PDA

View Full Version : AK in position, should I fold?

muckyouraces
08-04-2005, 05:42 PM
it's $5-10NL. it's a 10 handed game. everyone with about $1k
I have AK on the button. One player limps, I make it $35 to go. BB calls and the limper calls. the flop comes A 6 2 rainbow. it's checked to me. I bet $75. the BB calls, the other player folds. the turn is a 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif making a flush draw out there. the BB checks and I bet $150 and he calls. The river is a 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif and the BB bets $300(about 1/2 the pot). Should I fold or call? Should I have played this any differently up to that point?

Richie Rich
08-04-2005, 05:43 PM
In this scenario, I typically overbet the pot on the flop.

BobboFitos
08-04-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In this scenario, I typically overbet the pot on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

why would you ever overbet this flop?

this is the last flop w/ AK i'd overbet

Post-Oak
08-04-2005, 05:53 PM
You have to call. You are getting 3 to on your money.

You could have checked the turn if you wanted to keep the pot small. Don't worry so much about a runner runner flush draw.

Usually I would check that turn.

Richie Rich
08-04-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
To avoid getting milked with TPTK. While every NL situation is player dependant, not many "reasonable" players will check-call an oversized pot bet on a drawless flop with a marginal hand.

Richie Rich
08-04-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Post-Oak
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
To avoid getting milked with TPTK. While every NL situation is player dependant, not many "reasonable" players will check-call an oversized pot bet on a drawless flop with a marginal hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but how many reasonable players would call a 3/4 pot bet with no draw and a marginal hand? There is no reason to overbet the pot.

technologic
wtf is this reasoning...basically you get nothing out of them when you are ahead, and lose a lot more when you're behind? this is terrible advice...

BobboFitos
08-04-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, so an overbet runs you into the two pair and set hands, and you fold all weaker aces.

the marginal hands are the only hands you're beating which can call a flop bet, so you really dont want them to fold. *you want them to call incorrectly (esp because the marginal hands, such as weaker aces, middle pair, under pairs, have 2 to 5 outs)

this is where I'd half pot the flop, pot control turn, call or bet myself on river... maximize value vs weaker aces and minimize vs two pair / sets...

Big_Jim
08-04-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
not many "reasonable" players will check-call an oversized pot bet on a drawless flop with a marginal hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't people with marginal hands exactly the people that we want in the pot?

technologic
08-04-2005, 06:03 PM
hey mya,

imo, you should've raised more pf. you've pretty much guranateed 3 handed, as that pf raise is not charging people out of position to play with you. make it 50 to go.

the flop, i make it something a bit closer to pot, maybe 90ish or so, but that's not a big deal.

turn played fine imo, i don't like these weak pot control ideas when you're in position and you've got a hand that's ahead of a LOT.

river, i'd just call. if he's got a 6, well, just remember to charge him more next time pf when you have a powerhouse. if you pf raise to 50, then bet 125-150 on the flop, he's probably not going to want to mess with a hand that contains a 6 in it, unless he has quads.

creedofhubris
08-04-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have to call. You are getting 3 to on your money.

You could have checked the turn if you wanted to keep the pot small. Don't worry so much about a runner runner flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sage advice. Checking the turn on a drawless board like this limits your losses when you're behind and makes it more likely for an opponent holding a crap hand like TT to call your river bet.

Also, your preflop raise is a little small.

technologic
08-04-2005, 06:08 PM
is it really that big of a mistake to bet the turn here? i feel like an AQ/AJ hand would call a value bet here plenty of times to justify a bet in this spot.

but then again, they may be more likely to call a river bet if you do check behind...hmmm

Bosox
08-04-2005, 06:10 PM
you call and he turns over A2s and you wrinkle your nose in disgust and wish you'd raised more preflop.

lapoker17
08-04-2005, 06:26 PM
More of a read thing, as there are times I will bet that turn, but if we're going just by "what is generally right", it's checking behind.

Richie Rich
08-04-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wtf is this reasoning...basically you get nothing out of them when you are ahead, and lose a lot more when you're behind? this is terrible advice...

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, depends upon how you play TPTK. I see too many players bet the pot on the flop, and then make a continuation bet on turn only to get raised/cr'd with a decision to make. I see A LOT of money being lost that way.

Believe it or not, but overbetting the pot on the flop (say $150 into a $120 pot) on drawless flops actually saves & makes money for me in the long run. Tighties are easy to read for sets, and the LAGs think their AQ/AJ/A-x is good against what-seems-to-be your premium pair. What does a 3/4 bet on the flop do for you when villain check-calls? Do you have any idea where you're at?

Everyone has their own strategy, and this is mine. I use it in certain situations, but certainly not all. Always player dependent. If your strategy has been working for you, then great! Keep it up. Because mine has too.

technologic
08-04-2005, 06:40 PM
this strategy only makes sense if you have been overbetting a lot of pots and people generally view you as LAG

PGarlic
08-04-2005, 06:55 PM
I kind of agree with techno. Richie, are all of your continuation bets after a preflop raise an oversized pot bet? How would you bet, say, an overpair or overcards?

Richie Rich
08-04-2005, 07:22 PM
From an earlier post in this thread...
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone has their own strategy, and this is mine. I use it in certain situations, but certainly not all. Always player dependent. If your strategy has been working for you, then great! Keep it up. Because mine has too.

[/ QUOTE ]