PDA

View Full Version : Meaning in life time to make a move.,,,,

arod15
08-04-2005, 10:15 PM
While working in NY as an accountant i've grown sick of my job. Its a fine job but i find no meaning in what i do. At the end of the day i dont feel as if i did anything. More and more i been leaning toward going to law school. But am a little afraid of leaving the comfortable life that im am. Just wanted to here comments from anyone who worked and went back and there experiences. Its a huge commitement, (think 250K+ from time tuition and salaries lost). Ive never been one to back away from a challenge so i will do it, but am curoius to know from others on thoughts. Does any job ever make you feel good at the end of the day? Just struggling trying to find a meaning in my work life.....

RacersEdge
08-04-2005, 10:49 PM
A lot of jobs do, but I can see how accounting would not be one. Not much room for creativity (legally), and you're kind of on the sideline keeping score instead of playing the game.

I'd definintely consider changing to something different - just look into what kind of job you will have as a lawyer and make sure that's what you want to do.

Turkish
08-04-2005, 10:53 PM
I just graduated with a degree in accounting and already know I don't like it, so atleast I saved the time of finding out after getting the job. I would say go for it, as long as you know that's what you really want to do.

fsuplayer
08-04-2005, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just graduated with a degree in accounting

[/ QUOTE ]

sucker.

Turkish
08-04-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sucker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I have a feeling I would have found an equal lack of meaning in pretty much any scholastic direction.

fsuplayer
08-04-2005, 11:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sucker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I have a feeling I would have found an equal lack of meaning in pretty much any scholastic direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

right, and you're a sucker for choosing the major that was the hardest.

snowbank
08-04-2005, 11:12 PM

I'm with ya there

snowbank
08-04-2005, 11:17 PM
I'd make the jump. Why stay in something you don't like?

HDPM
08-04-2005, 11:33 PM
"At the end of the day i dont feel as if i did anything"

And you want to be a lawyer??????

Look, if you go to law school you might end up doing law that calls on your accounting background. Then what? Do you think there is a kind of law practice that would excite you? What is it?

I think if you want something different, look for more rewarding careers than law. Depends on what you do. Law can be extremely rewarding at times. It can also be reaaly annoying, dull, and rotten. Don't kid yourself about how great it will be. It can be great. Often isn't and many people hate it.

DasLeben
08-05-2005, 02:15 AM
Well, I'm in the midst of a career change myself. I'm a graduate of a top aeronautical university with a B.S. in Aeronautical Science, along with commercial pilot and flight instructor certificates. From a very young age, I wanted to fly airplanes. When I got older, I decided that I would like to fly jets for a major airline, and spent four years in college working towards that goal. I took out roughly $130,000 in student loans and made it happen.

As soon as I graduated, I took a look around. I fully expected to graduate, go work as a flight instructor for a couple years, then go fly for some regional carrier. In fact, this had been my plan for years. But when I got out of school, things just didn't feel right. The aviation industry for pilots is a very volatile one, with low initial pay and terrible job security. Even senior pilots for large carriers are taking massive pay cuts, and are still subject to furlough. I love to fly, but I decided that in order to go into this industry, you had to have some other reason besides "I love to fly." What that reason is, I have no clue.

So, I started casually looking at other options, and came up with the idea to go work for the FAA. Long story short, I'm moving to Los Angeles in December to spend a year in Air Traffic Controller school. I'm making a very difficult jump, but I think it will be well worth it in the end.

Anyways, that's just my story. I can't really give you much advice, but I just wanted to point out that you're not alone not feeling satisfied with job or an industry. Good luck out there.

daryn
08-05-2005, 03:27 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

sucker.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

are you joking?

[censored]
08-05-2005, 03:30 AM
yes accounting sucks. many of us discover that too late.

fsuplayer
08-05-2005, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sucker.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

are you joking?

[/ QUOTE ]

sort of, he's a good friend of mine.

jakethebake
08-05-2005, 10:00 AM
If I had it to do all over, I would get dual degrees in Accounting and Lw and be a tax lawyer. I think keeping as much money out of the hands of the government as possible is a very noble profession.

