PDA

View Full Version : Crazy action with Pat 8 - 2/4 2-7 Triple Draw

Burdzthewurd
08-05-2005, 03:17 AM
H.O.R.S.E.D. home game, 5-handed (I'd post this in home games, but I figure advice is better here).

UTG who is decent at all the games straddles, one fold, Button who knows little to nothing about 2-7 3-bets and I cap in the SB with 24578 (I think that's reasonable in a game where people are raising rough J draws before the 1st draw). BB folds, UTG and Button call. I stand pat, UTG draws 2, and Button stands pat. He's standed pat on rough 9's before. What do I do after the 1st draw here?

timprov
08-05-2005, 03:33 AM
Bet. If he raises, 3-bet. If he caps, draw.

MarkGritter
08-05-2005, 03:37 AM
I would bet, hoping that UTG raises to drive out button. If that occurs, check/call down vs. a player known to stand pat with 9s. (There are a lot more hands that lose to you than beat you in this circumstance.)

If button tags along I would not mind putting in two bets every round here.

If it were four-handed I might be tempted to go for the 7; you have a 40% chance (assuming all 11 outs are good) of making the same hand or improving. But I think you have an equal or better chance of already having the best hand in this situation.

EDIT: I completely screwed up the action, obviously past my bedtime. Check/raise to attempt to get UTG out, not bet to get button out. A 3-bet by button would be a little worrisome. You can't use a cap to determine what to do as Tim suggests.

Burdzthewurd
08-05-2005, 03:47 AM
I actually lead out, UTG raised, button thought awhile and 3-bet (Not liking this). I called and UTG put the cap on, we both called.

I decided to break my 8 and go for the 7, UTG drew one (caps and draws 1, wtf?) and Button stood pat again. I bricked with a paint and checked, UTG bet and Button called. UTG said he was staying pat before it was my turn to stand pat or draw. Anyone else think I'm dead to a #1 here? I probably have to call down if I make a 24567, right?

MarkGritter
08-05-2005, 03:51 AM
I may be weak-tight, but I don't like this line at all.

You are putting in 2 BB this round, then 1 BB the next, then 1 BB for a showdown if you make your hand. Instead you could pay the same 3 BB to get to showdown with your current hand.

You might also put in a raise in only to discover that your 765 is no good.

There are villians out there who gladly cap with the 9.

There are also smart opponents who will call you down with an 86 or 85 after the 3-bet.

I sort of like 3-betting because you are likely to have a better hand, but I'd rather freeze villian on a worse hand. The problem with my approach is that villian has position and can take a free showdown; I'd rather call down with position to ensure that one bet goes in every street.