PDA

View Full Version : Play from the blinds..

SPhilly
08-05-2005, 01:38 PM
I am working on my blind play and have improved somewhat just by not completing in the small blind with any trash. However one situation has given me some trouble.
What do you do when there are 5+ limpers and you have AQ/AJ s or u in either blind? This occured several times last night and was just wondering how everyone handles these situations.

kevkev60614
08-05-2005, 02:33 PM
I put in a big raise, about 5BB, more if online. You probably have the best hand at the table and this may knock out 87o, which'll help when A87 flops or A56.

SPhilly
08-05-2005, 03:27 PM
I agree that is often the best play. What I noticed though is that when there are that many limpers a few almost always seem to call a big raise after limping (which I know is good for me long term) but then it is hard to feel confident even with top pain when 3+ people called a raise.
I don't know, maybe missing the flop/getting raised on the flop a few times lately has me nervous of getting into a weak/tight mode.

kongo_totte
08-05-2005, 03:37 PM
My standard line is to complete/check and make sure you don't go crazy w/ TPGK post-flop.

ajmargarine
08-05-2005, 03:41 PM
I would limp right along in the situations you described with AJ/AQ. And I do that with AK also now. If I miss the flop, oh well, I'm done with the hand. If I hit top pair, I will often play cautiously and just c/c the flop and evaluate what to do from there. Your hand is very well disguised. Villians are hardpressed to put you on a hand, whereas their hands are often transparent to you.

gulebjorn
08-05-2005, 03:41 PM
I complete. If I raise, I'm pretty sure I'm getting called by one of those limpers. The raise would also have to be pretty big if you want to narrow the field, or you'll just end up playing a bloated family pot. So if I raise, I would have to play a pretty big raised pot out of position against a player who could be holding pretty much anything. I don't like the trouble that causes me.

Anyway, if I hit top pair, I'm leading out and proceeding very weakly if I get raised. If I hit two pair or better, I might try to get in a checkraise if the board isn't too draw heavy.

kevkev60614
08-05-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
even with top pain

[/ QUOTE ]

That's awesome. I'm calling it top pain from now on. Don't even try to stop me.

I understand better than you can possibly know what you're saying about becoming weak/tight. Bad beats can do that. But you know the best move here is to raise. If raising 5BBs gets 3 callers, and you want less then try 10BBs. They're not calling because they've got money hands, they're calling because they're fish. You will get outflopped sometimes, so try to realize when you're beat but stay TAG otherwise.

I hope this helps. Actually, I hope I didn't just give you the worst advice in the history of mankind. Half the time I think this is a fantasy football forum. So if someone else would post and agree/disagree...

kongo_totte
08-05-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
even with top pain

[/ QUOTE ]

That's awesome. I'm calling it top pain from now on. Don't even try to stop me.

I understand better than you can possibly know what you're saying about becoming weak/tight. Bad beats can do that. But you know the best move here is to raise. If raising 5BBs gets 3 callers, and you want less then try 10BBs. They're not calling because they've got money hands, they're calling because they're fish. You will get outflopped sometimes, so try to realize when you're beat but stay TAG otherwise.

I hope this helps. Actually, I hope I didn't just give you the worst advice in the history of mankind. Half the time I think this is a fantasy football forum. So if someone else would post and agree/disagree...

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. First AQ and especially AJ can be outkicked if you hit, since alot of people limp AK/AQ in EP. 2nd, you'll only hit 1/3 of the time. Do you check/fold when you miss? To get people out you'll have to raise big pre-flop, the pot will be big, infact so big a continueation bet will often be commiting.

Mainly, I just don't dig playing a large multiway pot OOP w/ a marginal holding.