RunDownHouse
08-05-2005, 11:53 AM
http://anonymouslawyer.blogspot.com
http://philalawyer.blogspot.com
http://www.tuckermax.com

Read those and get back to us on what you think of the legal profession.

Maulik
08-05-2005, 06:41 PM

ahh, engineering, physics, mathematics, anything that's a science yet not a plant science is much harder than account. accounting is the only business degree with value, its a trade.

to Alex, go back to school and get a degree in engineering with an IQ of 135 that should be do able and difficult. Those blogs should be great reads. And as someone mentioned you'll be on the sidelines again this time in a different manner. Why not consider taking some time off and working on your father's business which has the groundwork in place?

holla

arod15
08-06-2005, 12:58 AM
big words coming from a seminole yeah thats a top school hahaha

arod15
08-06-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i dont think it sucks as you move higher it gets more interesting and you learn a ton. the saying is 1 year in public accounting is like 3 years in any other job. i agree with that my issue isnt accounting, its a good career and in the big 4 where im at in NYC u can make millions its my feeling of not serving a better good that bugs me at the end of the day im serving the man big corperate america id much rather help a person who got racially profiled or got a frivolous law suit thats the issue.....

HDPM
08-06-2005, 01:57 AM
Based on this post, don't quit and go to law school yet. You are setting yourself up to be less productive and more unhappy. Figure out why you should like what you do more. Hint - there isn't some "better good" lurking in the ether out there for you to discover through law school.

TimM
08-06-2005, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any fan of Monty Python knows that accounting sucks.

The Goober
08-06-2005, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does any job ever make you feel good at the end of the day?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Not always "I made the world a better place" good, but often its "I did something I can be proud of" good.

I once talked to an accountant who loved her job - she was a forensic accountant. It sounds very cool and very satisfying when you finally put the pieces together and figure out where the money went. Might be something to think about.

arod15
08-06-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I had it to do all over, I would get dual degrees in Accounting and Lw and be a tax lawyer. I think keeping as much money out of the hands of the government as possible is a very noble profession.

[/ QUOTE ]
100% [censored] taxes [censored] govt.....

arod15
08-06-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
im not going to bother reading that. It doesnt matter me what a small few do to ruin the name of the legal profession. I cant control that, i can control what i do, what cases i choose, and make a bigger difference as a lawyer than as an accountant. Dont get caught up, most lawyers are good, but those dont get mentioned as it makes poor news....

arod15
08-06-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

ahh, engineering, physics, mathematics, anything that's a science yet not a plant science is much harder than account. accounting is the only business degree with value, its a trade.

to Alex, go back to school and get a degree in engineering with an IQ of 135 that should be do able and difficult. Those blogs should be great reads. And as someone mentioned you'll be on the sidelines again this time in a different manner. Why not consider taking some time off and working on your father's business which has the groundwork in place?

holla

[/ QUOTE ]
im working on it as we speak, big money looks to be in the near future, but thats not what this is about it is about finding happiness beyond money.....

ChipWrecked
08-06-2005, 09:02 PM
My acct. knowledge from my BA degree got me a start in IT supporting accounting software. Much happier now than I was in crappy sales jobs.

man
08-06-2005, 09:53 PM
quit and start a construction company. work for 2-3 years, and then reevaluate. (at least that's my plan.)

OtisTheMarsupial
08-06-2005, 10:40 PM
You might want to consider going to law school part time.

Having said that, I did my first year as a part time evening student and working full time. It was hell. Now I am a full time student, no job. Much better.

fsuplayer
08-06-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
big words coming from a seminole yeah thats a top school hahaha

[/ QUOTE ]

what are you talking about?

Rogue5
08-06-2005, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

ChipWrecked
08-07-2005, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Professor Hubert Farnsworth: But what about your superintelligence?

Gunther the Monkey: When I had that there was too much pressure to use it. All I want out of life is to be a monkey of moderate intelligence who wears a suit. That's why I've decided to transfer to Business School.

