PDA

View Full Version : Going to D.C. next week

Bluffoon
08-05-2005, 12:00 PM
I am taking my son (he's nine) to Washington D.C. for a few days. Anybody have any good sightseeing ideas?

We are going to see all the monuments and the Vietnam Vets memorial and do some of the Smithsonian museums etc.

One thing that was suggested was to take him to Arlington National Cemetary. I was wondering what is the best way to get there from the mall? Can you take the metro?

Thanks for any tips and ideas.

Jim

Homer
08-05-2005, 12:03 PM
One thing that was suggested was to take him to Arlington National Cemetary. I was wondering what is the best way to get there from the mall? Can you take the metro?

Apparently (http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm)

jakethebake
08-05-2005, 12:04 PM
http://www.thisnation.com/media/photos/iwojimamemorial.jpg

bobman0330
08-05-2005, 12:06 PM
If you have the time, consider heading out the the Udvar-Hazy Center in Dulles. It displays a lot of the Air & Space Museum's collection that they don't have space for in the Mall museum, including the test prototype of the space shuttle, an SR-71, and the Enola Gay. Great displays of WWII and Vietnam era military planes, and a ton of civil aviation. It's a great museum. A shuttle bus leaves every hour or so from the Mall. (Eat before you leave, when I was there they only had a crappy cold Subway sub place)

wh1t3bread
08-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Yes, Arlington Cemetary is on the Blue Line.

The new Udvar-Hazy Center (part of the National Air and Space Museum) out near Dulles Airport is pretty cool. If you son likes planes and space shuttles this would be a good idea.

beta1607
08-05-2005, 12:10 PM
The capitol tour is awesome, also you can go to the top of the Washington Monument now which supposidly has a sick view of the whole mall area, but you need reservations for that. Arlington national is probably a 20ish minute metro ride from smithsonian station - make sure you get on the blue line and not the orange.

Bluffoon
08-05-2005, 12:11 PM
That's nice Jake. What is it?

turnipmonster
08-05-2005, 12:21 PM
dude take him to the spy museum, it's fun and he'll love it.

jakethebake
08-05-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Iwo Jima Flag Raising Memorial at Arlington.

Bluffoon
08-05-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Iwo Jima Flag Raising Memorial at Arlington.

[/ QUOTE ]

Arlington thanks! Arlington is a must see then.

webmonarch
08-05-2005, 12:38 PM
The best tip I can provide is to take the Metro everywhere. 90% of the monuments and stuff of interest to visitors is on the Blue line. Spy museum is not free, but it is pretty good for kids.

Bluffoon
08-05-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you have the time, consider heading out the the Udvar-Hazy Center in Dulles. It displays a lot of the Air & Space Museum's collection that they don't have space for in the Mall museum, including the test prototype of the space shuttle, an SR-71, and the Enola Gay. Great displays of WWII and Vietnam era military planes, and a ton of civil aviation. It's a great museum. A shuttle bus leaves every hour or so from the Mall. (Eat before you leave, when I was there they only had a crappy cold Subway sub place)

[/ QUOTE ]

I am driving in so this should be easy. I wasn't planning on hitting this but it's on the list thanks!

Bluffoon
08-05-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I saw that. I thought it could go either way. Thanks for the tip. It's on the list!

08-05-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The best tip I can provide is to take the Metro everywhere. 90% of the monuments and stuff of interest to visitors is on the Blue line. Spy museum is not free, but it is pretty good for kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

you can find the iwo jima memorial near the rosslyn metro stop (blue or orange lines) but that's not really "near" anything else you will probably be seeing in a walking sense. still, if you have some times and want to check it out, it's pretty cool.

also, the vietnam memorial is pretty cool, that's in the city.

Bluffoon
08-05-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I work in NYC so I am comfortable with subways. I picked a hotel near a stop not too far from the mall. Blue line check.... Thanks!

