PDA

View Full Version : How Smart is Your Significant Other Compared to You?

webmonarch
08-05-2005, 03:18 AM
For those who have spouses, long term boyfriends/girlfriends, etc. I.e. "significant others."

How much of a "smart" buffer is between you? That is, are you a lot smarter than your significant other? A lot less smart?

How much does it matter when getting together? Did it turn you on? Off? Make you wonder about long term possibilities?

BTW, I'm not really talking about IQ score or whatever qualitative scale you have. I'm just asking for "feel."

SamIAm
08-05-2005, 03:23 AM
This thread is useless without a poll.
-Sam
http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9610/03/nobel/poland.krakow.lg.jpg

MCS
08-05-2005, 03:26 AM

webmonarch
08-05-2005, 03:32 AM
Yeah. I agree, but maybe someone could shed some light on the whole adding a poll thing, cause I don't get that as an option when I post.

TheTROLL
08-05-2005, 03:35 AM
You don't see these 4 check boxes before the Continue button for a new post?

X Add a poll to this post. Total questions: (1)

X Add this thread to my favorites.

X Add signature to this post

X I want to preview my post

TStoneMBD
08-05-2005, 06:02 AM
i dont have a significant other but when i get married it better be because my wife thinks about things from the same perspective as me and not just because she has a nice pooper.

Matty
08-05-2005, 06:30 AM
I'm definitely smarter, but it isn't a blowout. She's a lot more successful though, which led me to believe she was smarter in the beginning.

Now that I know better, I find myself much more attracted to girls who I know for a fact are smarter or as smart as me.

oneeye13
08-05-2005, 08:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i dont have a significant other but when i get married it better be because my wife thinks about things from the same perspective as me and not just because she has a nice pooper.

[/ QUOTE ]

the less eloquent refer to it as a "turdcutter"

2planka
08-05-2005, 09:05 AM
I am more book smart than my wife.

However, the Warden has Spidey sense and has mastered both the Jedi mind trick and the Vulcan mind probe.

I need one of those Magneto helmets.

FouTight
08-05-2005, 09:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm definitely smarter, but it isn't a blowout. She's a lot more successful though, which led me to believe she was smarter in the beginning.

Now that I know better, I find myself much more attracted to girls who I know for a fact are smarter or as smart as me.

[/ QUOTE ]

My long time girlfriend is definately more successful then me, she isn't less smart then me, but definately in a different way. I'm more technically inclined and have a much more mathematical approach to things (but obviously have poor spelling skills (I assume I'm spelling about 8 words wrong in this post)).

She is much better with, what I would call, social intelligence. My skill set is much more traditional

ChipWrecked
08-05-2005, 09:07 AM
I'd say about equally smart, tho she has much more education than I.

These days she uses it at home with the tot and watching Fox News all day /images/graemlins/frown.gif

LaggyLou
08-05-2005, 09:14 AM
I would say that she is just as smart as I am. She is really really great at things that I am not so good at. I am much better than her at other things.

Smart women rule. A woman who is not smart, no matter how good looking, would get boring fast.

RunDownHouse
08-05-2005, 09:20 AM
My girlfriend is in an MD/PhD program where, at the completion of her 8 years, she'll have both degrees and specialize in pediatric oncology. I still insist I'm smarter, though.

TheWorstPlayer
08-05-2005, 09:43 AM
My long-time girlfriend is incredibly smart. It was always a big turn on that she did better than I did in school (we went to college together). I am pretty smart and pick up on most things very quickly but she always understands things when I explain them to her, even when they are from my field or poker or whatever and completely outside her natural realm of interest/study. So despite my being very smart, there is not a big buffer because she is very smart, too, and that is a big attraction for me.

jakethebake
08-05-2005, 09:46 AM
I like cheese.

SPhilly
08-05-2005, 10:05 AM
I have about 12 years worth of schooling more than my wife. She is actually very smart though. It is kind of refreshing when we debate a topic because her views are less influenced(?) although still intelligent. Does that make any sense??

Matty
08-05-2005, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have about 12 years worth of schooling more than my wife. She is actually very smart though. It is kind of refreshing when we debate a topic because her views are less influenced(?) although still intelligent. Does that make any sense??

[/ QUOTE ]No.

DrSavage
08-05-2005, 10:11 AM
I R SMART

CCass
08-05-2005, 10:14 AM
I think I am smarter than my wife (but not by a lot). This isn't a reflection of her smarts, I think I am smarter than most people.

