PDA

View Full Version : I am planning on being a dumb tourist in NYC, tell me what I should do

B Dids
08-04-2005, 12:57 PM
I'll be in NYC the weeek of August 15th. (after I go to AC as part of www.snipurl.com/didsinac (http://www.snipurl.com/didsinac) ).

Things I'm planning on doing:

1- some dinner with interested 2+2ers, some of whom have very expensive apartments.

2- Seeing: Ground Zero, Times Square, Ellis Island, Central Park, Bronx Zoo, Staten Island Ferry.

3- I'm thinking a Mets game. I'd rather see the Yankees, just for the of history and what not, but they're not in town that week.

4- I'm an Iron Chef geek, so I'm thinking Mesa Grill, Nobu in terms of places to eat. Other suggestions? I know there's some deli that I'm supposed to hit up.

So what am I missing? What am I planning on doing that will actually suck. If it helps- I'm staying in Midtown, and was planning doing most of my travel on the Subway.

Paluka
08-04-2005, 01:05 PM
I think you should go up in the Empire State Building after dark. It is pretty cool.
You might want to hit either MoMA or the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
You should get pizza and ice cream at John's/Cones on Bleeker.

08-04-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know there's some deli that I'm supposed to hit up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Katz's on Houston Street. Also, you might want to take the Q train to Coney Island and ride the Cyclone. Not many tourists get out of Manhattan.

sfer
08-04-2005, 01:06 PM
Linky no verk.

Food that you like? Also, there's like zero chance you get into Nobu.

Bronx Zoo rocks.

Mets games are fun. So are Cyclones games in Coney Island.

Laomedon
08-04-2005, 01:07 PM
Unless you really don't like art you must go to the Metropolitan Musuem of Art and the Museum of Modern Art. It'll be worth it.

Other restaurants worth trying are:

- Sushi of Gari (you mentioned Nobu, but this place is the real deal)

- Scalini Fedeli (if you have a female companion or just generally enjoy insanely good Italian food)

- Tao (if you like a nuts atmosphere/scene)

- J.G. Melon (my favorite burger in NYC can be found here, but there is not necessarily any consensus on this. Try the Corner Bistro as well if you're a burger fan)

Other activities: Basically anything you're into, you can do in NYC. I can't really comment on tourist-y [censored] to do since I've never really done any tourist-y [censored].

Enjoy the center of the universe.

IndieMatty
08-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Walk over the Brooklyn Bridge. Go down to Wall St/Stone St.

M2d
08-04-2005, 01:43 PM
is it your first time? you gotta do the broadway thing. it's way cool. also, walk around afterwards for a late supper. the area around the theaters is just alive, even at that late hour.

Paluka
08-04-2005, 01:46 PM
Yeah you should see Avenue Q if it is still playing, I have no idea if it is. Spamalot blows, by the way so don't try to use that as a shitty substitute.

samjjones
[ QUOTE ]
Linky no verk.

Bronx Zoo rocks.

Mets games are fun. So are Cyclones games in Coney Island.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can bang out ride on the Cyclone, Mets minor league game, and ORIGINAL Nathan's hot dogs in the same trip. Plus see the Atlantic Ocean if you've never seen it before.

pokerdirty
go to a gay bar in the village.

you can see what an actual gay person looks like... </whisper>

sfer
08-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Yeah, The Cyclone rules.

hotsauce615
08-04-2005, 01:53 PM
I definitely reccomend taking the subway around, it gives you a chance to get lost a bit and enjoy seein the city for a lot cheaper than the cabs, just remember that the 4 takes you most places, and grand central has a shuttle that hits times square. I reccomend the village and having a beer in Mcsorleys on 15 east 7th street, the place is a dump but it's rich in history and just awesome. Just trust me and go /images/graemlins/wink.gif Coney island is real nice, and a lot safer than it used to be. Turn on news 12 Brooklyn if you're there, I shoot a lot of their video!

colgin
08-04-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
4- I'm an Iron Chef geek, so I'm thinking Mesa Grill, Nobu in terms of places to eat. Other suggestions? I know there's some deli that I'm supposed to hit up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobu will both be hard to get into (although in mid-August you may havea shot) and wildly expensive. You should have no problem with Mesa Grill if you call in advance.