Professor Hubert Farnsworth: NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

rollingdirty
08-07-2005, 02:04 AM

Turkish
08-07-2005, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to chime in (not really) but accounting as the hardest degree that made me laugh. I wouldn't even think it was in the top 20 on the hardest scale.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he was talking about business degrees, as opposed to every single possible major.. As well, I think accounting would easily make the top 20.

rollingdirty
08-07-2005, 02:15 AM

Turkish
08-07-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to chime in (not really) but accounting as the hardest degree that made me laugh. I wouldn't even think it was in the top 20 on the hardest scale.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he was talking about business degrees, as opposed to every single possible major.. As well, I think accounting would easily make the top 20.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well ok yea maybe the hardest Business Degree but once again no to the top 20.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?? Do you have or are you currently going for a degree in accounting?? If so, I guess you can maybe make a case, but otherwise your opinion really holds little merit on the major. And no, intro to financial accounting is not what the accounting major is like.

Please post 20 you think are harder.

rollingdirty
08-07-2005, 02:33 AM

Turkish
08-07-2005, 02:40 AM
[/ QUOTE ]

MY op always has merit first of all. I took Acc 1 and 2 just like most people in college and I wasn't dumb enough to go after a degree that boring.
Not to mention the lack of original thought involved in that degree

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow,....Just wow...

arod15
08-07-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You might want to consider going to law school part time.

Having said that, I did my first year as a part time evening student and working full time. It was hell. Now I am a full time student, no job. Much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what im doing first year part time than switch. Its for financial reasons as well as it makes a better name school a tad easy to get accepted to.

newfant
08-07-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well ok yea maybe the hardest Business Degree but once again no to the top 20.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?? Do you have or are you currently going for a degree in accounting?? If so, I guess you can maybe make a case, but otherwise your opinion really holds little merit on the major. And no, intro to financial accounting is not what the accounting major is like.

Please post 20 you think are harder

[/ QUOTE ]

Physics
Electrical Engineering
Civil Engineering
Chemical Engineering
Computer Engineering
Computer Science
Biochemistry
Mechanical Engineering
Chemistry
Biological Engineering
Aerospace Engineering
Mathematics
Statistics
Nuclear Engineering
Architecture
Materials Science
Biology
Astronomy
Cognitive Science
Oceanic Engineering

Do Accounting majors even have to take Calculus? If you do have to take it, do you have to apply it in any of your classes?

I imagine 95% of my fellow engineering graduates could pass the hardest accounting class, but I doubt that even 30% of accountants could pass the hardest engineering class.

4thstreetpete
08-07-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! these are great. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Monday, July 04, 2005

One of my favorite things to do is impose artficial deadlines on projects when I assign them to associates. Not only does it get the work done faster, but it reinforces the power hierarchy. I control your time, and whether I'm going to be kind about it or capricious is entirely up to me, and there's nothing you can do about it.

There's little better than the feeling I get when I track down an associate on Friday afternoon at 4:55 and throw a stack of paper at her, explaining the work has to be on my desk by Monday morning at the latest, and then on Monday, when she drops it off, thanking her and telling her you'll get back to her later in the week sometime, when you have a chance to read it.

Wasn't it urgent? Eh, everything's urgent and nothing's urgent. The magic is that the partners are the only ones who ever really know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rogue5
08-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Right on, I'm on that list, 2nd one.
though maybe if I had gone for accounting I'd have a real job right now...
Though there are different kinds of smarts. for example I'm good at engineering BS, but pretty much suck at every other aspect of life...

Ulysses
08-07-2005, 05:13 PM
FWIW, many of my lawyer friends have switched professions for the same reasons you're thinking of leaving accounting.

arod15
08-07-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, many of my lawyer friends have switched professions for the same reasons you're thinking of leaving accounting.

[/ QUOTE ]
really... not hard to imagine i guess depends on what type of law really and the firm.. Life is tough still think ill take the chance do i think ill regret it later if i dont

Maulik
08-07-2005, 10:37 PM
so basically you just started a thread for attention /images/graemlins/confused.gif if you already knew what you wanted?

arod15
08-09-2005, 08:00 PM
I always want your attention maulik no just to see what others think about making moves.