"Smarts" was definitely a factor when I decided that my wife was "the one".

swede123
08-05-2005, 10:21 AM
I'd say my wife is much smarter than me in terms of pure brain power. She's taken official (rather than the web ones) IQ tests where she's scored in the 130-140 range.

On the other hand, I'd say I'm more rounded. Not only do I have computer hacker skills, I also possess some serious bo staff skills.

All in all I'd say I liked the fact that she was intelligent and bright when dating her. Dumb chicks are fun for a while but once the novelty wears off it gets old to have a stupid ho around for the long term.

Swede

BeerMoney
08-05-2005, 10:29 AM
My wife is a lot smarter than I am. Like, 10X smarter.

One thing that people seem to be confusing is intelligence and personality. When you decide if you like someone or not, its their personality, not their intelligence that you usually like. There is a correlation of course, but there is a defference between intelligence and personality.

I know a lot of very smart women who aren't nearly as fun or interesting as your run of the mill cheerleader type.

Your significant other's intelligence is really only an issue if they are dumb but insist they are smart.

---Another quality post from BEER$$---

webmonarch
08-05-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I see the first three, but not the poll. I use Firefox, does that matter?

jakethebake
08-05-2005, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes!....wait.....no. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-05-2005, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you have to make 500 OOT posts before you're allowed to make a poll. Also, your wife is smarter than you are, isn't she?

SPhilly
08-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Didn't think so.
Edit: "My wife is obviously smarter"

turnipmonster
08-05-2005, 11:28 AM
wife is smarter, although she did marry me, so she can't be too smart /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

SPhilly
08-05-2005, 11:31 AM
My father used to have a similar saying:
"I may be smarter but she picked me so she obviously has better taste"

Toro
08-05-2005, 11:32 AM
I got the smarts and she got the looks. I kind of like it that way.

NoTalent
08-05-2005, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nice! I'd like to think I'm smarter than my wife, but we are probally equal.

jakethebake
08-05-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nice! I'd like to think I'm smarter than my wife, but we are probally equal.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're generally smart enough to let us think we're smarter whether we are or aren't.

webmonarch
08-05-2005, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your significant other's intelligence is really only an issue if they are dumb but insist they are smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. The other thing that will drive me nuts is when a girlfriend refuses to admit when she is wrong about something that I can absolutely prove to her. That's real annoying.

ChipWrecked
08-05-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
she'll have both degrees and specialize in pediatric oncology.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Smart and guts, too. Being around cancer patient children would be about the hardest job I can think of.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-05-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
she'll have both degrees and specialize in pediatric oncology.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Smart and guts, too. Being around cancer patient children would be about the hardest job I can think of.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is tough. My wife has a good friend who does this. She gets attached to the kids and then they die and it's really hard on her. She says she wouldn't dream of doing anything else, though.

webmonarch
08-05-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, your wife is smarter than you are, isn't she?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I also have a small penis. I use these forums to discuss my inadequacies. Thanks for the poll answer though. You must be smarter than your wife. I can tell already.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-05-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, your wife is smarter than you are, isn't she?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I also have a small penis. I use these forums to discuss my inadequacies. Thanks for the poll answer though. You must be smarter than your wife. I can tell already.

[/ QUOTE ]
Clearly.

RunDownHouse
08-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Although I win for brains, she has me beat for intestinal fortitude.

Mercsgrl
08-05-2005, 04:48 PM
Granted Tank definitely has more book smarts....he's the only person I know that can make use of the words satiated, ebullient, and efficacies in a general conversation about fruit. However my MA in English puts his BA in Music to shame /images/graemlins/tongue.gif so much for that NYU Education. My job is also respected a lot more than being a fruit guy! . <font color="purple"> </font> LMAO!!

/images/graemlins/heart.gifStef /images/graemlins/heart.gif

dtbog
08-05-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you have to make 500 OOT posts before you're allowed to make a poll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

08-05-2005, 04:52 PM
I'm a lot less smart than my girlfriend. She was like a National Merit Scholarship Finalist and I was like the biggest [censored] slacker ever. Still am.

dtbog
08-05-2005, 04:52 PM
I once read a study claiming that a gap of more than 30 IQ points renders conversation and interaction almost useless between two people.

Has anyone seen this?

