PDA

View Full Version : A concern: the continuation bet at 100NL

guaranteedBluff
08-05-2005, 01:39 PM
I have recently moved up to 6-max 100NL at party, and I am doing fairly well, although I am not completely comfortable. Keep in mind that my numbers are 25/10/2.5 One main thing with which I'm struggling is this:

in position raising pf with AK-A10, KQs, 99-JJ, then missing the flop. I normally continue the betting for full pot (at 50NL), and folds ensue unless someone has a real good hand. However, at 100 NL I find I often get callers for $8, $10, etc when they end up having a poor hand... Then when checked to on the turn (which I miss), I have a decision to make. I understand that every situation is read dependent, but is there someway to overhaul this system of continuation betting and hence allow for more certainty?

1) raise less pf (my standard is $4) so that the continuation is less?

2) continue with less (3/4 pot)?

3) continue with more (1.25 - 1.5 pot)?

Any other suggestions are welcome as well.

Thanks in advance.

TheWorstPlayer
08-05-2005, 01:59 PM
Making smaller raises is fine except people are still very loose at the NL100 so I like to keep my raises at a nice level to take advantage of that fact. Betting less than full pot is fine on the flop. If it is drawless, you can make your continuation bets 2/3 without giving anything up, IMO. Also, if it is multi-way against loose opponents there is nothing wrong with just checking and looking at the turn. I can't tell you how many times a hand has gone limp, limp, raise, limpers call. Flop I miss. Check, check, check. Turn I miss. Check, check, bet, fold, fold. Or even just checking the whole thing down. At NL100, people are still just very passive and loose. You just don't have to force it.

UOPokerPlayer
08-05-2005, 02:03 PM
You should be raising more pf hands, a lot more. If they're coming at your continuation bets, stop doing them as much. I've found in those games, you have to show down some good hands, before they start laying down to your flop bets, pot sized or not.

UOPokerPlayer
08-05-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At NL100, people are still just very passive and loose. You just don't have to force it.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a wise one.

flopking
08-05-2005, 02:14 PM
the whole purpose of raising is to get equity and/or isolate/thin... since low limit poker is so loose, tighten your starting hand requirement for a pfr in position.

at loose games, only pfr with AA thru TT, AK, AQ.. otherwise limp with KQ, KJ AJ, etc and all pairs down.

TheWorstPlayer
08-05-2005, 02:15 PM
Whoa, why would you want to do that?

flopking
08-05-2005, 02:22 PM
six-handed means lots of hands qualify for a pfr in position, but if he keeps getting action after a missed flop/standard continuation bet then you need to adapt to these player's tendencies. wait to hit the flop before betting...

UOPokerPlayer
08-05-2005, 02:27 PM
OP wants to put his money when he's ahead; and tightening up in loose games isn't the best way to do that. He should play more hands, and see more flops, because when he hits the flops he's gonna get paid. When you say "wait to hit the flop before betting" I think you're right, especially in the games it sounds like he's playing.

TheWorstPlayer
08-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Most of these players are actually weak and fold to continuation bets, so you want to raise a lot of hands. And the few who aren't weak at any particular table are loose so you should be raising hands like KJ for value.

guaranteedBluff
08-05-2005, 03:27 PM
When OOP, how important are continuation bets with the likes of a missed AK or AQ, etc... Or is this the time to check/call, check/fold depending on the amount?

TheWorstPlayer
08-05-2005, 03:29 PM
It really really depends on your image, the looseness of the opponents, the number of opponents, and the texture of the flop. Sorry.

kurto
08-05-2005, 05:15 PM
regarding the continuation bet.... I often find that if you check sometimes (even if you have something) then you are given more credit when you do make a continuation bet.

This includes sometimes checking when you have something. (so that a check doesn't always mean you missed).

If they see you check once in a while, they'll give you more credit when you do make one. Allowing you to bluff sometimes too.

in other words... mix it up.

Second: if people always call when they have any piece of it, you should be making a lot of money out of them when you do hit.

DrPublo
08-05-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
at loose games, only pfr with AA thru TT, AK, AQ.. otherwise limp with KQ, KJ AJ, etc and all pairs down.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is horrible advice that guarantees a future of mediocrity and nut-peddling at best, IMO.

The Doc

NYCNative
08-05-2005, 05:42 PM
I take down a ton of my continuation bets, so much so that I'll sometimes make the standard raise in LP and make the CB without regard to my holdings or the flop.

If I get smoothcalled, I will see the turn usually for free and can usually make a blocking/value bet on the river or get out of the hand completely. If I get raised on my CB, I can call it if I have overs or a draw or I can fold or I can even reraise if I have a read that villain is making a play.

Mind you that I don't do this in multiway pots. If I miss in a multiway, unless I picked up a nice draw, I usually check-fold or check-call. But I'll do it with three rags flopping no matter how many people called my raise.

Sure, sometimes villain hit on the flop and he will play back at you. But the amount of times I had to fold to a CR or bail out on the turn after making a CB that got called or raised is way smaller than the amount of times I took the pot down right there, both in terms of times happened and cash differential.

I do throw in the occassional CR here when I feel villain will bet and I feel my hand is strong enough (a set or TPTK with AK on a board with two rags and my pair) but that's rare ands read-dependent. Usually I want to be the aggressor and make villain fearful of my Aces/set/whatevah.

fimbulwinter
08-05-2005, 05:46 PM
"they're calling me too much with bad hands"

Raise fewer hands preflop and value bet more

"they never give me action on my good hands"

Raise more hands preflop and CB bluff more

fim