PDA

View Full Version : Double paired board - overpair HU

TheWorstPlayer
08-04-2005, 07:23 PM
Villain has only been at the table for a few orbits. Been a little loose preflop but I haven't noticed anything interesting postflop. How did I do so far (particularly the flop check) and what do I do on the river? Is there a value bet here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ TWP (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB ($67.85)
TWP ($99)
UTG ($127.95)
MP ($572.22)
CO ($63.45)
Button ($75.10)

Preflop: TWP is BB with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $1, CO calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) completes, <font color="#CC3333">TWP raises to $5</font>, MP folds, CO folds, SB calls $5.

Flop: ($14) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, TWP checks.

Turn: ($14) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">TWP bets $9</font>, SB calls $9.

River: ($32) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, TWP...?

Jazza
08-04-2005, 07:37 PM
i'd probably bet $10 on the flop, the check's not too bad though

the turn looks ok

i check the river, the chances that he just has A high an and he'll call with it are not enough to risk running into a J, a J looks possible for him here

Ghazban
08-04-2005, 07:40 PM
I bet the river. Your line could easily be a missed AK and I think you get a call of 1/2 to 2/3 pot on the river by any ace. If villain is aggro enough to checkraise a naked ace as well as hands you are beating, checking is probably better.

Slappz
08-04-2005, 07:41 PM
Im checking behind here, even though i think theres a good chance your ahead, I find it hard to get a value bet with that board.

What do u think that chances are that he is going to checkraise the river at this level?

Why did u check the flop?

-Skeme-
08-04-2005, 07:42 PM
I don't see him having a 9 unless it's Quads and I doubt a Jack plays it this passively. You fearing KK or AA?

djoyce003
08-04-2005, 07:56 PM
If you think villain will call with a worse hand here you bet, but if you don't, you check behind...it really boils down to your read. Not sure enough people call here with ace high to make this a good spot for a value bet.

Ghazban
08-04-2005, 08:40 PM
I think that, due to TWP's flop check, A-high and TT both call a high percentage of the time here. I guess it depends somewhat on his image, but I don't think TWP plays rockish enough for these hands to fold here.

DoomSlice
08-04-2005, 08:46 PM
Value bet.

wtfsvi
08-04-2005, 08:53 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
I don't see him having a 9 unless it's Quads

[/ QUOTE ] Why?

I think this river is a value bet though. It's kinda hard to lay down an ace if a LAG bets half pot here. With no reads on the matter, I think we'll just have to assume villain not good enough to check-raise bluff the river and value bet.

EDIT: By the way, when villain has only been at the table for a couple of orbits and I don't have any reads, I'm betting this flop every time. Why did you check twp?

GrunchCan
08-04-2005, 08:55 PM
I don't get the flop check. What does it accomplish?

Jazza
08-04-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

deception

TheWorstPlayer
08-04-2005, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

deception

[/ QUOTE ]
Deception and pot control. Someone quoted GiftOfGab on the MHNL forum recently in Diablo's post where he bet the flop OOP with an overpair on a JJT flop (or something like that, maybe someone can post a link). GoG apparently said something like "If the flop is paired and you only have one pair, try to play a small pot." This makes a lot of sense to me.

TheWorstPlayer
08-04-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Value bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
For all you people saying to value bet: how much do you bet and what do you do if he check/raises?

DoomSlice
08-05-2005, 12:00 AM
1/2-2/3 potish. Fold to checkraise.

TheWorstPlayer
08-05-2005, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1/2-2/3 potish. Fold to checkraise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cool. I bet half pot and he called with ace high. I really put him on a mid pocket pair putting me on ace high. I'm not sure if he was calling to split or if he really put me on KQ or KT or something.

In any case, I think this should be an easy value bet once he only check calls the turn. Anyone with a nine would have led either the flop or the turn and anyone with a jack would either lead the turn or check/raise it. I'm probably certain enough of those facts in this game that I would call a bet on the river (although that would be a good line for him with a nine or jack). But once he checks the river, I am doubly certain that I am ahead. I am so certain in fact that I would be very tempted to call a check/raise. In general, though, these guys are so passive that I think I get check/raised here just about never. The only thing I considered on the river was pushing. Does anyone think that is a viable option here?

beset7
08-05-2005, 12:48 AM
Given your read (or lack thereof) at these stakes and the check/call on the turn it looks like a good 1/2 pot vb for me.

Against tricky players or very aggressive players I"m checking behind. Play a few hands today where my ulcer would have remained it's normal size had I just checked behind.