MercTec
08-05-2005, 04:54 PM
ouch /images/graemlins/frown.gif

at least i make more money /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eegs
08-05-2005, 05:01 PM
well shes more into school and im more analytical...Id give her the edge...shes getting the degree from stanford and im not /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Mercsgrl
08-05-2005, 05:06 PM
Yes you do...that just means I get to spend more hahahahaha.
I wonder how much flirting a pineapple daisy does?? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif....tell me something will you be honest with it??

MercTec
08-05-2005, 05:14 PM
Pineapples are pretty dull....its the strawberries you have to worry about. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mercsgrl
08-05-2005, 05:38 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/mercsgrl/strawberry.jpghttp://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/mercsgrl/pineapple.jpg

To me the strawberry looks a little dull.

imported_anacardo
08-05-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I once read a study claiming that a gap of more than 30 IQ points renders conversation and interaction almost useless between two people.

Has anyone seen this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe this is true, though it might explain a lot.

offTopic
08-05-2005, 06:03 PM
I'll let OOT be the judge...is it:

a:
Bachelor's degree in Finance - UCLA
MBA - Stanford

-or-

b:
Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering - UC-Berkeley
MSCS - San Jose State

The Truth
08-05-2005, 06:08 PM
Everybody that said "we are equal"

is the stupid one.

offTopic
08-05-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haggis knuckles in the rendered kestrel barleycorn.

What pastel Arlington speaker in the Dry-Erase?

Canada but maybe arugula.

SHIP IT!

Luv2DriveTT
08-05-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes you do...that just means I get to spend more hahahahaha.
I wonder how much flirting a pineapple daisy does?? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif....tell me something will you be honest with it??

[/ QUOTE ]

Complete and TOTAL pwnage Stef.... keep up the good work.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

Duke
08-05-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Has anyone seen this?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but I think that would explain why OOT is what it is.

~D

Mercsgrl
08-05-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Complete and TOTAL pwnage Stef.... keep up the good work.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thank you...Thank you!

willie
08-05-2005, 07:29 PM
as smart as i am, if not more

since she has me wrapped the [censored] around her finger.

zephed
08-06-2005, 06:57 AM
She's smarter than me, not by much though.

I have the clear edge on laziness, though.

Brainwalter
08-06-2005, 07:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]No.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

MrFeelNothin
08-06-2005, 07:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a lot less smart than my girlfriend. She was like a National Merit Scholarship Finalist and I was like the biggest [censored] slacker ever. Still am.

[/ QUOTE ]

These two things are not mutually exclusive. All you have to do to become a National Merit Finalist is do well on a multiple-choice test. Well, basically.

MCS
08-08-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

a:
MBA - Stanford

-or-

b:
MSCS - San Jose State

[/ QUOTE ]

I think (b) is the favorite, but not by much. (a) could easily be smarter and just have different interests. If I have to pick, I pick (b).

Shajen
08-08-2005, 04:31 PM
She's dumb as a brick. Obviously, she has to be to put up with my dumb ass.

Either that or she's brilliant and is conducting an experiment in social engineering or something.

webmonarch
08-08-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Has anyone seen this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen this, but I would LOVE to read it. I can see where it may be very true.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-08-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

a:
MBA - Stanford

-or-

b:
MSCS - San Jose State

[/ QUOTE ]

I think (b) is the favorite, but not by much. (a) could easily be smarter and just have different interests. If I have to pick, I pick (b).

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm going to go with B here, too.

jakethebake
08-08-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

a:
MBA - Stanford

-or-

b:
MSCS - San Jose State

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

B

offTopic
08-08-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

a:
MBA - Stanford

-or-

b:
MSCS - San Jose State

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

B

[/ QUOTE ]

Whooee! I'm up 3-0!

Would it change anyone's opinion if I included that she got waaaaaaay better grades than I did in our respective majors?

MCS
08-08-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

a:
MBA - Stanford

-or-

b:
MSCS - San Jose State

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

B

[/ QUOTE ]

Whooee! I'm up 3-0!

Would it change anyone's opinion if I included that she got waaaaaaay better grades than I did in our respective majors?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I would now say she is the favorite.

peachy
08-08-2005, 05:22 PM
well my whatever he is....he is smarter...but just in some things...we even each other out

Derek in NYC
08-08-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah. I agree, but maybe someone could shed some light on the whole adding a poll thing, cause I don't get that as an option when I post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously your S.O. has the edge on you.