Bluffoon
08-05-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you can find the iwo jima memorial near the rosslyn metro stop (blue or orange lines) but that's not really "near" anything else you will probably be seeing in a walking sense. still, if you have some times and want to check it out, it's pretty cool.

also, the vietnam memorial is pretty cool, that's in the city.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhoh I am confused. Jake says the Iwo Jima is at arlington cemetary. Well it's an awesome monument I'll find it.

Actually the vietnam memorial is the reason we are taking the trip. My son got very interested in the vietnam war and asked to see it.

jakethebake
08-05-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually the vietnam memorial is the reason we are taking the trip. My son got very interested in the vietnam war and asked to see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Skip the trip and rent Full Metal Jacket instead. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

wh1t3bread
08-05-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Uhoh I am confused. Jake says the Iwo Jima is at arlington cemetary. Well it's an awesome monument I'll find it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The memorial is near the cemetary not in it. It probably isn't walking distance to any Metro stop. Rosslyn would be the closest probably but I think it would be a hike.

jakethebake
08-05-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The memorial is near the cemetary not in it. It probably isn't walking distance to any Metro stop. Rosslyn would be the closest probably but I think it would be a hike.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. Sorry, it's been quite awhile. It's near the cemetary not in it.

smokingrobot
08-05-2005, 01:05 PM
you want to take the blue or the yellow line. i think they have an arlington stop. if you're at the mall you may need to transfer, i dont have the map memorized though.

im thinking it might just be the blue line though.

aside from the war monuments, there's the water basin by the TJ monument (i think thats the one), that place is pretty cool.

Also, the korean war memorial is pretty close to the water basin where all the cherry trees are. actualy, the FDR memorial is right next to it as well.

there are all the museums too. (the spy museum, your 9 yr old might like that)

Bluffoon
08-05-2005, 01:05 PM
He read a book written by a soldier about his experiences in vietnam and we rented the movie We Were Soldiers about the battle in the Ia Drang valley in I think 1965. I bought the book the movie was based on and we have discussed a lot of vietnam era history. I even took him to a vietnamese restaurant. I am not that thrilled about his fascination with guns and war and violence but I am trying to use his interest as a learning experience. Hey he asked to go to D.C. on vacation instead of disney. I won't complain.

08-05-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, the korean war memorial is pretty close to the water basin where all the cherry trees are. actualy, the FDR memorial is right next to it as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Korean memorial is next to the Lincoln memorial and quite a ways from the basin. You'll see that when you go to see the vietnam memorial.

Don't skip FDR as it is often overlooked and worth a visit. I proposed to my wife there.

08-05-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"The cost of the statue was $850,000 (1954 Dollars.)"
-
"Gagnon was an airlines clerk, Bradley was an entrepreneur and Hayes lived in a $50 hut on the Gila Indian Reservation."
-
"Within 10 weeks Ira Hayes would be found frozen, face down in an irrigation ditch. He died of exposure and alcohol at the age of 33, almost 10 years to the day he helped raise the flag on Iwo Jima."

[/ QUOTE ]

Iwo Jima (http://www.iwojima.com/statue/index.htm)

Bluffoon
08-05-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you want to take the blue or the yellow line. i think they have an arlington stop. if you're at the mall you may need to transfer, i dont have the map memorized though.

im thinking it might just be the blue line though.

aside from the war monuments, there's the water basin by the TJ monument (i think thats the one), that place is pretty cool.

there are all the museums too. (the spy museum, your 9 yr old might like that)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell I am going to the spy museum for me. If he likes it too then great /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peca277
08-05-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Korean memorial is next to the Lincoln memorial and quite a ways from the basin. You'll see that when you go to see the vietnam memorial.

Don't skip FDR as it is often overlooked and worth a visit. I proposed to my wife there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say the Korean War Memorial is that far from the Tidal Basin. I second the need to check out FDR btw. It's on the way to the Jefferson if you walk from Lincoln/Korean.

Been here for 2 years and last night and I just saw the Iwo Jima memorial for the first time during a cab ride home. Looked really cool and I'm planning on heading back there sometime soon to really take a look.

