PDA

View Full Version : Last Hand in 4/8 Home Game

maniacfrenchman
03-14-2003, 02:48 PM
I'm a beginner player who has been reading 2+2 regularly but never posted before. I'd appreciate any of your comments on my play here. I'll post the results and my thinking later.

Thanks.

Last hand of the night in a 4-8 home game:

Before the flop with A6s, EP tight player limps, 1 fold, I call, next player calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Cut-off calls (calling station and generally bad player), Button raises (maniac who turns into a calling station on the flop) SB calls, BB calls (tight player), EP calls, I call, next player calls, MP1 (good player, who will bluff) three-bets, MP2 folds, Cut-off calls, Button caps it, SB, BB and EP fold, I call, next-player folds, MP1 calls, Cut-off calls. Four to see the flop. (12 big bets at this point)

Flop: Ad, 9s, 4c

I bet out, MP1 raises, Cut-off calls, Button calls, I call (now 16 big bets in the pot)

Turn: Flop: Ad, 9s, 4c [Qc]

Check to MP1, he bets, Cut-off calls, Button folds, I call.

River: Flop: Ad, 9s, 4c, Qc [6d]

I bet, MP1 calls, Cut-off calls

travisand
03-14-2003, 03:09 PM
If the game is generally this aggressive I would throw my hand away before the flop. This is not a hand that you would regularly want to play for 4 bets preflop.

As far as the rest of the hand, I think you played it well given that the pot is so large it becomes very difficult to fold, although I think you were way behind until the river.

lil'
03-15-2003, 12:59 AM
Preflop -
If you know the game is loose and you know numerous people will limp every hand you can play this, but it sounds like in this game pots will get raised with that maniac around, so you should fold in early position. The worst then happens when you find yourself calling 4 bets with A-6s. You can only hope for a flop with two sixes, two aces, one of each or two spades.

Flop -
You flopped one pair with a bad kicker and one of your suit. You are likely behind and drawing, but drawing to what? An ace might trap you in the hand for big money to someone with a better kicker. You need runner-runner spades, or a six may give you the best hand with two pair. Since the pot is so huge it seems OK to peel one off here and pray for a miracle, but I wouldn't bet. You are going to be raised for sure, ensuring that you will pay even more to see a a very thin drawing hand. I would check, let someone else raise it and fold.