PDA

View Full Version : Play Ax off in 6-max mid-NL?

Marlow
08-04-2005, 02:08 PM
I've had a rule for a while that I should just about never play Ax off in almost any position under any circumstances (6 max). I suppose the 2 exceptions would be on the button or SB with passive players in the blinds (but hell, I'm raising with any 2 anyway).

Don't know why, but some doubt crept into my mind this afternoon at lunch. Am I somehow missing out on some +EV situations?

Marlow

AZK
08-04-2005, 02:23 PM
probably.

Marlow
08-04-2005, 02:33 PM
I realize that this is pretty rudimentary. I'm a naturally tight player trying to open up my game a little. I don't want to do it in a way that will bankrupt me.

Any advice appreciated.

captZEEbo1
08-04-2005, 02:34 PM
I never play it unless I can open raise with it from CO or button (I assume Ax means A9 or less, right?). The biggest problem with raising Ax in my opinion though is that you will never get paid off (barring two pair) if you hit the flop, or you will be dominated (by someone calling a pfr with AT+) and you'll have to pay them off.

thabadguy
08-04-2005, 02:36 PM
soooooted? yes..un soooted maybe yes maybe no.

AZK
08-04-2005, 02:36 PM
It's all player/game dependent. That is the beauty of NL. Obviously you probably don't want to call a raise with them, but I raise with them a decent amount if the table is playing tight.

Edit: It's easier to play them if you only play 1 table/know your opponents. I wouldn't play them EVER if I was playing 4 tables.

Marlow
08-04-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I never play it unless I can open raise with it from CO or button (I assume Ax, means A9 or less, right?). The biggest problem with raising Ax in my opinion though is that you will never get paid off (barring two pair) if you hit the flop, or you will be dominated (by someone calling a pfr with AT+) and you'll have to pay them off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Ax=A9 or less.

creedofhubris
08-04-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've had a rule for a while that I should just about never play Ax off in almost any position under any circumstances (6 max). I suppose the 2 exceptions would be on the button or SB with passive players in the blinds (but hell, I'm raising with any 2 anyway).

Don't know why, but some doubt crept into my mind this afternoon at lunch. Am I somehow missing out on some +EV situations?

Marlow

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're gonna play them, play them in position and come in for a raise preflop; same advice as for any trash hand.

I don't think you're losing much, if anything, by tossing them.

RikaKazak
08-04-2005, 03:48 PM
I say toss em, if you want to open up your game, do it with 5,6s etc. Axo just puts you into many tricky situations, but yes, if in position etc. it's not a bad play.