In terms of nightlife, if you are into that kind of stuff, try going to one of the NY megaclubs (e.g., Crobar). If that is not your scene, then avoid at all costs. Personally I liked that scene in moderation up until about 34-35. Nw I am just too [censored] old (plus married).

Enjoy!

08-04-2005, 02:39 PM
Sign up for www.opentable.com (http://www.opentable.com) to make reservations at a bunch of NYC restaurants. I took a quick look, and while Nobu wasn't listed, Mesa Grill is.

rollingdirty
08-04-2005, 02:40 PM

Ulysses
08-04-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this place is overpriced and not as good as it should be. I'd recommend China Grill instead for this type of Asian-fusion food. Of course, Tao is a beautiful and sceney space.

Ulysses
08-04-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That might be true, but Nobu is not as hard to get into as people seem to think.

IndieMatty
08-04-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sign up for www.opentable.com (http://www.opentable.com) to make reservations at a bunch of NYC restaurants. I took a quick look, and while Nobu wasn't listed, Mesa Grill is.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

You ruined your gimmick account.

Ulysses
08-04-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah you should see Avenue Q if it is still playing, I have no idea if it is. Spamalot blows, by the way so don't try to use that as a shitty substitute.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Dibs should go see The Blue Man Group. I love them in New York.

M2d
08-04-2005, 02:44 PM
I said it in another NYC thread, but it bears repeating: Basilica (http://www.gotham2go.com/index.php/54/45/376) is one of my top two italian and top five dining experiences of all time. Very simple, pretty cheap, but super fresh tasting italian goodness. It's also the only one of my top five that isn't a five star name restaurant.

IndieMatty
08-04-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Dibs should go see The Blue Man Group. I love them in New York.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another good suggestion. But in case you are wondering:
Avenue Q > Blue Man though.

Both will be available in Vegas in a few months anyway.

MtSmalls
08-04-2005, 02:47 PM
If you're into that kind of thing, checking out the Intrepid is pretty cool (US Aircraft carrier with lots of different jets on the deck)

Paluka
08-04-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're into that kind of thing, checking out the Intrepid is pretty cool (US Aircraft carrier with lots of different jets on the deck)

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the Intrepid was the most boring museum of any sort I have ever gone to.

Paluka
08-04-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I have 2 dumb questions having never been to NYC either. HOw much is the subway? The other is just something i heard. Is it true that there are no restrooms in subway stations? Feel free to make fun of me at will i was just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

The subway is $2, and there aren't really any restrooms.

Ulysses
08-04-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I definitely reccomend taking the subway around, it gives you a chance to get lost a bit and enjoy seein the city for a lot cheaper than the cabs, just remember that the 4 takes you most places, and grand central has a shuttle that hits times square. I reccomend the village and having a beer in Mcsorleys on 15 east 7th street, the place is a dump but it's rich in history and just awesome. Just trust me and go /images/graemlins/wink.gif Coney island is real nice, and a lot safer than it used to be. Turn on news 12 Brooklyn if you're there, I shoot a lot of their video!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 2 dumb questions having never been to NYC either. HOw much is the subway? The other is just something i heard. Is it true that there are no restrooms in subway stations? Feel free to make fun of me at will i was just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

$2/ride. 6 rides/$10.

$7/$24/$76 for unlimited ride 1/7/30-day pass.

08-04-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

You ruined your gimmick account.

[/ QUOTE ]

Err...Strength and honor, my brother.

Ulysses
08-04-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The subway is $2, and there aren't really any restrooms.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of stairwells and stuff. Also, in a bind, just right there on the subway platform seems to work for some people as well.

sfer
08-04-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this place is overpriced and not as good as it should be. I'd recommend China Grill instead for this type of Asian-fusion food. Of course, Tao is a beautiful and sceney space.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think as far as Asian-fusion-y food goes, Momofuko is the place to be. I used to love China Grill but I was back in March and I think it sucks now.

M2d
08-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Tao was kinda meh when I went there. ymmv, though, since I think most fusion food is meh. lot's of beautiful people, though, so, if you like that scene, the atmosphere may override the decent-but-not-quite-special food.

M2d
08-04-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are plenty of stairwells and stuff. Also, in a bind, just right there on the subway platform seems to work for some people as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
keep in mind that electricity can flow upstream and aim accordingly.

