PDA

View Full Version : Internet Poker/World Travel Itinerary. Thoughts?

2ndGoat
08-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Using Star Alliances round-the-world package for $4400. Came up with this this afternoon, and it will likely change 100 times before I actually book it, and I might not bother at all. One week in each location unless otherwise listed.

Start in DC
Vegas, 3 weeks
Honolulu, 3 weeks
Sydney
Christchurch, 3 weeks
Tokyo
Vienna
Prague
Athens
Paris
Barcelona
3-4 stops in the caribbean (~4 weeks total)
Back to DC

Depart March 06. Maybe earlier, maybe later. Might manage cheaper airfare by one-waying til I pass bangkok and then loading up on cheap airfare. Can do it a lot cheaper by not choosing the some of the most expensive cities in the world, but these are the places I want to go (though I might still decide to swing from Australia through Africa and South America rather than Europe).

Who's with me?

2nd

Arnfinn Madsen
08-05-2005, 03:27 PM
Exchange Athens (100s of nicer European cities) /images/graemlins/smile.gif

HavanaBanana
08-05-2005, 03:29 PM
Sounds good, I could do something like that!

What is this ChristChurch though, I mean I have seen some decent players out of there, but 3 weeks?

ToT

2ndGoat
08-05-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like what?

[ QUOTE ]
What is this ChristChurch though, I mean I have seen some decent players out of there, but 3 weeks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good friend just moved out there to play in a brass band, otherwise I would probably just visit Auckland for a week or couple days.

Btw... specific recommendations for the caribbean are welcome- currently looking at San Juan, Virgin Islands, Aruba, The Bahamas, Bermuda (no more than 4).

2nd

GrannyMae
08-05-2005, 04:19 PM
i don't understand the package they are selling.

22 weeks for $4,400?

CHEAP! that includes what?

2ndGoat
08-05-2005, 07:13 PM
<<CHEAP! that includes what?>>
The airfare. And nothing else.

2nd

Arnfinn Madsen
08-05-2005, 09:05 PM
Well you have got Vienna, Prague and Paris on your list so 3 of the nicest are covered. In front of Athen (own experiences and others) I would put with clear margin:

Venice
Copenhagen
Krakow
Berlin
Bratislava
Amsterdam
Moscow (visa is a hazzle though)
Rome

MicroBob
08-05-2005, 11:40 PM
care to provide any details regarding your lodging in each of your destinations? do you just wing-it and get a fairly cheap hotel? I would think that would get pretty pricey pretty fast.

Soul Rebel
08-06-2005, 12:40 AM
Make sure you get to Italy while you're in Europe. Florence is my favorite.

2ndGoat
08-06-2005, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
care to provide any details regarding your lodging in each of your destinations?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. But only because I haven't thought that far ahead.

In Vegas and Christchurch I can stay with friends. As for the rest, well, hopefully the 20/40 at party will stay as good as it has been. The idea is basically to pay for the trip while I'm on it, or at least offset the majority of the expense. I've historically not been great about working when I travel, would have to prove I can swing it on a smaller trip first. Perhaps if I cut down on the destinations and increase the length of time at each, I would do better with settling into working.

The other option is DC->Vegas->Honolulu->Christchurch and back, if I decided not to go all out. I would follow up on the caribbean tour maybe 6 months later, which might be shortened into just a plain vacation without any real aims at making an income in the process.

Oh, and Arnfinn... thanks for the other suggestions in Europe. You have probably influenced that itenerary for the better.

By the way you're all invited /images/graemlins/wink.gif

2nd

kenberman
08-06-2005, 01:17 AM
for the love of god skip the carribean - you can go their anytime.

2ndGoat
08-06-2005, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
for the love of god skip the carribean - you can go their anytime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken... but it's a flat rate ticket and I'd hate come home without squeezing every drop out of it. Perhaps I'll try to make something out of South America after all- I keep seeing Buenos Aires come up as a great destination.

2nd

MicroBob
08-06-2005, 01:57 AM
Yeah.

I see a lot of Buenos Aries talk too.

My GF is from Lima, Peru and we might head there next summer or fall to visit her family and friends.

High crime and very crowded though.

It has it's good qualities too of course... but there's a reason why her whole family is trying to get to the U.S.

but it could be a more exotic destination for you.

of course...you could also consider Rio de Janeiro come Carnival time (Mardi Gras). Pretty crazy obviously (and I am assuming you are looking for some monster parties on this trek).

Aruba is very near Venezuela...so if you hit that island you could swing by there fairly easily.
and then hike down to Rio for Carnival in Feb. then down to Buenos Aries.
something like that.

