PDA

View Full Version : An interesting preflop situation with QQ

Ghazban
08-05-2005, 09:02 AM
This hand happened over a month ago in a live 1/2 game. I was not hero but I think his situation is worth discussing.

Hero has QQ in the BB and covers the table. 3 people limp (stacks from $80-$200), then button ($210) makes it $20. Button is killing time in this game until the larger game he's waiting for gets started. He's a good player when he's on a game but splashes around a lot in situations such as this one. SB moves in for $120 without much deliberation. SB is tight but not a rock. He's quite aware of the different personalities at the table and certainly knows button doesn't need a premium hand to make this raise. SB lets himself get run over a little too much postflop by the more aggressive players in the game but is not afraid to make a move with a marginal hand or draw if he thinks its best.

Regarding the other limpers, a limp-reraise is not out of the question but their physical mannerisms imply a fold. Button is unreadable; he might play, he might not.

Ghazban
08-05-2005, 09:03 AM
Some follow up questions (non-poll)....

-- What range of hands do you put SB on?
-- What is your minimum requirement to play in this situation?

TheWorstPlayer
08-05-2005, 09:06 AM
He's probably on {AA-99,AK-AJ} or something like that. Maybe the pairs even extend down further. Maybe the aces end at AQ or AK. I would probably push AA-JJ/AK. Maybe not JJ. Depends how far down the pairs I think he would do it and whether AJ is in or out.

jacknine
08-05-2005, 08:18 PM
I was in a similar situation two weeks back or so, holding the QQ - difference that two other players folded to the allin and I was last to act.
Didnīt put him on aces or kings - play with this man frequently and would expect a smooth call or minraise with that. Anything less I was willing to take on. I call, he flips over AKo, and a K hits on the flop.

fimbulwinter
08-05-2005, 08:43 PM
call in a heartbeat

fim

Ghazban
08-05-2005, 09:12 PM
Not that it matters, but I was the SB in the hand in question (I bet people figured that out already) and I had JJ. I felt button was just screwing around and didn't really have a hand and I didn't want to put in 1/6 of my stack and play guessing games after the flop as to whether or not I was good, possibly against multiple players. BB took a very long time to come to his decision and eventually folded. It was a couple hours before I found out what he had and I was quite surprised he made the fold but, in thinking about it later, felt it was probably a good one. My range of pushing from the SB here is probably AA-JJ/AK (maybe TT, I think that would be a close decision).

imported_anacardo
08-05-2005, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
call in a heartbeat

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

No reraise?

stu-unger
08-05-2005, 09:50 PM
i think this is a situational decision as to if u play or not, but i dont see how call can be a good option to take here. i think its either a push or a fold in my opinion. if someone disagrees please explain.

gol4pro
08-05-2005, 11:09 PM
AK-JJ is probably your normal hand range here. I'm 4:1 to AA/KK, and 4:1 against JJ. I'm 11:8 against AK.

Doing some quick math in my head I'm getting 34 combos. Meaning just under 1/2 the time, I'll be about an 11:8 favorite. Then 1/6 I'll be about a 4:1 favorite, and 2/6, I'll be a 4:1 dog.

Without calculating EV and everything like that, I'm not really liking what I'm seeing here. And this assumes that Button doesn't have a hand. If button has KK/AA 5-10% of the time here, then it's an EASY muck.

As much as I hate to, I muck and feel good about it.

fimbulwinter
08-06-2005, 03:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
call in a heartbeat

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

No reraise?

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought sb covered. no?

fim

PS- i read bad. yeah, i mean put your chips in here.

fim

flopking
08-06-2005, 03:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not that it matters, but I was the SB in the hand in question (I bet people figured that out already) and I had JJ. I felt button was just screwing around and didn't really have a hand and I didn't want to put in 1/6 of my stack and play guessing games after the flop as to whether or not I was good, possibly against multiple players. BB took a very long time to come to his decision and eventually folded. It was a couple hours before I found out what he had and I was quite surprised he made the fold but, in thinking about it later, felt it was probably a good one. My range of pushing from the SB here is probably AA-JJ/AK (maybe TT, I think that would be a close decision).

[/ QUOTE ]

I put you on AK here... np