PDA

View Full Version : 87Th PGA Championship

jnalpak
08-05-2005, 10:25 AM
Anyone heading to Baltusrol in NJ for the championship. I'll be there all day saturday.

anyone else?

also, this is my first PGA event. Has anyone been to one bf that has some good advice for the day?

JTrout
08-05-2005, 11:16 AM
Awesome place to got to first PGA event!

The usual stuff: comfortable shoes, hat, sunscreen, drink plenty of water.

trevorwc
08-05-2005, 12:09 PM
If you're short, buy one of those parascopes so you can see over the big crowds. Get to holes WELL before the group you want to see if it's a big name.

As a bit of a thread hi-jack, has anyone else been disappointed when going to their first PGA event? I went to the PGA Championship in 2002 at Hazeltine when Beem held off a charging Tiger. The first three days I just popped around and saw all the holes and golfers, and it was VERY hard to keep up with how people were doing as a whole. Then Sunday followed Tiger, and it was also hard to follow the leaderboard. Just, to me, much more enjoyable watching on TV, as you always know what's up.

mmbt0ne
08-05-2005, 12:48 PM
Eurotrash is going. Look for the only fan wearing one of Mickelson's lame Bearing Point visors.

RacersEdge
08-05-2005, 01:06 PM
The physical nature of golf makes it great for TV.

But being there is cool too, just to watch the players when they are not hitting a shot - seeing how they talk with their caddy, what kind of food they eat at the turn, etc.

I was at the Atlanta Classic a couple years ago. I'm at the 12th hole or so, and I'm get a hot dog and a beer at the concession stand. I decide to walk up to the 13th tee to watch a few groups tee off while I eat. The tee box was set way back and not many people were around it. As I'm walking to it, I notice someone out of the corner of my eye on the course walking to the tee by himself right beside me. I kind of thought it was a marshall. I'm busy eating, so I don't look over for a few seconds. Then I look up as we get to the tee box , and I see it is Tom Watson. He looks at what I'm eating and says "looks good". You can't get that on TV.

asb165
08-05-2005, 01:56 PM
1. Do not wear golf shoes.

2. Do not wear golf shoes.

3. Do not wear golf shoes.

Many people will.

jnalpak
08-05-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Many people will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats one thing i just dont understand about Golf events i watch on TV. There are always folks wearing FULL GOLF APPAREL and they arent playing..WTF!!!

Next time i watch a hockey game live ill make sure to bring my pads and helmet.

RacersEdge
08-05-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Many people will.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, a lot of golf shoes are designed to be pretty comfortable for walking.

wayabvpar
08-05-2005, 02:41 PM
Buy one of those lightweight collapsible chairs. I have a tricky back, and I was in agony from standing up for 8 straight hours the last time I went to a golf tournament.

Other tips-
Don't follow Tiger Woods.

Get there early, and stake out a good spot near one of the par 3 greens- that way, you get to see the entire hole played. You also get to see the whole field play through.

Bring plenty of cash for souvenirs and food/beverages.

Don't bother the players- they are at work. Be respectful, and don't be one of the 'You the man!' or 'Go in the hole!' douchebags.

asb165
08-05-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Many people will.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, a lot of golf shoes are designed to be pretty comfortable for walking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they are modeled after sneakers, which you can and should wear.

RacersEdge
08-05-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Other tips-
Don't follow Tiger Woods.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice, get about 2 holes in front of him and wait. A good spot to hang out would be the fairway of a par 5. You can see the tee shot, and see them go for the green in 2 possibly.

Eurotrash
08-06-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Eurotrash is going. Look for the only fan wearing one of Mickelson's lame Bearing Point visors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be going, and the Bearing Point visor is pimp

TobDog
08-07-2005, 05:06 PM
What everyone else said, dont folow Tiger(if yo do, get 3 holes ahead and wait up against the ropes, its still bad when you get squeezed from behind), wear tennis shoes, big brim hat, lots of sunscreen. If you are on a budget, eat before you go, food will be more expensive there(just like any other sporting event), they will tell you no cell phones allowed, you have to leave it in the car, just turn yours off and put in a non visible pocket, I left mine in the car last year at Torrey Pines, and it sucked, just turn it off, you will notice everyone else has them on the grounds once you get there. If you can VIP park(close to the site, not requiring a bus to get to/from parking(you wil often wait more than 1 hour to get back to your car when waiting for a bus).

Have fun(im jealous)(and I get into those things for free if Im there)

tobdog