PDA

View Full Version : Bad play (and or) bad beat?

08-05-2005, 05:17 AM
Hi there,

Just had an interesting hand on Pokerroom.com.

I had been playing fairly tight on a $25 NL 10 handed table, and was on $35. I was UTG+1. Guy on the button seemed to have been playing pretty loose, in on 90% of the hands and raising preflop with nothing. He was on $42.

I had 78h. I would not normally play this, but thought I would give it a go to see if I could see the flop cheaply. I called BB for 0.25. Everyone folded to button who raised to $1. SB called, BB folded, I called.

Pot: $3.25

The flop came: 6c 9s 10s. SB checked, I raised $5, Button called and SB folded.

Turn was Kc (I think). I bet $10, and SB called.

River was Ah. I bet all in, and SB called and showed down

JQc to win. Said he was going for the flush!!?

I think I probably went wrong by being in this hand at all, but I would appreciate some analysis.

Thanks,

James

BirdieLongSocks
08-05-2005, 05:27 AM
Preflop is ok, suited connectors are easy to fold.

Pot it on the flop, your bet screams like you whant someone to fold.

Button called your big flop bet so he will not be drawing so many times in this situation, check and hope he gives you odds to call.

IbrakeFORrivers
08-05-2005, 05:52 AM
If you're gonna go all in, do it on the flop. The SPADE flush draw is what you should be worried about.

All in bets are overrated on the river. Too many ppl use them to "punish" the other for calling on the turn. Bring in a pot-sized bet if anything on the river. You need some kind of feel, so if he re-raises you, you kind of know what he has. After the flop, he did have an open-ended str8 draw. And if the guy on the button was your opponent and you say he was loose, then $5 would be an easy call for an open-ended(for him).
Loose ppl love pre-flop calling suited cards. Esp. if they're painted (face cards). And they love caling down to the river without regard to pot-odds.

IbrakeFORrivers
08-05-2005, 05:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I think I probably went wrong by being in this hand at all, but I would appreciate some analysis.

Thanks,

James

[/ QUOTE ]

not at all. Mix up your game. It's good. Some pros lose money intentionally on "advertising" because they know the long-run benefits of remaining "mysterious" helps their game. I think a lot of it is plain bad luck too. You hit a str8 on the flop.