PDA

View Full Version : Chip stealing

11-30-2001, 12:15 PM
Is this a problem in the big rooms?

In the 80's I spent a few winters in LA and this went on enough to be a topic of conversation between players and some started asking others to watch their chips when they left the table.

I witnessed a theft once. I was sitting in seat 4 and a large multiway pot was being played. The guy in seat 3 had left the table about 10 min. ago and had 300-350 in yellow. I watched a guy come walking down the aisle and when he was even with the table he scooped up the chips without slowing down. He even made eye contact with me. I got the attention of the player in seat 2 and asked if this was the original who just picked up his chips but he didn't see anything. By the time I got to the floorman a min or 2 later the guy was gone. The floor seemed more interested in getting me back to the game. The player did get his money refunded 30 min later.

11-30-2001, 01:40 PM
I've always made it a habit to make sure my chips are in even stacks before I leave the table and to count them. Paranoid? I don't know. I've been playing in the big L.A. cardbarns for years and I've never had a problem. But anywhere there's a lot of money/cash, I would think stealing would be a problem. When they asked Willie Sutton why he robbed banks, he said because that's where the money is.

11-30-2001, 06:43 PM
I don't think this is a huge problem. The cameras are a big deterrent. Would-be chip thiefs have much easier targets, namely crowded craps tables.

Certain cautions are probably in order. I never leave loose bills on the table, for example. I either tuck them under a couple stacks or tell the dealer I'm taking them with me.

11-30-2001, 07:07 PM
http://www.banking.com/aba/profile_0397.htm