PDA

View Full Version : Buying an LCD TV

BottlesOf
08-04-2005, 11:45 AM
Aaaaand, I'm kind of lost. I found a few tvs in my price range size range, that have gotten good reviews on CNET.

There's one from Sharp that's 26" that I can get under $1K, there's also a 23" by Toshiba and a 22" by Panasonic I can get around $800.

Anyone have any other recs?

Also, can anyone explain in a little more detail the difference between HD TVs and HD-ready TVs? HD ready TVs require you to buy an external tuner to recieve/display HD signals? I saw that this tuner cost $1500, that seems absurd.... Also, if I have digital cable, I heard that those boxes have a tuner built in, would this mean I don't need to spend an outrageous sum on an external HD tuner if I buy an HD ready TV?

Can someone straighten me out/point me in the right direction?

daveymck
08-04-2005, 11:50 AM
If you have a cable or satellite box then as far as I am aware no tuner is required its a cable that goes from your box to the relevant socket on your tv. I would assume the external board is for old transmitter/digital based signals via an aerial and the HD ones have an aerial driven tuner built in, HD ready will display the HD pictures via your cable/satellite box.

As for the tv I would go for Panasonic they have had consitant 5 star reviews for their lcd's in What Hi fi over here, I would consider Philips as well if that is available in the states.

fryKing
08-04-2005, 12:19 PM
Assuming you have Time Warner, you will be getting your HD signal via your cable box, so you don't need to waste your money on a TV with an HD tuner - "HD Ready" is fine.

TW will hook you up with an HD DVR for pretty cheap too, if you want it and the "extra" HD channels (ESPN-HD!) it's like $15/month.

IndieMatty
08-04-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Assuming you have Time Warner, you will be getting your HD signal via your cable box, so you don't need to waste your money on a TV with an HD tuner - "HD Ready" is fine.

TW will hook you up with an HD DVR for pretty cheap too, if you want it and the "extra" HD channels (ESPN-HD!) it's like $15/month.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. W/O the extras, the HDCable Box is available at no extra charge.

FWIW I just picked up a supercheap LCD Audiovox 15" for my bedroom for $300 bucks, it actually looks fantastic; and for the money it's really no big deal if it lasts a year or two.

Dell usually has really good sales.

sfer
08-04-2005, 01:13 PM
I was told that every LCD is actually manufactured by either Samsung or another company. Dunno if that's true, but if it's not, I'll look dumb enough for Astroglide to respond, which is what you really want anyway.

kenberman
08-04-2005, 01:24 PM
at costco online, you can buy this one. (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?ec=BC-EC3-Cat79&pos=1&whse=&topnav=&prodid=11008292) (27 inch HDTV Sceptre for $700).

Sceptre isn't well known for TV's (more for LCD monitors), but with the Costco lifetime warranty, I don't think you can go wrong.

Stellastarr
08-04-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was told that every LCD is actually manufactured by either Samsung or another company. Dunno if that's true, but if it's not, I'll look dumb enough for Astroglide to respond, which is what you really want anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think LG makes alot of the LCDs too.

Analyst
08-04-2005, 03:13 PM
LCDs: Sharp, and it isn't close though a few others are OK; some are truly junk
Plasma: Panasonic, and only Pioneer comes particularly close

It's far from just being the panel (and Sharp/Panasonic make their own, as do a number of the brand name companies); the display processing electronics make a huge difference.

One thing to keep in mind is that while LCDs can look insanely good (not some brands, though) on HD and DVD signals, they don't look that good on plain ol' broadcast TV signals. If you're mainly watching HD and/or DVD, LCD or plasma is the way to go but if you're just going to watch regular TV, then I'd hold off a couple more years and stick with a cheapy tube for the meanwhile.

BoogerFace
08-04-2005, 03:37 PM
In that price range, I wouldn't bother with LCD/plasma. You'd probably be happier with a Sony WEGA flat screen. IMO, much better picture for the $$$.

Only downside is that they are heavier than hell.

NorCalJosh
08-04-2005, 04:14 PM
there are several companies i would recommend for plasmas before panasonic.

to the OP, i would go with the Sharp, no point messing with something else.

wacki
08-04-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can someone straighten me out/point me in the right direction?

[/ QUOTE ]

search:

username: astroglide

busy as all hell..

wacki

BottlesOf
08-04-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

One thing to keep in mind is that while LCDs can look insanely good (not some brands, though) on HD and DVD signals, they don't look that good on plain ol' broadcast TV signals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this true? How bad? I don't know how much HD I'm gonna be watching right away, but I really don't want a heavy CRT.

Analyst
08-04-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there are several companies i would recommend for plasmas before panasonic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not disagreeing, as I haven't seen them all, but who would you recommend? I've seen the Pioneer and Pioneer Elite as well as the new Sonys, all of which are quite good and do come close to Panasonic. However, other than some Faroudja-tweeked displays at CES (not really a fair comparison), I haven't seen a plasma that equalled Panasonic overall. Most of the plasmas fall well, well short and given the recent price drops it does not make sense to buy anything less than a great plasma if you're going to buy one at all.

Analyst
08-04-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

One thing to keep in mind is that while LCDs can look insanely good (not some brands, though) on HD and DVD signals, they don't look that good on plain ol' broadcast TV signals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this true? How bad? I don't know how much HD I'm gonna be watching right away, but I really don't want a heavy CRT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad is a relative term, of course, but we recently opted to buy a $280 tube set rather than a Sharp LCD as a stop-gap for a couple of years while the networks shift to digital.

I really, really wanted the flat-panel, but knew that the display would drive me crazy, except when watching DVDs, of course.

daveymck
08-04-2005, 06:03 PM
The new panasonic Viera range is getting very good reviews over here, along with pioneer and the 37 inch Sony although it seems expensive.

fsuplayer
08-04-2005, 06:10 PM
JBB:

I bought my gf a 32" polaroid LCD tv, its pretty solid, although not quite the clarity of the sharp, which was $2.2k at the time, compared to the 1500 i paid.

they make a 25" which can be had for maybe $1kish now, I recommend it.

ok, here it is (http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Polaroid-26-HDTV-Monitor-FLM-2601-/sem/rpsm/oid/119330/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do)