PDA

View Full Version : Should i gamble here?

08-04-2005, 02:56 PM
I dont remember the exact details but there were about 120 players left in a 375 player tourny, and i had about 6000 which was around average.

It was folded to me in middle position and i had AQo

The blinds were 100-200 so i raised it to 600

It was folded to the button who went all in for 2,500

I didnt really have any reads on anybody at the table because i just sat down so i folded

At the time i thought it was a good fold, but now im starting to think maybe i should have called

Did i wuss out or was it the right fold given the circumstances?

beetyjoose
08-04-2005, 03:06 PM
I don't mind this fold. These are usually the hands that make or break you over the course of a MTT. If you call, you're pretty much hoping he has JJ and you have a coinflip. Anything else you're dominated.

Getting away from that only losing 600 is not that bad. If you had some great read on him, maybe you can call here. But i think you showed good restraint.

jcm4ccc
08-04-2005, 03:12 PM
If you were on the button, I would call. However, you were in MP, you made a significant raise, and the BB still came over the top of you for all his chips when the BB is not in a desperate situation. Barrring a read, you have to assume he has a much better hand than you.

transmitt
08-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Your getting 1.8:1 on your money, I probably want to be a little over 2:1, somewhere around 2.25:1, given I think 60% of the time you are flipping a coin against JJ-XX depending on his range and 30% of the time you are in trouble w/ QQ-AA or most likely AK. Don't mind the fold here.

McMelchior
08-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Would be nice to know if you were in an online or B&M tourney, what the buy-in was, and how the general level of play looked.

Assuming this is either a (non-Californian) B&M or medium to higher level buy-in online tourney I'd say, that since the button is low stacked but not desparate and he has no reads on you either his range is probably AQ or better, JJ or better. JJ might be a strech here.

Since you hold AQ this range gives him a total of 39 combos; my estimate (I don't have Pokerstove here in front of me) gives you 34% equity in the t5,300 pot or roughly t1,800, for which you have to contribute t1,900.

If we remove JJ from the range it's even more expensive for you to call.

So - based on the somewhat rudementary information you supply - it seems like a clear fold.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)

RiverDood
08-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Given that the button is shortstacked, I'd put him on a much bigger range of hands. Any PP down to 77 is possible. Any A/Broadway is possible. KQ and KJs are not totally out of the question. Another orbit or two and he's going to lose his folding equity -- so if he wants to frighten people with a push, this is probably his best chance.

Have you been raising 3BB consistently? Showing down anything notable? Folding to re-raises? It's always possible that he reads a 3BB raise as tentative and wants to see if he can push you off your hand.

Overall, I think it's a close decision. Even on a wide range of hands for Villain, you're probably a slight dog at this point, with hand equity is somewhere in the low-to mid 40s%. But pot odds probably warrant a call regardless. You're being asked to put up 1900 for a shot at a 5300 pot, which is less than 40% of the money going forward.

Besides, even if you get beat, you aren't dead yet. And if you win, you've got appreciably more firepower.

I'd lean toward playing it.