M2d
08-04-2005, 02:56 PM
I grew up in hawaii, have been to vegas in the summer many times and played baseball in oregon in the summer in 109 heat. the hottest, stickiest, muggiest (and probably grossest, considering what is or may be floating around in there) I've ever been was in the NYC subway in late summer/early fall during a heat wave.

the unlimited rides pass is the nuts, though.

Ulysses
08-04-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think as far as Asian-fusion-y food goes, Momofuko is the place to be. I used to love China Grill but I was back in March and I think it sucks now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? I just checked it out and Momofuko looks nothing at all like Tao/China Grill style Asian-fusion. It does, however, look like Republic, which I like a lot. Do you like that joint?

Paluka
08-04-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? I just checked it out and Momofuko looks nothing at all like Tao/China Grill style Asian-fusion. It does, however, look like Republic, which I like a lot. Do you like that joint?

[/ QUOTE ]

Diablo tried to get me drunk and take advantage of me at Republic.

Ulysses
08-04-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I grew up in hawaii, have been to vegas in the summer many times and played baseball in oregon in the summer in 109 heat. the hottest, stickiest, muggiest (and probably grossest, considering what is or may be floating around in there) I've ever been was in the NYC subway in late summer/early fall during a heat wave.

the unlimited rides pass is the nuts, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've spent summers in India and in Houston. I agree w/ your assessment.

M2d
08-04-2005, 03:01 PM
while standing on the platform waiting with 5000 other riders waiting for the train that doesn't seem to be coming, do you ever think "gee, I wonder what other vapors besides bum-urine are floating around in here"

sfer
08-04-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just mean the notion of several types of Asian food together under one roof. Momofuko is to Republic what Luger is to Outback. And I like Republic.

Ulysses
08-04-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just mean the notion of several types of Asian food together under one roof. Momofuko is to Republic what Luger is to Outback. And I like Republic.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, Momofuko is on the list for next week. Along with Churrascaria Plataforma in Tribeca.

samjjones
08-04-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, Momofuko is on the list for next week. Along with Churrascaria Plataforma in Tribeca.

[/ QUOTE ]
You will eat at least 5 lbs. of food at Churrascaria Plataforma. Make sure you have the proper strategy in place before you sit down, though.

Nigel
08-04-2005, 03:16 PM
If you go to Nobu, make sure you don't do Nobu Next Door, you will have a much better experience at Nobu, and let the waiter help you with your selections. Mesa Grill sucks big time, I would skip it and do one of Batali's places instead - Otto if you want pizza, probably Lupa if you want Italian. Although Batali himself is an ass, and some of his dishes aren't that hot, some are quite good and at Lupa and Otto the price is right. Speaking of Pizza, if you make it out to Coney Island, hit up Totonno's for the real deal NY pizza.

The deli you are thinking of, as mentioned, is probably Katz's. I think it's pretty sub-par. But, if you want an amazing burger, do Luger's at lunchtime. Get the cheeseburger with fries and a brooklyn lager. You'll be in heaven.

Nigel

megantw
08-04-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Along with Churrascaria Plataforma in Tribeca.

[/ QUOTE ]

Churrascaria Plataforma is not as great as you are anticipating. You will leave in a food coma; perhaps that's what you're looking for. Skip the first round of chicken and sausage and go for the pork, lamb, and beef.

IndieMatty
08-04-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
while standing on the platform waiting with 5000 other riders waiting for the train that doesn't seem to be coming, do you ever think "gee, I wonder what other vapors besides bum-urine are floating around in here"

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't before. Thanks.

Nigel
08-04-2005, 03:21 PM
This thread is making me hungry.

M2d
08-04-2005, 03:22 PM
I share because I care

Ulysses
08-04-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mesa Grill sucks big time

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I didn't pipe in initially, because it seemed Dibs was really into it. However, I am not a big fan of Mesa Grill. But that might be because I'm not a huge fan of "southwestern" cuisine. I dunno, for paying that much, the food seems kind of basic and a little boring. I wouldn't say it "sucks big time" but it doesn't really excite me at all, and there are plenty of restaurants in NYC that do that.

[ QUOTE ]
I would skip it and do one of Batali's places instead - Otto if you want pizza, probably Lupa if you want Italian.

[/ QUOTE ]

Casa Mono, also v good.

If you love steak, Dibs, and are willing to splurge on a v. expensive dinner, either Luger or Wolfgang's is a must.

Ulysses
08-04-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Churrascaria Plataforma is not as great as you are anticipating. You will leave in a food coma; perhaps that's what you're looking for. Skip the first round of chicken and sausage and go for the pork, lamb, and beef.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a chick, right? No offense, but I don't really value most women's opinions when it comes to all-you-can-eat meat places.

jackdaniels
08-04-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are a chick, right? No offense, but I don't really value most women's opinions when it comes to all-you-can-eat meat places.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word.

sfer
08-04-2005, 03:32 PM
Casa Mono is quite good.

colgin
08-04-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Casa Mono is quite good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. Great wine selection too (as with all Batali/Bastianich enterprises) at all price points.

B Dids
08-04-2005, 03:37 PM
Mesa Grill would be like 50% "I saw this guy make this on TV" and 50% I like "southwestern" food.

The steak places that have been mentioned sound interesting as well.

megantw
08-04-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

None taken. My office took me this place because they knew I would be excited about the large variety of meats available. I was the only female at our table of six. I was extremely excited and out-ate at least one of the guys who went with us.

It's not bad by any means; it's just not as good as a place that specialized in this sort of food could (and should) be.

colgin
08-04-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mesa Grill sucks big time

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I didn't pipe in initially, because it seemed Dibs was really into it. However, I am not a big fan of Mesa Grill. But that might be because I'm not a huge fan of "southwestern" cuisine. I dunno, for paying that much, the food seems kind of basic and a little boring. I wouldn't say it "sucks big time" but it doesn't really excite me at all, and there are plenty of restaurants in NYC that do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mesa Grill used to be very good (although depending on your taste you may not have liked it that much in its so-called glory days). However, it is now pretty tired, especially since the southwestern thing has been doneto death and since Bobby Flay has devoted much if his energies elsewhere. That said, if you like that style of food you will still get a pretty good meal for above-average, but not extravagant, prices.

Personally, when I am in for that tupe of food I go to Flay's orgnal haunting ground, Miracle Grill either in the East Village or West Village. It is much cheaper and almost as good (and on certain nights better). Oh, and Rocking Horse Mexicana in the heart of Chelsea used to be very good atthat style and, acciording to my sources, still is. Of course, one shouldn't gothere hoping to pick up chicks.

Ulysses
08-04-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was the only female at our table of six. I was extremely excited and out-ate at least one of the guys who went with us.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can just say "sfer."

[ QUOTE ]
It's not bad by any means, it's just not as good as a place that specialized in this sort of food could (and should) be.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, let me ask you this. If this were just a regular entree place and I got a plate of mixed-meat for dinner, how do you think I'd rank that meal?

I am currently getting very diverging opinions on this joint and am confused.

Edited to add: I just read my post and something seemed a little off. I decided that maybe "divergent" would be better usage than "diverging" here. But then I looked up "divergent" and its definition was "diverging." So, which one goes better in that sentence? I am torn.

samjjones
08-04-2005, 03:46 PM
Food's like maybe a 6 or a 7 if you are being generous. But its all you can eat. You also have to get a pitcher of caprinha if you haven't had it before. Then again, who cares...ITS ALL YOU CAN EAT.

megantw
08-04-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was the only female at our table of six. I was extremely excited and out-ate at least one of the guys who went with us.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can just say "sfer."

[ QUOTE ]
It's not bad by any means, it's just not as good as a place that specialized in this sort of food could (and should) be.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, let me ask you this. If this were just a regular entree place and I got a plate of mixed-meat for dinner, how do you think I'd rank that meal?

Edited to add: I just read my post and something seemed a little off. I decided that maybe "divergent" would be better usage than "diverging" here. But then I looked up "divergent" and its definition was "diverging." So, which one goes better in that sentence? I am torn.

[/ QUOTE ]

SFer wasn't there.

Besides, wtf? I don't have a penis, so I don't know what good food is, especially if it's meat?

Again, I'm not saying that it's bad, just that it's not as good as it should have been considering that the meat is what Churrascaria brags about. I would imagine that if a restaurant were to focus their entire staff and menu to meat preparation, then it should be spectacular. It was just good.

sfer
08-04-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can just say "sfer."

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't there. But I've been to the one in midtown and I think it's pretty mediocre. FWIW, megantw has been with me to Luger twice and eaten a ton of red meat as well as most of two full bowls of whipped cream.

Ulysses
08-04-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can just say "sfer."

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SFer wasn't there.

Besides, wtf? I don't have a penis, so I don't know what good food is, especially if it's meat?

Again, I'm not saying that it's bad, just that it's not as good as it should have been considering that the meat is what Churrascaria brags about. I would imagine that if a restaurant were to focus their entire staff and menu to meat preparation, then it should be spectacular. It was just good.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF, did you read my post? I explicitly asked you to rate how good the meat was!

xadrez
08-04-2005, 04:24 PM
Plataforma is perfect if say, you have a sudden dire need for 400 grams of protein.

The all-you-can-eat aspect of the place is its best quality.

As a sidenote I remember seeing a family eating there together and thinking to myself "I feel bad for their couch"

megantw
08-04-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can just say "sfer."

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SFer wasn't there.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF, did you read my post? I explicitly asked you to rate how good the meat was!

[/ QUOTE ]

I did. It's good, but not spectacular. If you need a number, six or seven out of ten.

Ulysses
08-04-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can just say "sfer."

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SFer wasn't there.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did. It's good, but not spectacular. If you need a number, six or seven out of ten.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point was simply that there's "how good is meat" in the context of an all-you-can-eat place and "how good is meat" in the context of an entree. That was all. I was surprised by your "wtf?" response when I asked for elaboration from you after your meat-eating credentials had been established. If I didn't think you knew what good food was, why would I ask you to rate it!? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

warlockjd
08-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Have not read the replies but I hear the DEA museum is awesome.

lastsamurai
08-07-2005, 07:19 AM
55th and broadway...a GREAT SOUP PLACE...just dont piss the cook off or NO SOUP FOR YOU!

CaptSensible
08-07-2005, 07:50 AM
There's a fun place to eat called Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hydes.
It's right near CBGB's (which you should also check out if your at all a fan of first wave punk/new wave.

The Dr J and Mr h's is a fantastic themed resteraunt with good food, great deserts. The bathroom is in a secret passage book case! its a lot of fun /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Luv2DriveTT
08-07-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobu will both be hard to get into (although in mid-August you may have a shot) and wildly expensive. You should have no problem with Mesa Grill if you call in advance.

In terms of nightlife, if you are into that kind of stuff, try going to one of the NY megaclubs (e.g., Crobar). If that is not your scene, then avoid at all costs. Personally I liked that scene in moderation up until about 34-35. Nw I am just too [censored] old (plus married).

Enjoy!

[/ QUOTE ]

One advance call will get you into Nobu, its not as hard as everyone claims it is. But in reality the best dining experience is Nobu Next Door... and you don't need rezos!

Since you are an Iron Chef freak I suggest the Mario's places. Lupa and Babbo are amazing (again call far in advance), but you can also eat at his pizza place Otto which has the most amazing wine menu and has wine tasting classes every weekend (make sure you get the olive oil gellato for desert, its honestly one of the best deserts I've ever had!).

Oh yeah... you must play poker in NY. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

Luv2DriveTT
08-07-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its been along time since I've been to any of these places, I was never thrilled with the lot of them... give me authenticity anyday. What about Asia de Cuba? Is that place still good?

Luv2DriveTT
08-07-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's right near CBGB's (which you should also check out if your at all a fan of first wave punk/new wave.

The Dr J and Mr h's is a fantastic themed resteraunt with good food, great deserts. The bathroom is in a secret passage book case! its a lot of fun /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have been very high the night you went to J&H, its nowhere near CBGB's. And it also seriously sucks.

Luv2DriveTT
08-07-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
55th and broadway...a GREAT SOUP PLACE...just dont piss the cook off or NO SOUP FOR YOU!

[/ QUOTE ]

The soup man is out of business. He is launching a chain shortly.