Indiana
08-08-2005, 05:23 PM
dat biotch is dumb as hell.

Indy

08-08-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Has anyone seen this?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is a reference to the cutoff for the label "developmentally disabled" (or "retarded" as less sensitive people might call it) being 70, which is 30 less than the average of 100. The argument is that this means that for someone with a 130 IQ, talking to someone of average intelligence is like an average person talking to someone with DD.

Meh.

Derek in NYC
08-08-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Haggis knuckles in the rendered kestrel barleycorn.

What pastel Arlington speaker in the Dry-Erase?

Canada but maybe arugula.

SHIP IT!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok Noam Chomsky.

Lawrence Ng
08-08-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How much of a "smart" buffer is between you? That is, are you a lot smarter than your significant other? A lot less smart?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's just say that if I have a 4.0 GPA, she'll need at least a 3.2 GPA for me to date her.

[ QUOTE ]
How much does it matter when getting together? Did it turn you on? Off? Make you wonder about long term possibilities?

[/ QUOTE ]

Smart women are a huge turn on for me. It matters a lot.

edtost
08-08-2005, 10:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

a:
MBA - Stanford

-or-

b:
MSCS - San Jose State

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

B

[/ QUOTE ]

Whooee! I'm up 3-0!

[/ QUOTE ]

it would lead me to believe that she's a giant overachiever who works way too hard, but "MBA - Stanford" already told us this.

jakethebake
08-09-2005, 08:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
well my whatever he is....he is smarter...but just in some things...we even each other out

[/ QUOTE ]

such as....?

samjjones
08-09-2005, 08:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

a:
MBA - Stanford

-or-

b:
MSCS - San Jose State

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll take "B" for $200, Alex.

OtisTheMarsupial
08-09-2005, 10:18 AM
Mine is slightly smarter than I am in many ways; I am slightly smarter in a few other ways. If there was a huge diference in our intelligence, we wouldn't be together for long.

wacki
08-09-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
we're both geniuses

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering how much you suck at law (which you are also studying in school) I highly doubt this. Just giving you a reality check, which you need.

OtisTheMarsupial
08-09-2005, 11:10 AM
Go talk to your lawyer and ask him if it's a good idea or not a good idea to post pictures of girls on the internet without their permission.

Then ask if it's a good idea to link to other sites without getting their permission first.

I think you're getting confused here. Just like internet gaming, the legal lines are blurry and haven't been totally defined. And just like internet gaming, it might be worth it to take the risk individually because the chances of getting caught are small and the chances of winning lots f money are big.

Same thing here. OOT makes 2+2 a lot of money and it might be worth it to look the other way because the chances of getting sued are small. That doesn't change the fact that there's a chance to get sued and that the legality of many of these posts is in question. It's a risk. A calculated one, that let's the business profit, but one that in the long run could turn out to be a bad move for a variety of reasons, not just legal.

Nick-Zack
08-09-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My story exactly. She has a Masters degree - I dropped out of college. I am still much smarter - she just works at it more.

wacki
08-09-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Go talk to your lawyer and ask him if it's a good idea or not a good idea to post pictures of girls on the internet without their permission.

Then ask if it's a good idea to link to other sites without getting their permission first.

I think you're getting confused here. Just like internet gaming, the legal lines are blurry and haven't been totally defined. And just like internet gaming, it might be worth it to take the risk individually because the chances of getting caught are small and the chances of winning lots f money are big.

Same thing here. OOT makes 2+2 a lot of money and it might be worth it to look the other way because the chances of getting sued are small. That doesn't change the fact that there's a chance to get sued and that the legality of many of these posts is in question. It's a risk. A calculated one, that let's the business profit, but one that in the long run could turn out to be a bad move for a variety of reasons, not just legal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I already did. My dad is very good lawyer. He's good enough that governors and mayors buy him VIP tickets to special events. He's a senior partner at a very large law firm. I sent him an e-mail.

Although I am not legally allowed to copy what he said in his e-mail, I still stand by my statement that you suck at law. Thanks for getting "Is my gf cute" thread deleted. Although I agree the OP was a bit immature (and in lust/love) there was some good discussion in that thread.

BTW, this is one more reason that you, and everyone like you, make me sick.

LethalRose
08-09-2005, 11:45 PM
I think its close.

Im an engineer.

she can save someone's life.