PDA

View Full Version : Poker Friendly Wireless places?

pipster
08-05-2005, 01:55 PM
After a failed attempt at lunch to play at Panera and have all the poker sites I went to blocked by their firewall (was trying to download the software to play on my new laptop).... I suspect the firewall will block poker as well as their sites.

I assume many of you laptop people play poker out and about all the time... where do you play? Have you run into firewalls alot? Any suggestions on poker friendly hangouts to play in the Atlanta area? Or ones which are friendly around you and would also be around here (Barnes and Noble?)

Uglyowl
08-05-2005, 02:55 PM
I played at the airports at both Las Vegas and Long Beach without any problem.

TAR
08-05-2005, 02:59 PM
I played at Paradise from Panera yesterday. I did have firewall problems with 2 + 2 and several other forums I read. The firewall blocked the forums but not the poker site, yet anyway. Last week the forums weren't blocked either so Panera may not be a viable place to play for long.

pipster
08-07-2005, 07:57 PM
Thanks... It is one of my favorite places to eat. Good food, hot chicks, and close to work.

shadow29
08-07-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any suggestions on poker friendly hangouts to play in the Atlanta area?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not Gwinnett county...

B&N is good. I haven't had problems with the Sandy Springs Panera on Roswell. Dunno, haven't tried to play out much.

smb394
08-07-2005, 08:30 PM
I'm able to play on Party from my local Panera. I've also run into random coffee shops that have free wireless. There was a thread a month or so ago about Barnes and Noble. Can't remember the conclusions of the thread though. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

pipster
08-08-2005, 01:42 PM
What do you mean not Gwinett county? I just got back from a lunch session at Panera in Norcross which I believe is gwinett (but it might be fulton). Did you get some lip in Gwinett? Or was it just firewalled out?

hardinda
08-08-2005, 01:46 PM
Mellow Mushroom? I've never tried, but I know they are wireless.

smb394
08-08-2005, 04:40 PM
Had a lunchtime session today at Panera. WHen I fire up Party/Eurobet, it says it's a blocked website (the client software that is). However, it still works without me having to do anything. Somewhat strange.

shadow29
08-08-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you mean not Gwinett county? I just got back from a lunch session at Panera in Norcross which I believe is gwinett (but it might be fulton). Did you get some lip in Gwinett? Or was it just firewalled out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. I meant don't play live in Gwinnett. The cops busted up some live games and held some people for quite some time up there without being charged. And of course you must know about the DA up there.

Norcross is Gwinnett, btw. Like Pleasant Hill? I don't know where Panera is; I haven't been up there in some time.

MicroBob
08-09-2005, 06:48 AM
I play at a couple of wireless places in Memphis...and have also done this on a couple of trips (including wireless places in New Orleans).

I haven't been to the most wireless places in the world but I have never run into a firewall problem.

Also - I'm very seriously considering one of those groovy cell-phone wireless-internet connector things that was discussed in a thread not too long ago. Don't have to worry about playing at a specific hot-spot (and whether thehy might have some Panera-type firewall).

Also - I know my new laptop has the Centrino wireless capability...but i'm not even sure exactly what that is. Will probably look into it (if it's some sort of satellite wireless-almost-anywhere type of thing then I'm DEFINITE interested assuming the rate isn't too ridiculous).

pipster
08-09-2005, 08:58 AM
Ahhh gotcha... we play live games in Gwinett all the time but they are small friend of a friend games. None of these "card room" stuff.

btw, Mellow Mushroom is on the list now! Gonna try it tonight.

gila
08-09-2005, 09:59 AM
Bob, Centrino is no different than any other wireless set-up, just more streamlined, i.e., the parts fit together better. You will still need a hot spot, or pay megabucks.

dontcrack
08-10-2005, 12:11 AM
I play Party at Panera often.

You cannot get to gambling websites but if the Party, Stars, etc. software is already on your PC then you are good.

smb394
08-10-2005, 12:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I play Party at Panera often.

You cannot get to gambling websites but if the Party, Stars, etc. software is already on your PC then you are good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know if Party software routes directly to the IP rather than using DNS? I believe this could be why.

popeye18
08-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Forgive me as im computer illiterate but is doing this completely safe? Can someone get info from your computer when you log onto someone elses wireless network? Thanks.

dontcrack
08-11-2005, 08:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Forgive me as im computer illiterate but is doing this completely safe? Can someone get info from your computer when you log onto someone elses wireless network? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not think it is completely safe but neither is driving 85 MPH or crossing the street.

I run as firewall so I hope that protects me. My biggest fear is not Panera (they advertise free wifi) it is other patrons using the wifi to hack my lappy.

absou1ut
08-11-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not think it is completely safe but neither is driving 85 MPH or crossing the street.

I run as firewall so I hope that protects me. My biggest fear is not Panera (they advertise free wifi) it is other patrons using the wifi to hack my lappy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your main concern would be the data that is being transmitted to and from your laptop. That is where they will capture the passwords, etc that you send to sites while you are on the network.

wdbaker
08-11-2005, 04:51 PM
If you're making any money, get a verizon aircard(nic card etc...) plug it into your laptop and you are playing anywhere that you can make a phone call at speeds generally 80k up and dwn, plenty for six to eight tables, or if your in a city that has been activated with EVDO, 500k bursting to 2.5megs on the same card for the same price.

The cards were about $50 with a rebate and then $80 per month all you can eat /images/graemlins/smile.gif, I play when and where I want, screw them hotspots and their filters /images/graemlins/grin.gif

One Street at a Time
wdbaker Denver, Co

smb394
08-11-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The cards were about $50 with a rebate and then $80 per month all you can eat /images/graemlins/smile.gif, I play when and where I want, screw them hotspots and their filters /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, are you saying that hotspots (namely Tmobile's) have filters blocking online poker? I'm considering signing up for the Hotspot Year pass, and this would surely be a deal breaker. Much appreciated if anyone knows.

YoureToast
08-11-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, are you saying that hotspots (namely Tmobile's) have filters blocking online poker? I'm considering signing up for the Hotspot Year pass, and this would surely be a deal breaker. Much appreciated if anyone knows.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play frequently on TMobile hotspots in Starbucks and Borders. I highly recommend it. The Verizon thing seems appealing but its 2.5 times the monthly cost of TMobile.

Hornacek
08-11-2005, 05:18 PM
yeah, they won't let me play at work. /images/graemlins/mad.gif