PDA

View Full Version : Starting from scratch

Zarathustra888
08-04-2005, 09:25 PM
I've grown bored of playing limit holdem and have decided to play pot limit exclusively from now on. I played limit holdem for 5 months and made a reasonable bb/100. I've played some pl holdem $25 and $100 on crypto and did quite well, and some pl stud $50 on prima and did ok there to.

Now I plan to play Holdem, omaha and stud, all pot limit. My pot limit experience is limited to about 4 weeks pl stud and 6 weeks pl holdem, and my omaha game is poor.

I've $1100 in the bankroll and need to guys to guide me along the long road to mastering this game. I feel like I'm starting all over again as I've often confused with some of the concepts of big-bet poker, and suck at omaha.

How do you go about learning all 3 games without confusing yourself? I'm not sure where I'm going with this post, didn't really think about it that much. I'm confindent of holding my own at $50pl stud and $50 pl holdem, but omaha is a problem, it'll have to be $20 for that game, and only once i've read Ciaffones omaha book.

What about multitabling? I don't plan to play any more than 2 stud tables at once because of the dead cards to remember. Thoughts on this? I could 3 table limit holdem ok.

Any pointers I'd like to hear.

Pov
08-04-2005, 11:57 PM
This is sort of a cop-out answer, but you're not a beginner and you should be reading, responding and asking (in that order of frequency) in the specific forums for the games you're playing. There are no doubt some experts in these areas that post on this forum, but you'd really be better off on a forum where all the posters play those games.

SheridanCat
08-05-2005, 10:23 AM
I'll agree with Pov that you'll probably get the best advice on the game-specific forums and the pot/no-limit forum, however I'll offer a bit to get you going.

It's a good idea to learn many games and betting structures, but be careful not to pigeonhole yourself too much. If you stop playing limit, your limit skills will atrophy and when you see a very juicy limit game you won't be bringing your best. When I play a lot of NL tournaments, I find it hard to remember how to play limit again. Just be open to other possibilities.

I've never played pot-limit stud - it sounds kinda scary. Probably pretty darned lucrative too for a skilled player.

For big-bet poker, pick up Reuben/Ciaffone's Pot Limit and No Limit Poker. It's the current bible, in my opinion. It's not an easy book, but there are very useful pieces of information in there. I think it even covers stud. Stewart Reuben also has How Good Is Your Pot Limit Omaha and How Good Is Your Pot Limit Hold'em which I think are pretty good. I've read the latter and liked it. Reread Ciaffone's Omaha book - it's thin but useful.

Start slow on the multi-tabling. There's no reason you can't do it, but start slow. And don't mix different games - I've never had luck with that at least.

Good luck,

T