PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with Daniel Negreanu?

Eegs
08-04-2005, 12:58 PM
It seems like Daniel has really fallen off. I mean, he IS famous because he is a poker player but I keep on hearing a lot more about his shopping sprees and his dog 'Mushu' than his play.
He had a pretty dismal wsop and has just had a pretty crappy year in 2005 in general. I'm guessing he plays poker for a couple hours a week nowadays. Has he gotten too comfortable? Is he gonna be like Phil Hellmuth, finding ways other than poker skill to garner attention from the TV cameras.
I almost never hear about him working on his game. I guess the only thing that comes close ar ehis challenge matches but those are meant more for show anyway. Anybody have similar thoughts?

zuluking
08-04-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
had a pretty crappy year in 2005 in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

This qualifies as dumbest statement of the year.

GrannyMae
08-04-2005, 01:03 PM
those are meant more for show anyway

they may be meant for show, but there is up to $500k riding on some of them. that's serious money.

he made this challenge and people are taking him up on it. therefore, he likely may not enter as many tourneys this year and consequently may not be in the news as much. it does not mean he is having a bad year.

he had a crappy wsop, but most of the pros did not do much better (with a few exceptions)

Eegs
08-04-2005, 01:03 PM
why? He hasnt done anything this year

sekrah
08-04-2005, 01:14 PM
I guess two WPT final tables don't count.

It's certaintly more than the number of final tables, you, I, and millions of other poker players will ever see.

Kevmath
08-04-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to say something so stupid, at least try and do some research (http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=181) before you shoot your mouth off.

Kevin...

Eegs
08-04-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to say something so stupid, at least try and do some research (http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=181) before you shoot your mouth off.

Kevin...

[/ QUOTE ]

why are you so defensive to him? lets go over what you just linked
03-Jul-05 $ 3,000 Limit Hold'em
36th World Series of Poker (WSOP) 2005, Las Vegas 22nd $ 6,725
11-Jun-05 $ 2,000 Limit Hold'em
36th World Series of Poker (WSOP) 2005, Las Vegas 36th $ 3,665
25-Feb-05 Professional Poker Tournament
2005 L.A. Poker Classic, Los Angeles 3rd $ 60,000
24-Jan-05 $ 10,000 World Poker Open Championship Event - No Limit Hold'em
The Sixth Annual Jack Binion World Poker Open, Tunica 3rd $ 384,322
05-Jan-05 $ 7,800 WPT Main Event - No Limit Hold'em
2005 PokerStars Caribbean Adventure, Paradise Island 75th $ 11,600

he made a little over 10k in the entire WSOP. he had one 300k+ finish and his next highest was $60k. He has made about $465,000 in tourney winnings. Around the same time last year he had over 1.5 million in winnings not to mention his two WPT wins that would come later in sept. and dec.

Dick Danger
08-04-2005, 01:36 PM
My life would be so much better if all I had to worry about was the state of Daniel Negreanu's game.

capone0
08-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Eegs you can't repeat performances. Look at all the past champions. Yes they've done well but last year David was player of the year (I believe), a repeat performance of last year is almost impossible. Winning tournaments is about skill but there's also a lot of luck involved or of course Hellmuth would win them all. Maybe he didn't have a repeat performance of last year, but he's still doing alright. He's won 465k in tournies and probally a load in the big cash games on top of him being up 600k in the HU matches. Look at others who have struggled (Seidel until this year), look at others who are inconsistant (Hellmuth won his first big tourney in a while this year (HU Championship). Consistantcy in Tournaments just is very hard.

Eegs
08-04-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Eegs you can't repeat performances. Look at all the past champions. Yes they've done well but last year David was player of the year (I believe), a repeat performance of last year is almost impossible. Winning tournaments is about skill but there's also a lot of luck involved or of course Hellmuth would win them all. Maybe he didn't have a repeat performance of last year, but he's still doing alright. He's won 465k in tournies and probally a load in the big cash games on top of him being up 600k in the HU matches. Look at others who have struggled (Seidel until this year), look at others who are inconsistant (Hellmuth won his first big tourney in a while this year (HU Championship). Consistantcy in Tournaments just is very hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok I agree with this but the observation I was trying to get across was that it seems like DAniel is spending less time focusing on his game and I just wondered if some other people had noticed it or maybe Im wrong.

TomCollins
08-04-2005, 02:33 PM
That dropoff is nothing. By this time last year, Greg Raymer had won $5,000,000. This year, he's only won $600,000. That's 4.4 MILLION.

Obviously Greg Raymer is the one we need to worry about. What's going on Greg?

codewarrior
08-04-2005, 02:42 PM
C'mon. After all, it's coming from a guy who started a thread "Where's the worst place to get a boner?" /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

TomCollins
08-04-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
C'mon. After all, it's coming from a guy who started a thread "Where's the worst place to get a boner?" /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And you didn't provide a link, shame on you.

Rushmore
08-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Not to pile on or anything, but this is goofy.

The thread should be renamed "Metrosexual Daniel and his Wittle Pookie Wookie Mushu," and moved to the Gossip Forum.

benfranklin
08-04-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is, of course, based on your personal audit of his financial records?

-Skeme-
08-04-2005, 03:35 PM
A top player has a downswing and all of a sudden he's fallen off. Bad runs happen, Eegs.

revots33
08-04-2005, 03:45 PM
Daniel is awesome, one of my favorite players - but he did sound very whiny in this month's CardPlayer blaming his loss on the 90-second clock. I'm sorry but I don't believe a few more minutes would have magically gotten him a tell on Lindgren. He is good for the game and I like him but that article sounded like sour grapes.

yellowjack
08-04-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A top player has a downswing and all of a sudden he's fallen off. Bad runs happen, Eegs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. There's something called variance...

jedi
08-04-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kevin...

[/ QUOTE ]

he made a little over 10k in the entire WSOP. he had one 300k+ finish and his next highest was $60k. He has made about $465,000 in tourney winnings. Around the same time last year he had over 1.5 million in winnings not to mention his two WPT wins that would come later in sept. and dec.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that isn't doing anything this year, I'd like to not to anything.

capone0
08-04-2005, 03:59 PM
variance, it's not like he's going broke. as others were saying, I guess 2 final tables aren't enough for some people.

TransientR
08-04-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Daniel is awesome, one of my favorite players - but he did sound very whiny in this month's CardPlayer blaming his loss on the 90-second clock. I'm sorry but I don't believe a few more minutes would have magically gotten him a tell on Lindgren. He is good for the game and I like him but that article sounded like sour grapes.

[/ QUOTE ]

The great majority of poker players can't help but whine when the cards are kicking em in the ass. Daniel is just showing he is not immune to the syndrome.

Any one who plays a lot knows that when the bad beats start swarming like locusts, it is hard not to feel cursed by the poker gods /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Frank

Rushmore
08-04-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
variance, it's not like he's going broke. as others were saying, I guess 2 final tables aren't enough for some people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about it--if I had two WPT FT's this year in limited entries, I'd have a hard time not thinking I had the damned game all figured out.

Eegs
08-04-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And you didn't provide a link, shame on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3052664&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14

08-04-2005, 06:22 PM
I can see what you are saying somewhat. Last year, he was WSOP player of the year and Cardplayer player of the year. This year he made 0 WSOP final tables and only cashed like 2-3 times. But so what, he's making money doing STACKED and I'm sure Wynn is paying him a good amount to be their poker ambassador so he's not hurting.

DesertCat
08-04-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was having a year this bad I'd shoot myself ...

... full of heroin! Then I'd run around and shout "I'm rich, biatch!"

TimTimSalabim
08-04-2005, 09:09 PM
Variance is a bitch.

Edge34
08-05-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could have a downswing like everybody's saying Negreanu is having...

He didn't make a ton of money in the WSOP this year...but he's won over 400 grand just in tournies, not even counting his cash play. Plus, look at those tourney finishes, he still went pretty deep in them, things like 36th aren't bad when fields just keep getting bigger and bigger.

BarronVangorToth
08-05-2005, 09:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I wish I could have a downswing like everybody's saying Negreanu is having...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's sort of like when the Yankees don't win the World Series EVERY year - the dynasty is dying!

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

el kang
08-05-2005, 02:47 PM
obviously, DN is not having the same kind of year as last. But, who could?? I guess Tuan Lee is pretty close.

Meanwhile, almost any player would kill to have Daniel's "bad year". He's still up +$213K with a profit of $4.1K/tournament for 2005. And this is outside of his bread and butter cash games - his regular hourly is around $4K (just 80 hrs of play) and with the challenges running well he's over $7K I believe. C'mon! Can you seriously imagine that kind of win rate and complain?

Any debate about DN's overextension or whatever is all just speculative and for the far greater part dissecting his play comes up empty. Everyone seems to have thoughts on this but variance seems to be the most reasonable answer. Outside of this I personally believe he is a bit overextended. But, really this is just a guess. But, the OP has some weird (ie.. very relative) ideas on judging a poker players performance.

Joseph Busti
08-05-2005, 03:11 PM
According to the results he posts on his website he is up $1,175,912 so far this year.

Smoothcall
08-06-2005, 02:40 AM
Yes this is exactly how i think about Daniel as well. You hit the nail on the head.

Smoothcall
08-06-2005, 03:00 AM
Daniel shouln't call his journal a poker journal. Because he fools everyone into thinking it will be about poker. And instead 95 percent of it is to promote his business and or to tell people about everything in his life but poker. Once in a blue moon he will mention one hand he played. Its almost like he is purposely avoiding talking poker and talking about anything but poker. There's only so many mushu stories he can tell. Get to poker. But as you said he barely plays poker these days except the challenge matches which are basically 500k coinflips. Even Ivey said it to daniel that he doesnt play poker anymore that he's just a businessman.