Also, if it's possible, try to see the monuments once during the day, but then again at night. It's really amazing seeing them lit up against a dark sky. Even if you just have time to drive around a bit after dark, it's worth it. Seeing the Capitol at night still impresses me every time.

08-05-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say the Korean War Memorial is that far from the Tidal Basin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you're right. It is probably only a mile or so to the basin. However, it's probably twice that to the Jefferson memorial which is where you should be heading if going to the basin. OP says he has a car though so this should be a non-issue.

gumpzilla
08-05-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Hell I am going to the spy museum for me. If he likes it too then great /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he'll probably like it, it's a pretty cool place. I'm not sure how the lines are anymore - I went not too long after it opened and they were formidable - but it might take a little longer than some other museums.

bobman0330
08-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Link (http://www.stationmasters.com)

That's a link to a good map of the Metro system and the areas around all the Metro stops.

Wyrm2
08-05-2005, 02:27 PM
Another good place for a view is the Kennedy Center. You don't need to have tickets to shows or anything to go and you get a nice view of the waterfront. Also, if your son is old enough and a lover of ethnic foods then Adams Morgan is great for dinner.

I'd also second the idea of seeing the monuments at night (especially Lincoln and Jefferson) the white marble is beautiful in the light.

The Holocaust museum is incredible, but probably a little bit much for kids.

shakingspear
08-05-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a must.

gilper
08-05-2005, 03:30 PM
National Building Museum (http://www.nbm.org/) isn't far from the Spy Museum
National Gallery of Art (http://www.nga.gov/) is on the mall with the rest of them.
The Kennedy Center (http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/millennium/schedule.html) has free performances every day at 6:00

slamdunkpro
08-05-2005, 05:24 PM
OK First, I think Arlington Cemetery will bore a 9year old to tears. The spectacle of the tomb of the Unknown Soldier is great but it might be lost on a 9year old. It’s a big graveyard with thousands of identical tombstones. Second, Arlington Cemetery is a long walk from the Arlington Cemetery metro stop and it’s uphill.

Be aware that we are currently in the middle of a heat wave with temperatures in the high 90’s and low 100’s with high humidity.

The Iwo Jima memorial is again at least a 2 mile walk from the Rosslyn metro stop. What ever you do don’t walk there at night. It’s almost 4 miles from Arlington National Cemetery, and there is no parking nearby. There is no way to walk to the IJM from Arlington National Cemetary.

The spy museum is very good, both of you will enjoy that. Take him to the Air and space museum on the mall, and the Museum of history and technology. Do the Natural history museum if you have time. Be aware that the Smithsonian Station metro station on the mall is about a 20-minute walk to the actual Smithsonian Museums (Natural History and History and Technology)

The Udvar-Hazy Center is an interesting place, but from a 9-year old perspective it might be a bit boring as it’s all static displays. My neighbor’s 11 year old boy was much more interested in the interactive exhibits on the mall. You really need a car to go out there, the bus takes forever.

The Washington Monument is great but there might be a long wait. A good alternative that a lot of people don’t know about is the Old Post office tower on Pennsylvania Ave (Federal Triangle Metro stop) There is no glass in the windows here so you actually get better pictures than out of the Washington Monument.

If you want to PM me and tell me what hotel you all are going to be at I’ll give you some restaurant suggestions.

slamdunkpro
08-05-2005, 09:02 PM
How could I forget this - National Zoo

hoyaboy1
08-05-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Be aware that the Smithsonian Station metro station on the mall is about a 20-minute walk to the actual Smithsonian Museums (Natural History and History and Technology)

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be the world's slowest walker. And by History and Technology, do you mean American History?

ElSapo
08-05-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Iwo Jima memorial is again at least a 2 mile walk from the Rosslyn metro stop. What ever you do don’t walk there at night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious - don't walk around the Rosslyn metro at night? That's got to be one of the safest places in and around D.C./Virginia. There's plenty of places I'd say to avoid at night, or in the day, but Rosslyn - government contractors and a State Dept. prep area - is not on that list.

