PDA

View Full Version : Just take my lumps?

spatz
03-15-2003, 06:06 AM
4-8 southern california ram and jam game. I've been playing conservative the hour i've been there. I get AKo under the gun and raise. For some reason this hand I only get one caller on the button.

Flop comes A 8 J rainbow.
I check looking to check raise. He checks behind me.

Turn is a blank.
I check because these guys can't stand a checked pot twice. He bets, I raise, he three bets. In this game, if someone three bets the turn usually means VERY solid hand. I call

River is a blank. I check call.

He flips over pocket jacks for a set and my top pair top kicker is no good.

Would any of you played this hand differently? Thrown away on the turn or river? Bet the flop?

I know it depends on the player, but this was truly a loose aggressive game.

Thanks in advance.

RockLobster
03-15-2003, 10:19 AM
I've been playing conservative the hour i've been there. I get AKo under the gun and raise. For some reason this hand I only get one caller on the button.

I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic here. Sounds like they're paying attention, and smartly dumped once you came to life. All except for the guy with an actual hand.

Flop comes A 8 J rainbow.
I check looking to check raise. He checks behind me.

That's too big of a gamble heads up. This is the only decent hand you've had for the hour that you've been there, I'd bet it.

Turn is a blank.
I check because these guys can't stand a checked pot twice. He bets, I raise, he three bets. In this game, if someone three bets the turn usually means VERY solid hand. I call

Your hand is vulnerable, I wouldn't have tried for the c/r here either. I would bet, and called his raise, preparing to call all the way down.

Would any of you played this hand differently? Thrown away on the turn or river? Bet the flop?

I think the check call at the end is mandatory, heads up with top pair / top kicker.

Jeffage
03-15-2003, 12:15 PM
Forget about the results while considering this hand. Sometimes Top-Top gets beat. Think about how you played it. Why check the flop...a checkraise will not work on an opponent who has worse than you most of the time...it looks to suspect after your preflop raise. He expects you to bet. I would bet hoping he raises a worse ace so I can reraise. I think going for a checkraise here is a big mistake and usually will not work and cost you bets (for example if he would call one bet with an underpair looking for a set on the flop but not the turn or a runner draw, or a weak ace he is afraid to bet). On the turn, you check again. In your spot, I would bet the turn but if your sure he'll bet I guess it isn't terrible. But he may just check behind again. Also, if you checkraise him, with what hands do you expect him to call or reraise you with. Lemme tell you, it ain't pretty. He may only reraise you with hands that you trail badly and fold mediocre hands. The best play if u decide to check the turn (which I wouldnt) is to call his bet, then lead the river. You may get a sucker call that way. Either way my action on this hand is reraise pre, bet, bet, bet. I'd call any raise and then check-call.

JMO,
Jeff

SoBeDude
03-15-2003, 12:50 PM
I'm totally with Jeff on this one.

raise, bet, bet, bet. and yup, sometimes you're gonna get busted with with TP/TK. If it won every time we wouldn't have fish.

I think check-raising here is a mistake heads-up. a flop check-raise is good if you think someone in LP will bet and your C/R will then push others out of the pot. This helps protect your hand.

Also I've developed an appreciation for playing a bit more directly these days. I think betting out on the flop is the right play against one player, and wins the most money in the long run.

I think your read on his re-raise is good, but you needed to check-call the river here. TP/TK is good too often to even consider folding.

-Scott

spatz
03-20-2003, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. A lot of good stuff here.