PDA

View Full Version : cold run

08-04-2005, 08:42 PM
I have been playing poker for about 3 years. Actually started 3/6 B&M, taught for 1 hour by a friend (he won like 70g last year!), and crushed the game, 14 str8 wins of 300$ + before ay losses. Even after that I ran win rates like 85% of the time. So I started playing online, and have read every book available. Online started out as break even, then profitable. Played NL at first online, then moved to limit. I was successful at .5/1, then moved to 1/2, 3/6, and in the last few months have been profitable at 5/10. I cashed out 9g or so last year, and 2500 last month. Avg $900 a month from jan-june. This month, I have rebought 5 times (50 bucks each and one hundred) and cant break into the W column. I played .5/1, 1/2, and a few sit n gos and simply cannot win. Usually I throw on 50 bucks, start at the small games to build a roll, build up to 3/6 sometimes 5/10, then cash out. I feel like the cards are cold and the beats have been shitty but I just dont see that as being the whole issue. Maybe im overthinking poker? Is that possible? 1 whole month of cold and unprofitable game. Before the months started, I bought PT, and started posting on this online site. I am wondering if I am just overthinking or burning myself out, I havent ever had an unprofitable streak over 1 week before. Anyone have any suggestions or similar issues???????
thanks
chris

spaminator101
08-04-2005, 08:45 PM
your treating your bankroll as a tournament buyin
this is something that has to stop
you must have a larger bankroll to move up and still go throught the normal fluctuations of the game

Matt Williams
08-04-2005, 09:30 PM
I read your post 2 times I still don't understand it. If you want any good advice, you need to make what you write easily understandable. It's basically one huge run-on sentence. But it seems like your bankroll is not big enough. You shouldn't be counting winning streaks and you should expect to lose too.

08-04-2005, 10:29 PM
Basically, I want to know..
1. how long peoples cold streaks have ran...

2. what meta game issues have successful players had after
a period of time if any

3. My bankroll management does suck im working on that

DRKEVDC
08-04-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2. what meta game issues have successful players had after a period of time if any

[/ QUOTE ]

Lately when I have sat down at the computer I tell myself that it is primetime. I clear my head of any issues and am totally into what I am doing. Picture it like a musician as he is going onto the stage, he is not thinking about the fight that he had with his wife, he is into his show. If not the audience picks right up on that. You must treat your sessions with the same intensity.

Lastly, don't be so results oriented, play the smart poker that you know and the variance will take care of itself.

08-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Humm, this might really be my problem, it has been a perticularly shitty month and i have a lot on my plate, perhaps im letting this interfere with my game...
thanks for the input
cdl

Onaflag
08-05-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lately when I have sat down at the computer I tell myself that it is primetime. I clear my head of any issues and am totally into what I am doing. Picture it like a musician as he is going onto the stage, he is not thinking about the fight that he had with his wife, he is into his show. If not the audience picks right up on that. You must treat your sessions with the same intensity.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the main reasons I play B&M much more than online these days. Not nearly as much booze consumption, no TV, little in the way of distractions (save the occassional hottie).

I know people grinding out micro limits, bonus whoring, and others multi-tabling 3/6 getting burned out after 6 months. I'm in it for the long haul and for me grinding 3/6 - 6/12 B&M is better than any of the other online options at the moment. (I still do 30+ SNGs a week online)

What am I getting at? Play B&M for a while. You get less hands per hour which gives you a Hell of a lot more time to work on your game. Are you experiencing a "cold-run" or do you really just suck? Would you rather discover a major leak in 4000 B&M hands or in 24,000 4 tabling online hands?

I forgot what the OP was about already, must have been written badly. That explains my OT reply. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Onaflag..........

J. Sawyer
08-05-2005, 05:12 PM
uhm you ran really hot to start off...

now your cooling down.. even running bad maybe.

Read/post more.. bad streaks happen, possible one of best players on this forum was rumored to have a 60k+ hands break even streak.

I would really re-evaluate your game.. I dont know how many hands you played when you were winning but its well within the realm of possibility that you aren't infact a winner.

plus rebuying w/ $50 and $100 at time is just dumb.. which makes me wonder if in fact you truley are a winning player.. because even most breakeven players know the concept of a bankroll.. when it seems you do not.

post alot more, read more.. w/e

gl, jord