PDA

View Full Version : AA - misplayed or "that's poker"?

45suited
08-05-2005, 08:44 AM
Definitely not a bad beat post. I mini-raised UTG because a larger raise would have not gotten any action at this table. I'm not usually one to slowplay, but the flop seemed so unlikely to have hit villain. Usually with the pot being this important, I would bet and take it down. Maybe I got a little stupid and greedy. Was checking the flop a mistake? I thought my turn bet was good as it gave the draws incorrect odds. Comments appreciated...

Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 7
Seat 6: HERO ( $1010 )
Seat 4: chilliparmer ( $1270 )
Seat 1: SOS_2 ( $420 )
Seat 3: dangerwr ( $2475 )
Seat 9: Repon ( $790 )
Seat 8: jupiter1929 ( $1420 )
Seat 2: MizziLizzi ( $615 )

Blinds(50/100)

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO [ As Ac ]
HERO raises [200].
jupiter1929 calls [200].
Repon folds.
SOS_2 folds.
MizziLizzi folds.
dangerwr folds.
chilliparmer folds.

** Dealing Flop ** [ 2c, 6d, 5h ]
HERO checks.
jupiter1929 checks.

** Dealing Turn ** [ 8d ]
HERO bets [350].
jupiter1929 calls [350].

** Dealing River ** [ 9d ]
HERO checks.
jupiter1929 bets [500].
HERO is all-In [460]
jupiter1929 shows [ Kd, Qd ] a flush, king high.

tigerite
08-05-2005, 08:48 AM
I honestly think this clever-tricky-play with AA UTG preflop is over-rated. You only have just over 10BB and if your opponents are anywhere near observant they'll realise a minraise is likely to mean a strong hand. I'd either make a standard raise (probably) or just push. Then I would for sure bet that flop.

45suited
08-05-2005, 08:52 AM
Yeah, it's almost never my style to get this tricky.

I kinda feel like I got what I deserved. Just wanted to see if others felt the same way.

USGrant
08-05-2005, 09:02 AM
This guy would have called a standard raise with KdQd. With AA you are looking for players to call with standard raises.

I don't min-raise with AA unless I'm HU or ITM already. My line of thinking with AA is that I'd rather take my chances of winning only the blinds then pricing in multi. people who are holding connectors and the like with a min-raise at Level 3. More than 50% of the time your standard raise is going to get called, unless as you say the table is super tight. But if they're that tight, they are smart players, and will know that your mini-raise means a lot of strength.

Your turn bet was smaller than 1x the pot on a coordinated board for flush and straight draws. If you checked the flop (which prob. not a good idea in 1st place) you should push the turn for 800 chips, or whatever you had, to make a player on a draw really have to gamble with bad pot odds.

08-05-2005, 09:58 AM
Not betting that flop leaves yourself susceptible to drawing hands like that. Him calling a bet on the turn is a little weird, but he wouldn't have had he not had the four flush that you allowed him to get for free.

durron597
08-05-2005, 10:04 AM
I don't like slowplaying AA because quite frankly if no one has anything you aren't getting action anyway and it always looks like AA.

So I would make it 275 preflop (which is a standard raise for me at this level) and 1/2 pot the flop.

45suited
08-05-2005, 10:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not betting that flop leaves yourself susceptible to drawing hands like that. Him calling a bet on the turn is a little weird, but he wouldn't have had he not had the four flush that you allowed him to get for free.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I know that... As I said, I almost never slowplay. I hate slowplaying. But also keep in mind that I did at least give him incorrect odds to call the turn. Not saying I played it right since I should have raised more pre-flop, bet the flop, etc. The key thing here is that I needed to win the pot. Shouldn't have gotten fancy.

But to say that I allowed his drawing hand to call on the turn? Yes I did, but at an incorrect price. So I don't think that my turn bet was godawful or anything.

durron597
08-05-2005, 10:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

But to say that I allowed his drawing hand to call on the turn? Yes I did, but at an incorrect price. So I don't think that my turn bet was godawful or anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, even with implied odds he's not getting the right price (He stacks you every time it hits).

On the other hand if he thinks his pair outs are good (you have a hand like A8 or 99 or something) then he does have odds to call the turn, no?

45suited
08-05-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, even with implied odds he's not getting the right price (He stacks you every time it hits).

On the other hand if he thinks his pair outs are good (you have a hand like A8 or 99 or something) then he does have odds to call the turn, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

I see what you're saying... I'm not saying that his call was terrible either, just that my turn bet was not the worst part of the hand. My donk raise preflop and flop check were the parts of the hand that truly sucked. Especially the mini-raise preflop.

I deserved to lose this hand and I know it. I actually have a sign on my monitor that says "Don't Slowplay!".

Of course I will in extreme circumstances, but this should not have been one of them.

08-05-2005, 10:15 AM
I would have raised to 300 pre-flop and pot-bet the flop, and pushed all-in on the turn if the flop bet was called. No time to be fancy here. If you get cracked with that style of betting, that's just poker. If you were cracked by someone making terrible drawing bets, then you'll get that money back eventually when you run across him again.

KramerTM
08-05-2005, 10:19 AM
I don't mind the min-raise only if you are planning to push as soon as the flop comes out, even if it is rags.

45suited
08-05-2005, 10:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would have raised to 300 pre-flop and pot-bet the flop, and pushed all-in on the turn if the flop bet was called. No time to be fancy here. If you get cracked with that style of betting, that's just poker. If you were cracked by someone making terrible drawing bets, then you'll get that money back eventually when you run across him again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to nit-pick, but what you're really saying is you would have raised to 300 pre-flop and pushed the flop. A pot size bet on the flop would have been my entire stack.

I agree that's what I should've done, BTW.

Dr_Jeckyl_00
08-05-2005, 10:23 AM
I hate slow playing for the reason you experienced. I would have bet 3xbb pf, and continued betting on flop. Winning a small pot is better than losing a pot, IMO. But occassionally I also get greedy and need to be reminded... like you were last night.

08-05-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or he's a bad enough player not to be thinking about odds? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif