PDA

View Full Version : Straight pool

codewarrior
08-04-2005, 01:13 PM
The game of champions. I've set a goal of a run of 30 balls by September 1st. My previous (witnessed) high run was 17. I've just started playing regulary again after a 1-1/2 years off. I've had a 14 ball run in each of my last two games.

Anyone else play them some straights? Or one-pocket?

Soul Daddy
08-04-2005, 01:15 PM
It's makes for a great drinking game.

Slow Play Ray
08-04-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The game of champions. I've set a goal of a run of 30 balls by September 1st. My previous (witnessed) high run was 17. I've just started playing regulary again after a 1-1/2 years off. I've had a 14 ball run in each of my last two games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, the good old buck-a-ball days before everyone wanted to play p*ker instead...

As soon as I get around to buying a house, I guarantee I will buy a nice pool table before a single other piece of furniture. I miss playing.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-04-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guarantee I will buy a nice pool table before a single other piece of furniture.

[/ QUOTE ]
Before a sex chair, even?

asofel
08-04-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know we've talked about one-pocket before, and I'd still say you could kick my ass at it /images/graemlins/wink.gif I've got a friend that would give you some action if you're ever in VA tho...

I'm no good at straight, but definitely enjoy it. I can never seem to leave a good breakout though...its definitely a great game...

How about billiards? I had an old timer show me the break the other day, and after he tried it 4 or 5 times, i took a try and hit it on my second attempt. I think I could really get into that game...

Unfortuantely there aren't many billiards tables in the area...and the one place that has them is kinda shady...although i WAS gambling there at 5:00am one morning in a typical white guy pants/button down combo, and i lived...so who knows /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Slow Play Ray
08-04-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guarantee I will buy a nice pool table before a single other piece of furniture.

[/ QUOTE ]
Before a sex chair, even?

[/ QUOTE ]

Before a sex chair, even...

codewarrior
08-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Pool is a brotherhood, kinda like poker. No one cares what you wear, or what color you are when you play, or even what stick you shoot with (unless you're an insufferable nit), as long as the money in your pocket is green.

mosta
08-04-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love straight. my high run is something in the thirties I think, not forty I don't think--I hvae my good days but I'm not good because they're not frequent enough, and even then I'm not all that good. but running through two breaks, that's when you've tasted what it really means to play pool. I need to get a table. or find someplace to play in New Orleans. there seems to be a place on tchoupitoulas but I haven't looked to see if it's good.

mosta
08-04-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why? it's such a difficult game, and slow...

TripleH68
08-04-2005, 01:40 PM
How about billiards? I had an old timer show me the break the other day, and after he tried it 4 or 5 times, i took a try and hit it on my second attempt. I think I could really get into that game...

Billiards is an incredible game.
Finding someone willing to play against you is difficult.

asofel
08-04-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pool is a brotherhood, kinda like poker. No one cares what you wear, or what color you are when you play, or even what stick you shoot with (unless you're an insufferable nit), as long as the money in your pocket is green.

[/ QUOTE ]

very true...i wish i could play with better skilled players more often, but the league i play in now is mostly for fun...and i'm tired of the seriousness of APA...although we ARE going to vegas in a few weeks for nationals on their tab /images/graemlins/wink.gif

mosta
08-04-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I fooled around on a billiards table at hollywood on market in SF a few times. it was fun. it's not quite as hard as you expect, but it's still damned hard. but to make it more enjoyable at first, you can play 1 cushion instead of 3 cushion, or even straight rail (no cushion necessary). if you actually get good, straight rail becomes a very different game, where you learn to "nurse" the balls, never having them move more than a fraction of an inch and making huge runs. but if you're curious about billiards I highly recommend two videos from accustats (http://www.accu-stats.com/): semih sayginer's artisitic billiards exhibition (3-cush trick shots with masse's and various incredible astounding things) and blomdahl v. ceulemans 1996 which is considered the greatest 3-cushion performance (avg 4/inning) ever (unless probably blomdahl's topped himself...).

asofel
08-04-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I fooled around on a billiards table at hollywood on market in SF a few times. it was fun. it's not quite as hard as you expect, but it's still damned hard. but to make it more enjoyable at first, you can play 1 cushion instead of 3 cushion, or even straight rail (no cushion necessary). if you actually get good, straight rail becomes a very different game, where you learn to "nurse" the balls, never having them move more than a fraction of an inch and making huge runs. but if you're curious about billiards I highly recommend two videos from accustats (http://www.accu-stats.com/): semi sayginers artisitic billiards exhibition (3-cush trick shots with masse's and various incredible astounding things) and blomdahl v. ceulemans 1996 which is considered the greatest 3-cushion performance (avg 4/inning) ever (unless probably blomdahl's topped himself...).

[/ QUOTE ]

semih is ridiculous...i saw a clip on the web...the masse which bounces back and forth in the corner about 8 times? crazy....i might have see some of blomdahl's match as well, i definitely know both names....if it was more accessible i'd certainly try it out....

Jersey Nick
08-04-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Billiards is an incredible game.
Finding someone willing to play against you is difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]
I used to love me some 3 cushion at Chris's Billiards in Chicago. Lots of old timers willing to teach you the ropes for table time. Some of the best 3 cushion talent in the world used to come through there. I miss Chicago...

High run 3 cushion - 7
High run straight - 52

Soul Daddy
08-04-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why? it's such a difficult game, and slow...

[/ QUOTE ]
Volume

codewarrior
08-04-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
very true...i wish i could play with better skilled players more often, but the league i play in now is mostly for fun...and i'm tired of the cheating & sandbagging of APA...although we ARE going to vegas in a few weeks for nationals on their tab /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost never do this, but.... FYP /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

codewarrior
08-04-2005, 02:08 PM
You know Pat Johnson of r.s.b. fame?

codewarrior
08-04-2005, 02:09 PM
I like billiards, but my wife has so much natural talent at it, I basically give up. A 3-point run is not uncommon for her.

asofel
08-04-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
very true...i wish i could play with better skilled players more often, but the league i play in now is mostly for fun...and i'm tired of the cheating & sandbagging of APA...although we ARE going to vegas in a few weeks for nationals on their tab /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost never do this, but.... FYP /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

very well done....fwiw, my team hasn't sandbagged at all....so, we're going to get destroyed /images/graemlins/smile.gif more time for po--um....other things.... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

mosta
08-04-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

semih is ridiculous...i saw a clip on the web...the masse which bounces back and forth in the corner about 8 times? crazy....i might have see some of blomdahl's match as well, i definitely know both names....if it was more accessible i'd certainly try it out....

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to put the tape in today. it's been a few years. the most astounding to me were the whipping stroke shots where he can hit with full power with the balls a quarter inch or less apart (without double hitting NB).

codewarrior
08-04-2005, 02:13 PM
Yeah, LOL. I'm a 2 in APA 9-ball. A... Two...

I'm an excellent safety player and kicker (thanks, one-pocket), but never have had a defensive shot marked down. I quit after four 8-ball seasons and 1 9-ball. And my league wasn't that bad when it came to sandbagging - I couldn't imagine how bad it can get.

asofel
08-04-2005, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to put the tape in today. it's been a few years. the most astounding to me were the whipping stroke shots where he can hit with full power with the balls a quarter inch or less apart (without double hitting NB).

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, the english and draw he gets is amazing. the balls going off one cushion, then another, thennnnnnnnnnnnnn back this way....i'd pay to see that in person anyday...

random aside: i did a trick shot with mike massey once...nicest guy and the shot involved us both shooting and making 6 balls, on one barbox table, all pockets used...we got it first try /images/graemlins/wink.gif

HDPM
08-04-2005, 02:14 PM
Yeah, like straight pool and billiards. Don't get to play billiards around here. I think the threshold in straight pool is 42 - 3 racks. I can't do it. I am trying to just be able to pick through one rack better and can do that more often than in the past. 30 measly balls is my high run on a gold crown. Next Derby City they are having an all offense straight pool competition. Break ball in hand, cue ball in hand, 3 chances for 50 in the prelims. 42 will get you like 1 chance in the final. 160 will get 3 or 4. Only your high run gets you chances. High run gets a prize. Will be interesting to see what the modern guys can do. Hohmann has run 400, so has schmidt. Somebody may uncork a ridiculous run even on the diamond tables. I hope accu-stats gets something good on video.

asofel
08-04-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, LOL. I'm a 2 in APA 9-ball. A... Two...

I'm an excellent safety player and kicker (thanks, one-pocket), but never have had a defensive shot marked down. I quit after four 8-ball seasons and 1 9-ball. And my league wasn't that bad when it came to sandbagging - I couldn't imagine how bad it can get.

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao, a 2?? how many do you normally run after a break? 9 balls not my game and i just recently started getting close to having break and run outs achievable....

codewarrior
08-04-2005, 02:17 PM
I'm a 4-6 ball runner, on average. If my break is on, and they're spread nicely, I'm better than even money to get out. My problem is long cuts requireing fancy position. I'm not a big fan of 9-ball, but ring games are the nuts, and it's a good warm up.

asofel
08-04-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a 4-6 ball runner, on average. If my break is on, and they're spread nicely, I'm better than even money to get out. My problem is long cuts requireing fancy position. I'm not a big fan of 9-ball, but ring games are the nuts, and it's a good warm up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'd guess i'm around the same....that's ridiculous to have that skill as a 2, hahahaha....

btw, i don't know if i've asked this before, but i don't suppose there's a digital copy of winning one pocket floating around? /images/graemlins/grin.gif I don't really want to drop $200 on it, but might eventually if that's my only option....

codewarrior
08-04-2005, 02:36 PM
this worked for me (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0962289035/002-0390040-4899215?v=glance)

but I also had a coach at one time.

asofel
08-04-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this worked for me (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0962289035/002-0390040-4899215?v=glance)

but I also had a coach at one time.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i've got it /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've also got robin's second book, Shots, Moves, and Strategies...I'd just really like to get my hands on the first volume and check it out...

mosta
08-04-2005, 02:53 PM
that sounds like fun. I used to play straight with an older guy in berkeley. he won the Illinois state college championship in the late 50s or early 60s. that got him an exhibition game against mosconi. he broke. mosconi ran 50 or 100, whatever it was, and out. then went into a trick shot exhibition. never said a word to him. my friend had nerve problems when I knew him so he usually couldn't run many. but he taught me some great tricks, like caroming the object ball off a full rack into the corner. but everyone else in the room played 9 or one-pocket (one pocket esp some old persian gamblers). I liked one-pocket okay, but I like to make shots, lots of them. gets frustrating.

HDPM
08-04-2005, 02:55 PM
I'm not much of a one pocket player but do have the upscale 1P book. Not bad. You guys need to get the new "Banking with the Beard" book by freddie bentivegna if you don't have it. Pretty good IMO. I have not worked my way through it and may have caught an error or two in the book, but my banking improved immediately after working on a couple of the things in there. He has some bank pool specfic stuff and some one pocket stuff. One diagram of a Bugs Rucker 1 pocket run out was sick.

asofel
08-04-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not much of a one pocket player but do have the upscale 1P book. Not bad. You guys need to get the new "Banking with the Beard" book by freddie bentivegna if you don't have it. Pretty good IMO. I have not worked my way through it and may have caught an error or two in the book, but my banking improved immediately after working on a couple of the things in there. He has some bank pool specfic stuff and some one pocket stuff. One diagram of a Bugs Rucker 1 pocket run out was sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've heard of that book actually...they're advertising it on onepocket.org i believe....

ah bugs....i can only imagine...the guy was amazing....

Jersey Nick
08-04-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You know Pat Johnson of r.s.b. fame?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope - haven't been to rsb for years. I used to knock 'em around once in a while with a guy name Gino who used to post a lot there (and got into a lot of flame wars). I met him back in the early 90s when he about 16 and he was Tommy Karabotsos's protege. Gino was a brilliant billiards player with lots of attitude.

cassette
08-04-2005, 03:34 PM
Anyone have book or website suggestions for a complete n00b starting out? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

codewarrior
08-04-2005, 03:37 PM
"Play your best pool" by Phil Capelle

Jersey Nick
08-04-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You guys need to get the new "Banking with the Beard" book by freddie bentivegna if you don't have it.

[/ QUOTE ] I will definitely have to pick that up. I used to love to sweat Freddie giving up monster weight to the young turks at the old Chicago Billiard Cafe. He was a character and a half. I never saw him play straight pool, but his 9 ball, bank game and one pocket were mighty fine.

As far as I'm concerned the old Cafe was the center of the pool & billiard universe in the 80s and early 90s.

mosta
08-04-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have book or website suggestions for a complete n00b starting out? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

robert byrne standard book of billiards. then buy his others. he's the top. (incidentally, anyone else besides me sense a certain resemblence between byrne and ray zee??).

Wad
08-04-2005, 03:52 PM
This thread is bringing back some memories for me. I started in pool and 3-cushion billirads when I was 13 years old. I was lucky enough to have a good teacher who was top dog in our area for about 30 years or so. Although his skills had declined some by time he started teaching me (he was in his mid fifties) he was extremely knowledgeable about the game. He died earlier this year and is missed by quite a few people.

I rarely had a summer job in my mid-teens since I could make enough to get by on shooting pool.

There weren't many straight pool shooters around but a group of us would occasionally pool some money and we would get three chances at the table, highest run would take all. Best I ever did was four straight racks, missing my break on the fifth rack.

I ended up being more of a 3-cushion billiard player as time passed with my two highest runs being 12 once and 10 twice. I only play a dozen times or so a year now but have managed a few runs of 9 recently.

codewarrior
08-04-2005, 03:58 PM
...I'm not worthy....

The poolroom has a greater collection of colorful characters than the card room - discuss.

asofel
08-04-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...I'm not worthy....

The poolroom has a greater collection of colorful characters than the card room - discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think that might deserve its own thread....i'm sure some will weigh in there that have skipped this one...

but if not, at first i said "easily"...thinking about it though, and reading some of doyle's old stories, i don't think its that easy. I think pool offers you a chance to do more...ie, play someone without your tip, play one handed, etc....and we've got Bucktooth /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ClaytonN
08-04-2005, 04:01 PM
My best at straight pool is 12. I've yet to run a 9-ball rack out though (ie no 9ball combos count). That pisses me off.

asofel
08-04-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My best at straight pool is 12. I've yet to run a 9-ball rack out though (ie no 9ball combos count). That pisses me off.

[/ QUOTE ]

keep working at it. I'm pretty good when compared with other amateurs, but never really played 9 ball, and only started recently being able to run out a rack of 9...the more you play the easier it'll come, trust me...

Phat Mack
08-04-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I fooled around on a billiards table at hollywood on market in SF a few times. it was fun. it's not quite as hard as you expect, but it's still damned hard. but to make it more enjoyable at first, you can play 1 cushion instead of 3 cushion, or even straight rail (no cushion necessary). if you actually get good, straight rail becomes a very different game, where you learn to "nurse" the balls, never having them move more than a fraction of an inch and making huge runs. but if you're curious about billiards I highly recommend two videos from accustats (http://www.accu-stats.com/): semih sayginer's artisitic billiards exhibition (3-cush trick shots with masse's and various incredible astounding things) and blomdahl v. ceulemans 1996 which is considered the greatest 3-cushion performance (avg 4/inning) ever (unless probably blomdahl's topped himself...).

[/ QUOTE ]

Get their Balkline tape. If you are a serious player, you'll be astounded. I've lent it to "A" pool players who have never been on a billiard table and had trouble getting it back. I've lent it to "B" players and it's come back the next day with about three minutes viewed on the un-rewound tape.

Wad
08-04-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to love me some 3 cushion at Chris's Billiards in Chicago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jersey Nick,

How many years ago did you play there? I have never been there but there was a guy who opened a pool hall in SE Minnesota in the early 80's who used to have a pool hall somewhere near/in Chicago called Bob's Billiards.

Also, did you ever have any experience with Ray Schuler? My cue was built by Ray around 1983 or 84. It's built to the specs of the billiard cue that Cuelemans used for years. I know Ray Schueler died a few years ago so I'm a little leery to send one of my shafts there for joint repair now.

Wad
08-04-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think that might deserve its own thread

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Great stories come out of pool halls.

HDPM
08-04-2005, 04:19 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to send your schuler in for repair. Their joints are the same as ever. You can also just order shafts from them with whatever taper you want. I have a cue from them and had an easy time ordering. Had a nice conversation w/ Mrs. Schuler BTW, she is still around. Not my favorite cue, but the company is around and you should have no trouble with a new shaft or three. I ordered mine after Ray died BTW FWIW

Phat Mack
08-04-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw Semi shoot this shot when he was in Vegas (99?). He executed it, then repeated it with golf balls. He also shot the full-table masse down the long rail with golf balls. Got about eight rails (the long rail eight times) before it came zipping back six diamonds for the count.

To me, the most astonishing thing on Semi's trick shot tape is when he gets eight or so balls going around the table at once. Try it some time.

Wad
08-04-2005, 04:22 PM
HDPM,

Thanks for the info, exactly what I was looking for. I spoke with someone there last year and they didn't sound too savvy so I wanted to be sure.

Phat Mack
08-04-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the threshold in straight pool is 42 - 3 racks. I can't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me neither, but I've always heard that getting into the fourth rack is the biggie.

Phat Mack
08-04-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
HDPM,

Thanks for the info, exactly what I was looking for. I spoke with someone there last year and they didn't sound too savvy so I wanted to be sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a feeling that you have the old metal-to-metal style (metal bands around both butt and shaft). You might want to mention that when you call. Is it made out of an old Titlist?

HDPM
08-04-2005, 04:37 PM
I should clarify maybe. If I had a cue made by Ray himself I'd treat it differently than a current production schuler. If the butt needed repair I would be more concerned than if I could just send a shaft in or order up some new shafts. If I liked the schuler hit and the shaft options and only wanted a playing cue, I'd get another one and leave the one made by ray in the case most of the time. I was comfortable dealing with them, but I think I can also see why you hesitated after speaking to one of their current guys. It reminded me I had a slight problem w/ one of them, but my overall experience was fine and I enjoyed talking to Mrs. Schuler.

HDPM
08-04-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
HDPM,

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a feeling that you have the old metal-to-metal style (metal bands around both butt and shaft). You might want to mention that when you call. Is it made out of an old Titlist?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I guess that would change things. I thought his joint was the same for all his cues.

Wad
08-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Yes, metal bands around both the butt and shaft at the joint. What the problem is is that the joint screw in the shaft loosened up over the years and eventually started working its way out every time I tightened the cue. The other shaft is OK but I would really like to get the one repaired.

Jersey Nick
08-04-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I used to love me some 3 cushion at Chris's Billiards in Chicago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jersey Nick,

How many years ago did you play there? I have never been there but there was a guy who opened a pool hall in SE Minnesota in the early 80's who used to have a pool hall somewhere near/in Chicago called Bob's Billiards.

Also, did you ever have any experience with Ray Schuler? My cue was built by Ray around 1983 or 84. It's built to the specs of the billiard cue that Cuelemans used for years. I know Ray Schueler died a few years ago so I'm a little leery to send one of my shafts there for joint repair now.

[/ QUOTE ]
I started playing at Chris's in 88 before they expanded the room but it wasn't my usual stop. I would only play there once or twice a month. My regular place to play was a burger joint with 10 gold crowns in Rogers park. It closed down not too long after I left in '95. Bob's sounds familiar, but I never played there.

Never met Ray but he sure made beautiful cues. I played with an antique Viking and an old Meucci. Good luck with the repairs. That must be one helluva stick.

Predator314
08-04-2005, 04:56 PM
I've been shooting for about 13 years (since i was 15). I've never really played much Straight Pool. But practicing one day, I was able to get an 81 ball run.

I witnessed a friend run somewhere around 160. Can't remember the exact #.

I have put together two 6 packs (run 6 tables in a row) and 1 time ran 7 in a row in a ring game.

I used to practice for hours every day and had aspirations of becoming a road man or a pro.

A couple things led me to change my thinking:

1.) I don't like pool players. Once you get to a certain level they are all coked up assholes.

2.) I burnt myself out. I wasn't a natural so I had to practice all the time.

3.) Tony Watson strolls in a pool hall about 7 or 8 years ago. He was trying to hustle up a game, but I knew who he was. I talked him into playing for $5/game (WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY below what he plays for these days). This man is on another level. No way I can touch these guys.

I had a "chemical" player tell me once that if he did an 8 ball of cocaine, he could spot God the 8 ball.

Phat Mack
08-04-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
HDPM,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I guess that would change things. I thought his joint was the same for all his cues.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the metal bands are more cosmetic than functional--they're not an integral part of the joint. He didn't make that style long.

It's nice to walk in a 3C room with an oldstyle metal-to-metal Schuler, however. It may even effect the prices, if anyone collects them. Here's my baby, cut out of an old Titlist in '82 to Cueleman specs.

http://homepage.mac.com/amanjyaku/Picture/titlist30.jpg

Wad
08-04-2005, 05:06 PM
That looks almost identical to mine except I have a leather wrap. I think my joints are more of a brass color too. If I have a chance I'll post some pictures later tonight.

HDPM
08-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Since it's just a shaft I wouldn't panic. I might worry about sending the nice titleist butt in though. I would get you a regular current model schuler and save the old one.

