PDA

View Full Version : Successful JJ Strategies

08-04-2005, 09:37 PM
Throughout my relatively short tournament poker experience, I have found that I misplay pocket jacks more than any other hand. I was just wondering if anyone has any successful strategies they use to play JJ. For the purpose of discussion, let's assume this is a $30 + $3 SNG with 7 players left at blinds 25-50. Hero is in middle position with average chip stack (about 1200 chips). One player with 1000 chips limps UTG+1 (No reads at this point). Behind hero are a short stack (750), a big stack (2100), and a couple of average sized stacks in the blinds. How would you play JJ in this situation preflop and on the flop (with both good and bad boards)? Thanks in advance

Weatherhead03
08-04-2005, 09:41 PM
Raise to 250 and if you get called and the flop is rags then I push.

microbet
08-04-2005, 09:44 PM
I would raise to 150 preflop.

How the flop plays would depend on how many callers there were.

Generally, if the flop is all under jacks I will play very fast and if there are any overcards I will play very tight. A highly coordinated flop and multiple callers would be reason to be careful, even when all the cards are under jacks.

And, oh yeah, use the search function and you'll find some very long threads on jacks. Some have the word "hooks" in the title.

08-04-2005, 09:47 PM
Thanks, I tried the search function but couldn't really find anything useful. I'll try with the keyword "hooks" in the title

Freudian
08-04-2005, 09:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would raise to 150 preflop.

How the flop plays would depend on how many callers there were.

Generally, if the flop is all under jacks I will play very fast and if there are any overcards I will play very tight. A highly coordinated flop and multiple callers would be reason to be careful, even when all the cards are under jacks.

And, oh yeah, use the search function and you'll find some very long threads on jacks. Some have the word "hooks" in the title.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would raise to 200 just to take the limper away from "I have to call because I am getting a good price" territory. Doubt it will have a significant effect on the EV compared to raising to 150 though.

The rest I agree with.

microbet
08-04-2005, 09:53 PM
I think you're right. 200.

ekky
08-04-2005, 10:03 PM
I have a standing order with myself that everytime I get JJ i just shovel all my chips into the pot asap.

My logic is..if they have AA/KK/QQ i would likely lose to them anyway... if they have AK i mite get them to fold/take a race.. but most importantly.. I am ECSTATIC to win the 125 already in the pot!!

whenever i win 125 chips with JJ I feel like I have committed an audacious pot-steal

skierdude1000
08-04-2005, 10:06 PM
I'd say raise to 150-200 and if you get reraised allin call. At least that's what I do and it works a good number of times (although I'm often against AQ and AK, sometimes AJ, and every now and then QQ-AA)

microbet
08-04-2005, 10:09 PM
I couldn't disagree less strongly.

Starting with less than 1000 chips I push.

ekky
08-04-2005, 10:11 PM
yeah.. my post was slightly tongue in cheek.. although its definitely how i feel sometimes.

I think making it 200 pre.. and then loving any rag flop is the natural choice.

08-04-2005, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the preflop advice. I welcome anyone to continue providing such useful insight. Now lets say that hero raised to 200 and is called by the bb and UTG + 1. The flop is medium-good, something like q 7 2 rainbow. Both players check to you. Do you push this, or sweat something like KQ, AQ, or a set???

skierdude1000
08-04-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the preflop advice. I welcome anyone to continue providing such useful insight. Now lets say that hero raised to 200 and is called by the bb and UTG + 1. The flop is medium-good, something like q 7 2 rainbow. Both players check to you. Do you push this, or sweat something like KQ, AQ, or a set???

[/ QUOTE ]

You bet at it, like 1/2 the pot I'd say and fold to a raise.

ekky
08-04-2005, 10:25 PM
condition number 2 of my JJ law:

"if the flop is JJ.. I lose my chips if someone has a Q"

Although I try to play it in a way that makes them think i have whiffed...and this is also a bit read dependant.

Most times I bet 1/2..3/4 pot or so to induce calls/over-jams from underpairs/AK thinking i have AK and will fold.