Bluffoon
08-05-2005, 09:35 PM
That all sounds like great advice. I will pm you later for some dining suggestions Thanks!

BigBaitsim (milo)
08-05-2005, 09:44 PM
If you go to the Smithsonian Museum of History and Technology, look for a row of computers, dating from the earliest through more modern machines. If you see a 80286 machine sitting there with an 80286 chip sitting on top of the case, please pick up the chip and send it to me. I had it in my pocket (don't ask why) about 8 years ago, and thought it would be pretty cool to reach around the plexiglass protector thingy and put it on top of the case.

Now I want it back.

Thanks in advance...

Bluffoon
08-05-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you go to the Smithsonian Museum of History and Technology, look for a row of computers, dating from the earliest through more modern machines. If you see a 80286 machine sitting there with an 80286 chip sitting on top of the case, please pick up the chip and send it to me. I had it in my pocket (don't ask why) about 8 years ago, and thought it would be pretty cool to reach around the plexiglass protector thingy and put it on top of the case.

Now I want it back.

Thanks in advance...

[/ QUOTE ]

No Problem. I'll print out a copy of this post to bring with me so I don't get in any trouble if I get caught. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BigBaitsim (milo)
08-05-2005, 09:50 PM
Grew up near DC, so I thought I'd post a serious answer to your question (although the chip story is true).

The Vietnam Vets Memorial is not to be missed.

Of all the museums, Air and Space is the best, although all the Smithsonian museums are fantastic.

Be prepared to walk. A lot.

Take in a show at the Kennedy Center if you can.

The most powerful experience is the Holocaust Museum. You need a ticket (free) because they set groups off in 15 minute intervals. From the outset, the entire experience is immersive and intense. Not for the faint of heart, but really the one of the best experiences in DC.

slamdunkpro
08-06-2005, 12:12 AM
No, Don't walk around the Iwo Jima memorial at night.

Cubswin
08-06-2005, 12:28 AM
Drinks at Hotel Washington (http://www.hotelwashington.com/) are a must after a long day of walking the mall. Do not miss the Air and Space... i have been there at least a dozen times... always a blast. Also the boat ride from G-town to alexandria is a fun little break if you want to give your feet a rest....

Cubswin
08-06-2005, 12:31 AM
No, Don't walk around the Iwo Jima memorial at night.

ok... im clueless as well.... what is so bad about the area around iwo jima.??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

slamdunkpro
08-06-2005, 11:52 AM
The Iwo Jima memorial area is very isolated. It has become a cruising ground for male gays at night as well as a haven for drug sales. It’s kind of like walking around Central Park late at night

Cubswin
08-06-2005, 11:59 AM
Are you sure your not thinking of Du Pont circle? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Honestly, ive never heard this about the iwo jima memorial. Ive been there at night too... didnt notice anything unusual...

slamdunkpro
08-06-2005, 12:11 PM
A couple of other thoughts…..

Take a DUWK ride – These are the amphibious WWII trucks built by GM. There is a tour service that runs these in DC. They’re great fun and a neat way to see the city from both the water and the land

www.dcducks.com

Depending on how many days you are here take a day trip to Baltimore. Metro to Union Station then take the MARC train to Camden Yards in Baltimore. Walt 3 blocks to the Inner Harbor and you have access to some great places to take your Sun. The National Aquarium, The Science Museum with IMAX, and others.

One thing about going to the National Zoo. Drive! Go up Rock Creek Parkway and take the National Zoo Exit. Park in the “D” lot. The Zoo is built on a rather step hill. This way you are parking at the bottom. Park and just hike up to the to of the Zoo by Connecticut Avenue then work your way down. Don’t miss the Reptile house and the invertebrate house (located behind the reptile house next to the Komodo dragons). Amazonia is another don’t miss. The Panda house is currently closed because of the baby but the cheetah cubs are out. Anyway, this way after a long day you end up at your car instead of having to hike back up the hill to Connecticut Avenue for the metro. (If you do Metro, don’t get off at the Woodlypark/Zoo stop. Go one more to Tenley Circle. It’s a 5 block walk uphill from Woodlypark/Zoo and a 3 block walk on level ground from Tenley Circle.

slamdunkpro
08-06-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You must be the world's slowest walker

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually more like the world’s worst typist – Should have been 10 minute

[ QUOTE ]
And by History and Technology, do you mean American History?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I still call it by the old name.

slamdunkpro
08-06-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you sure your not thinking of Du Pont circle?

