PDA

View Full Version : Why does it happen?

08-04-2005, 02:56 PM
I have played the same this week no different to any other day I normally enter tournaments and do well. I haven't been playing long only 6 months so novice but good player.

So why I'm I on my 3rd straight day of not getting a hand in any game. Heads up two tourneys knocked out 122 and 114 only 128 enter?

Thats what makes me think the skill V luck factor in no limit texas hold em is skill 40% luck 60% This is not off the top of my head I think its true. What do you think?

lazystudent

TheBlueMonster
08-04-2005, 03:02 PM
Quite frankly you're wrong in your assumption. It's true that being dealt hands helps in poker, but you could go for long periods of time without being dealt anything better than pocket 9s. As you play longer you'll learn that while your hand is important, your understanding of position and betting patterns etc. is even more important.

08-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the input. However, its got to be down to the cards (60%) its ok bluffing but so many people just call anyway.

Position the person and all the other strategy doesn't work if you don't get the cards.

TheBlueMonster
08-05-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Position the person and all the other strategy doesn't work if you don't get the cards.

[/ QUOTE ]
what game are you playing? If you're playing low stakes limit of course you're not going to get away with much bluffing. But with PL or NL you shold be able to pick up quite a few pots without hands.

08-05-2005, 12:29 PM
No Limit Texas Hold em

Yeah, I get away with bluffing in heads up games I need to transfer this to the tournaments.

I suppose the longer I practise the better and easier it will come. Although playing heads up earlier I had 8's full of 9's two 9's on board when I called he had 4 x 9's two in the hole I don't suppose you can do anything about those situations.

Thanks for your comments.

lazystudent

08-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Please don't call me for minor injuries. My time is just too important to waste.