Phat Mack
08-04-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think my joints are more of a brass color too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen the original Ceuleman cue and it had brass-colored joints, and, I believe, a leather wrap. You've got a treasure.

Wad
08-04-2005, 05:15 PM
Man, you're making me feel like I should never shoot with this thing again! /images/graemlins/blush.gif

I don't play very seriously anymore, just on a mixed couples pool league in the winter and on occasional game of 3-cushion. Maybe I should consider a new one and put the original one away.

Phat Mack
08-04-2005, 05:24 PM
I play with mine every chance I get, which isn't nearly as often as I'd like. I think their real beauty is in their funcionality, not as their potential to be museum pieces. If it hits sweet, play with it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

HDPM
08-04-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I play with mine every chance I get, which isn't nearly as often as I'd like. I think their real beauty is in their funcionality, not as their potential to be museum pieces. If it hits sweet, play with it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree with you and don't believe much in collectors cues. But I don't have a cue made by a dead cuemaker at least yet. I commend you for playing with yours, but might hesitate if it were mine, as much as I think cues are meant to be played with. I suppose I would play with it some, but I would hate having to ship it all around and stuff.

I am going to buy a scruggs BTW. He keeps threatening to slow down and not make as many cues. But I intend to play w/ it. I love cues. Wish I could use one effectively. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

MHarris
08-04-2005, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, like straight pool and billiards. Don't get to play billiards around here. I think the threshold in straight pool is 42 - 3 racks. I can't do it. I am trying to just be able to pick through one rack better and can do that more often than in the past. 30 measly balls is my high run on a gold crown. Next Derby City they are having an all offense straight pool competition. Break ball in hand, cue ball in hand, 3 chances for 50 in the prelims. 42 will get you like 1 chance in the final. 160 will get 3 or 4. Only your high run gets you chances. High run gets a prize. Will be interesting to see what the modern guys can do. Hohmann has run 400, so has schmidt. Somebody may uncork a ridiculous run even on the diamond tables. I hope accu-stats gets something good on video.

[/ QUOTE ]

Along with those two, I'd be really interested in seeing Earl, Efren, and Jose Garcia from Jersey in that. Although Earl and Efren don't play much 14.1, I've seen a 360 from Efren and hear that Earl's high run is in the low 400's. Jose is super-pure. He's been uncorking quite a few 300's lately.

Wad
08-05-2005, 12:30 PM
Here's a few pics of mine.

http://www.geocities.com/lkwad/cue1.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/lkwad/cue2.JPG

DOMIT
08-05-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love straight. my high run is something in the thirties I think, not forty I don't think--I hvae my good days but I'm not good because they're not frequent enough, and even then I'm not all that good. but running through two breaks, that's when you've tasted what it really means to play pool. I need to get a table. or find someplace to play in New Orleans. there seems to be a place on tchoupitoulas but I haven't looked to see if it's good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya there! I think my highest was 34...that's the number that's stuck in my head, anyway.. I was playing at a local hall. I remember that was a great day, feeling like I could really play /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Speaking of getting a table at your house.. I got one, then stopped playing! It was the weirdest thing. Course, didn't help that I hardly ever got anyone to come out to the house to play (we lived in the boonies /images/graemlins/tongue.gif ) .

Good luck with your goal. Just remember to always try to think ahead; but once you finish looking where you want the ball to go, concentrate on that first shot again. Position means nothing if you don't sink the ball! (Unless of course your trying to safe it and stick your opponent /images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Glenn

DOMIT
08-05-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I always liked the stuff by Robert Byrne
Robert Byrne searched on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/field-keywords=byrne%20pool&index=blended/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_sc1/103-3214592-2896608)

I would have give specific titles... but I've let ppl "borrow" my books, and they're mine no longer /images/graemlins/mad.gif

My fav book from him was actually
Byrne's Book of Great Pool Stories

Phat Mack
08-05-2005, 02:41 PM
Nice pics. In the bottom one, you can see the wood-to-wood connection that makes me love these cues.

Phat Mack
08-05-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to mention that these games go well together. Playing straights teaches one to "work the stack" by breaking out balls--an essential for run-outs in one pocket. I'll never be a straight pool player, but I can't count the times that I thought I had a straights player locked up playing one pocket, only to have him see a weird combo, break one out of the rack and run out.