Luv2DriveTT
08-07-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My entire party got food posioning while eating here. I won't go back (but I was very stuffed and the food did taste good... the decor was cheesy).

megantw
08-07-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Since you are an Iron Chef freak I suggest the Mario's places. Lupa and Babbo are amazing (again call far in advance), but you can also eat at his pizza place Otto which has the most amazing wine menu and has wine tasting classes every weekend (make sure you get the olive oil gellato for desert, its honestly one of the best deserts I've ever had!).

[/ QUOTE ]
Otto is great and definitely worth a visit. The pizza is good, the octopus is wonderful, the pasta is perfect, and the olive oil gelato is the best. It comes with fruit-juice sweetened sea salt and berries, OMG.

andyfox
08-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Walk up 5th Avenue from the Empire State Building to Central Park. One of the great walks in the world.

Take the Circle Line Boat Tour around Manhattan.

FWIW, two friends of mine, on separate trips, just got back from New York where they both ate at Nobu and both didn't like it.

Nigel
08-07-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Another vote for the olive oil gelato. It's amazing.
Otto is great and definitely worth a visit. The pizza is good, the octopus is wonderful, the pasta is perfect, and the olive oil gelato is the best. It comes with fruit-juice sweetened sea salt and berries, OMG.

[/ QUOTE ]

jnalpak
08-07-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mesa is great but BOLO, his other rest is MUCH BETTER!!!

Pick up a reservation for David Burke & Donatella(5star) and also head over to KATZ's deli on Howston, Carnegie and Stage have NOTHING on Katz. Except maybe the fact that you can take the sandwhich to central park and chow down.

hoopsie44
08-07-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mesa is great but BOLO, his other rest is MUCH BETTER!!!

Pick up a reservation for David Burke & Donatella(5star) and also head over to KATZ's deli on Houston , Carnegie and Stage have NOTHING on Katz. Except maybe the fact that you can take the sandwhich to central park and chow down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Luv2DriveTT
08-07-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is Dave as much of a a foodie as you seem to be? I think a dinner trip will be required soom, JBB is a serious foodie as well.

megantw
08-07-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Is Dave as much of a a foodie as you seem to be? I think a dinner trip will be required soom, JBB is a serious foodie as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm hearing from other sources that JBB knows expensive food, but is not necessarily a foodie. The rumor is that he ordered sushi at a Korean restaurant. Psh.

Dave loves food and has more food knowledge than I do.

Luv2DriveTT
08-07-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Is Dave as much of a a foodie as you seem to be? I think a dinner trip will be required soon, JBB is a serious foodie as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm hearing from other sources that JBB knows expensive food, but is not necessarily a foodie. The rumor is that he ordered sushi at a Korean restaurant. Psh.

Dave loves food and has more food knowledge than I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

JBB and I have similar tastes... I tend to go for the pricey stuff because I am actually squeamish. When I eat at a top-tier restaurant, I know my food was prepared impeccably and therefore I lose all fear. Some childhood trauma because my mother was such a bad cook I guess, strange how I've become such a fan of gourmet restaurants.

Ulysses
08-07-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its been along time since I've been to any of these places, I was never thrilled with the lot of them... give me authenticity anyday. What about Asia de Cuba? Is that place still good?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never really liked Asia de Cuba, except to look at the hot chicks there.

Ulysses
08-07-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have been very high the night you went to J&H, its nowhere near CBGB's. And it also seriously sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

As he says, J&H sucks.

CaptSensible
08-07-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Owie. It's not near CBGBs? my bad. thought it was.
Also I was there about 12-14 years ago. I went with a bunch of people and we had a fun time. I'm also a horror movie buff so I was especially into the whole vibe of the place.

Luv2DriveTT
08-07-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Diablo you just let me down... what do you mean by "look". And I thought you were the man.... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jnalpak
08-07-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Diablo you just let me down... what do you mean by "look". And I thought you were the man.... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

funny your talking about this, i just had dinner here on wednesday with a few friends...CENTER BAR/TABLE....

This place is still EXCELLENT! and the TALENT was just as good as the food /images/graemlins/smile.gif

lastsamurai
08-08-2005, 04:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Dr J and Mr h's is a fantastic themed resteraunt with good food, great deserts. The bathroom is in a secret passage book case! its a lot of fun

TT

As he says, J&H sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just dont go in there stoned...SCARIEST NIGHT OF MY LIFE!