[/ QUOTE ]

Another joyous spot in our fair city.

Every now and then the Park Police crack down on the Iwo site and clean it out but I still would not walk around there at night with a 9 year old boy.

Rushmore
08-06-2005, 12:21 PM
I haven't read any of the other responses, so please excuse me if any of this is redundant.

I lived in DC for 15 years, so...

Once you are at the Mall, everything is extremely accessible, either walking or by Metro.

You MUST go to the National Archives and the Library of Congress. Must, as in HAVE to.

Be aware of the fact that if you should choose to walk anywhere, DC is the sort of town where one wrong turn, and you're in ghetto HELL, especially up around Union Station. Make sure you know where you are going, don't just wing it.

Enjoy our nation's rich history.

God knows we ain't making any more.

Bluffoon
08-06-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Iwo Jima memorial area is very isolated. It has become a cruising ground for male gays at night as well as a haven for drug sales. It’s kind of like walking around Central Park late at night

[/ QUOTE ]

I work in New York so I should be very comfortable there.

Bluffoon
08-06-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A couple of other thoughts…..

Take a DUWK ride – These are the amphibious WWII trucks built by GM. There is a tour service that runs these in DC. They’re great fun and a neat way to see the city from both the water and the land

<a href="www.dcducks.com" target="_blank">www.dcducks.com</a>

Depending on how many days you are here take a day trip to Baltimore. Metro to Union Station then take the MARC train to Camden Yards in Baltimore. Walt 3 blocks to the Inner Harbor and you have access to some great places to take your Sun. The National Aquarium, The Science Museum with IMAX, and others.

One thing about going to the National Zoo. Drive! Go up Rock Creek Parkway and take the National Zoo Exit. Park in the “D” lot. The Zoo is built on a rather step hill. This way you are parking at the bottom. Park and just hike up to the to of the Zoo by Connecticut Avenue then work your way down. Don’t miss the Reptile house and the invertebrate house (located behind the reptile house next to the Komodo dragons). Amazonia is another don’t miss. The Panda house is currently closed because of the baby but the cheetah cubs are out. Anyway, this way after a long day you end up at your car instead of having to hike back up the hill to Connecticut Avenue for the metro. (If you do Metro, don’t get off at the Woodlypark/Zoo stop. Go one more to Tenley Circle. It’s a 5 block walk uphill from Woodlypark/Zoo and a 3 block walk on level ground from Tenley Circle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool Ideas. We have been to the inner harbor that's a great place to spend a day with your kids. You guys are coming up with so many great things to do I may have to stay another day. Thanks guys.

gumpzilla
08-06-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(If you do Metro, don’t get off at the Woodlypark/Zoo stop. Go one more to Tenley Circle.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're thinking of Cleveland Park; Tenleytown is three stops after Woodley Park. Whichever one you choose (of Woodley Park or Cleveland Park, Tenleytown is pretty far away) the walk isn't so bad.

slamdunkpro
08-06-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You MUST go to the National Archives and the Library of Congress. Must, as in HAVE to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your son can't go to the Library of Congress.

Rushmore
08-06-2005, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your son can't go to the Library of Congress.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. The Archives are a must, though.

slamdunkpro
08-06-2005, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Archives are a must, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

For a 9 year old?

In any event I haven't been there since they redid the visitor's gallery....hmmm maybe a long lunch on Monday.

soweak.
08-06-2005, 11:22 PM
go to a Nats' game, tickets are easy to come by and not as expensive as other ball parks on the east coast (*Cough* FENWAY *cough*)