one weird call.

Anyway, he reraises all in. What's the best play here?

Thanks,

soda

Lloyd
08-05-2005, 03:54 PM
What range of hands are you putting your opponent on?

What are your chances of winning against that range of hands?

What odds are you getting?

How do your chances of winning compare to the odds you're getting?

Hint: Get Poker Stove. (http://www.pokerstove.com)

jgunnip
08-05-2005, 04:31 PM
You're getting just less than 2.3 to 1 on a call. What is the payout structure like? Who are the other players? What are their stacks? Do you have a good reads on their play?

If you're guning for 1st (i.e. 2nd basically = 6th) I think you have to call this.

fwiw I push preflop.

scal78
08-05-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
11 players left, I'm interested in 1st place primarily. Been playing tight solid throughout. All blind steals without a real big hand have worked preflop, so I've only shown down good holdings at worst (KQs was the worst hand).

Our table has 6 players. I have T53,000 in chips. Blinds are 3,000, 6,000. My stack is very average. The previous orbit, I raised UTG with 88, 3x the BB, was reraised another couple thousand by a shortstack with AQ. Lost that one. It's the only hand I've shown in a couple of hours.

Ok, UTG again, I get AQo. I raise to 18,000. The button, who has T75,000 reraises all in. He covers both of the blinds, who fold. Earlier he called an all in master for all his chips with a K9s. He was certainly in no chip trouble at the time. The only other hand I can recall him showing was AA UTG - he made a standard raise and called an all in reraise. He's been playing hands thoughout the tourney and raising with them. I'd describe his play as tight/solid if it weren't for that one weird call.

Anyway, he reraises all in. What's the best play here?

Thanks,

soda

[/ QUOTE ]

This SAME EXACT scenario happened to me a few weeks ago and I posted something similar. We were 6 handed, 2 short of the final table. I ended up folding, but I regretted it.

It depends what range you have your opponent on. Sounds like he is willing to make a play for all his chips with a wider range of hands, judging up his K-9 hand.

You are dominated by: AA-KK-QQ-AK. That's only 4 hands that you are a big underdog to. JJ and lower, you are in a race, and anything less than AQ you are ahead of.

I make this call. It's a great spot to double up and give you a legit shot at taking down the tournament.

If the guy was tight, then that might change things.

jcm4ccc
08-05-2005, 05:02 PM
You don't have enough chips to play it as you did, OOP. Suppose the button had just called you. Then there is 45,000 in the pot, and you only have 35,000 chips and are out of position. Flops comes and misses you. Now what do you do? Do you bet all-in and hope he folds? Check, with the intention of folding? There is just no good way to play that hand.

You needed to either push or fold. Certainly, in this situation, AQ is huge. Push preflop.

betgo
08-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Open push. Call the reraise.

locutus2002
08-05-2005, 09:24 PM
You are getting great pot odds to call this so its not even close.

The fact that hero has been active and capable of making marginal plays works in your favor.

I like your 3XBB raise. Most people want to just pick up the blinds and give them back the next two hands, but I am happy playing and trying to accumulate chips with such a strong hand.

woodguy
08-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Raise all in PF.

And it's really not close.

Regards,
Woodguy

whiskeytown
08-06-2005, 12:17 AM
a Push is great here -

RB

betgo
08-06-2005, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like your 3XBB raise. Most people want to just pick up the blinds and give them back the next two hands, but I am happy playing and trying to accumulate chips with such a strong hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not that much likelier to be called with a smaller raise than a push. If you get called, you are not that big a favorite to win the hand.