2ndGoat
08-06-2005, 02:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(and I am assuming you are looking for some monster parties on this trek).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually pretty sedate... not that I won't be looking for the occasional drunken revelry, but I dont think Carnival/Mardi Gras is really my thing.

But perhaps I'll catch you in Argentina sometime /images/graemlins/wink.gif

2nd

Nightwish
08-06-2005, 05:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
<<CHEAP! that includes what?>>
The airfare. And nothing else.

[/ QUOTE ]
Also realize that round-the-world packages require you to keep on moving in a specific direction. For example, you cannot do Vegas->Sydney->Christchurch in that order.

KaneKungFu123
08-06-2005, 05:43 AM
if you rented an apartment for 6 monthes, the same hotel room would cost 5-6 times as much, atleast in SE asia.

i think you should just pick 4 or 5 places.

[ QUOTE ]
care to provide any details regarding your lodging in each of your destinations? do you just wing-it and get a fairly cheap hotel? I would think that would get pretty pricey pretty fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

MicroBob
08-06-2005, 06:10 AM
what i looked up on google today because I had no freaking clue:

ChristChurch is a city in New Zealand

pokerjoker
08-06-2005, 06:49 AM
I lived in Australia for 6 months. I sugest you go to Cairns instead of sydney....Sydney is really cool but if you want a vacation destination Cairns is the place to go. Scuba diving the great barrier reef is amazing. If youre single you'll particularly love Australia.

New Zealand is also amazing. Im in Japan right now, and Tokyo is not that cool. If you want traditional japanese stuff go to Kyoto. Also Okinawa is going to be the most beautiful place in Japan. I sugguest 5 days in Kyoto and going to Okinawa as long as you want to be in a tropical paradise. Best of luck to ya. www.japan-guide.com (http://www.japan-guide.com) =best japan info there is.

RunDownHouse
08-06-2005, 07:59 AM
I would definitely suggest Munich (since you seem to skip Germany in favor of France; Paris, while ok because of the historical/beauty thing, is horribly, horribly expensive and not much fun) and Budapest. When I lived in Regensburg, Germany, I was about a 4 hour ride from Prague. I went at least once a month, probably more, and absolutely loved that city. It was easily my favorite in Europe.

Until I went to Budapest.

In general, I liked Eastern Europe much more than Western.

FatTony21
08-06-2005, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would definitely suggest Munich (since you seem to skip Germany in favor of France; Paris, while ok because of the historical/beauty thing, is horribly, horribly expensive and not much fun) and Budapest. When I lived in Regensburg, Germany, I was about a 4 hour ride from Prague. I went at least once a month, probably more, and absolutely loved that city. It was easily my favorite in Europe.

Until I went to Budapest.

In general, I liked Eastern Europe much more than Western.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another thumb up for Budapest. I'm living there now, and it's amazing. Beautiful city, great nightlife, and amazingly beautful women. Living in Budapest is like living in a beer commercial.

KaneKungFu123
08-06-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If youre single you'll particularly love Australia.

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

Cubswin
08-06-2005, 11:20 AM
The idea is basically to pay for the trip while I'm on it, or at least offset the majority of the expense.

As someone who has traveled quite a bit, i think this is a very bad idea. Do your work first and then go out to play... dont try to do them at the same time. The whole point of traveling is to leave everything behind, and for me at leat, that includes poker.

cubs

Cubswin
08-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Living in Budapest is like living in a beer commercial.

Quote of the day

chunk
08-06-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong, extend athens and spend a few weeks in the islands.

2ndGoat
08-06-2005, 06:01 PM
<<Also realize that round-the-world packages require you to keep on moving in a specific direction. For example, you cannot do Vegas->Sydney->Christchurch in that order. >>

Slight reversals are allowed. In the trip planner I utilized, (star alliance), going from sydney to christchurch on a westbound overall trip was allowed.

<<In general, I liked Eastern Europe much more than Western.
>>

<<Another thumb up for Budapest. I'm living there now, and it's amazing. Beautiful city, great nightlife, and amazingly beautful women. Living in Budapest is like living in a beer commercial.>>

I gotta say I'm just slightly intimidated by Eastern Europe in general. Don't know why for sure. Guess I expect to go there and see berlin wall-era east germany. But I suppose I ought not skip through. I certainly don't figure to be passing by again any other forseeable time.

<<wrong, extend athens and spend a few weeks in the islands.
>>

Now you all have just got me confused.

2nd

08-06-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong, extend athens and spend a few weeks in the islands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fully agree. Visit Athens http://www.athens-today.com/e-benvenuto.htm and then visit the islands http://greektravel.com/greekislands/greek-island-links.htm

If you come to Athens give me a call /images/graemlins/smile.gif