PDA

View Full Version : Help against a loose player please.

Doctor R
03-15-2003, 07:21 AM
Here's the problem.

I am a fairly consistent winner in multi-handed games. I'm a very tight player, but not as aggressive as I should be. Probably because of that, I often find making the transition to HU difficult. I seem to bounce between not looseing up enough and going too far.

I'm in a local HU tournament starting this week. Luckily I know my first opponent well.

Unless short stacked, he is a calling station with any picture card, two suited cards, or connectors (capable of raising as well). He'll bet aggressively if he hits anything on the board and will call most bets down with any type of draw. He's also capable of sticking in bluffs from nowhere. When short stacked he becomes a much more conservative player pre-flop, but pretty much the same player once the flop has come.

I know how to beat him nearly every time in a multi handed game, and have made a great deal of profit from him. But I find it difficult heads up. He sees a lot of flops and it is very hard to knock him off a hand with anything less than a monster raise. His bluffs seem to be thrown in randomly and as such are very hard to read. On more than one occaision I have lost big pots to him re-raising a suspected bluff with a decent hand only to walk into the nuts.

Can anyone help? I'm tempted loosen up pre-flop, try and come in cheaply, and then take him all the way when I hit a hand.

Incidently, it is No Limit HE, $2000 chips, blinds 25-50 doubling every 30 mins.

Thanks.

R.