PDA

View Full Version : Intelligence and Two Types of People

TomCollins
08-04-2005, 04:57 PM
Sklansky has made references to this before, but I deal with it on a daily basis.

Many people that come across as very intelligent are simply very good memorizers. They have a great deal of trouble figuring out anything new or deriving new information from old. These types tend to do very well in many academic settings.

True intelligence comes from the ability to deduce new information from axioms or very basic parts.

The educational system today puts far too much relevence on memorizing, and not enough on problem solving and independent thought. People study my memorizing everything. If the test comes, and any small part is different, most of these memorizers will fail miserably.

Zygote
08-04-2005, 05:06 PM
the funniest part about it is that memory decays fairly quickly. give a group of students a test and then re-test all the students who passed a week to a month later and you'll be amazed by how poor the results are.

Darryl_P
08-04-2005, 06:33 PM
The worst part of it is that 90% of these memorizing types will spend their entire lives in blind submission to the system without ever thinking about what it might be like to be autonomous.

The system rewards them for their docility and obedience with scooby snacks in the form of a steady, cushy job and/or a tenure. Wherever their master points their nose they just follow along and say (in a scooby doo voice) "Okay Shaggy".

It's pretty depressing to be considered part of the same species as these people but my hat goes off to the master manipulators who get these drones to work towards their goals.

Spaded
08-05-2005, 03:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's pretty depressing to be considered part of the same species as these people but my hat goes off to the master manipulators who get these drones to work towards their goals.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://members.cox.net/nh777/applewhite.jpg

oneeye13
08-05-2005, 05:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
spend their entire lives in blind submission to the system

[/ QUOTE ]

seems like this will eventually lead them to rage against the machine

08-05-2005, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
spend their entire lives in blind submission to the system

[/ QUOTE ]

seems like this will eventually lead them to rage against the machine

[/ QUOTE ]

Rage was a great band.

Yes I know my enemies
They're the teachers who taught me to fight me
Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission
Ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-05-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sklansky has made references to this before, but I deal with it on a daily basis.

Many people that come across as very intelligent are simply very good memorizers. They have a great deal of trouble figuring out anything new or deriving new information from old. These types tend to do very well in many academic settings.

True intelligence comes from the ability to deduce new information from axioms or very basic parts.

The educational system today puts far too much relevence on memorizing, and not enough on problem solving and independent thought. People study my memorizing everything. If the test comes, and any small part is different, most of these memorizers will fail miserably.

[/ QUOTE ]
I couldn't agree more.

bobman0330
08-05-2005, 12:16 PM
In my experience, people who denigrate memorization frequently lack both the ability to memorize and "true" intelligence. I've generally seen that the two types of intelligence are highly correlated. The reason schools focus on memorizational ability is that it's far easier to test for.

Max Raker
08-07-2005, 07:32 AM
True, traditional education values memory, but you miss the point. There are many times when you want somebody who can remember everthing but has no capacity for original thought. (Doctors, car mechanics, and probably staking a poker player)