PDA

View Full Version : KK on button with big open raise from ep.

theordinaryboy
08-04-2005, 11:44 AM
Prima round 3 (similar to a party step) $125 roughly buy-in

Top 4 qualify to next round 5th gets a freeroll at round 2.

10 left blinds 15/30 (blinds are every 10 mins so longer than party.

Starting chips 1500 Hero = 2700 Villain = 1500

Villain (utg) raises to 180
6 folds
Hero has KK
Hero raises to 500
villain calls 320

Flop A82 2 hearts (hero has no hearts)

Villain checks
Hero bets 500
Villain raises all-in?

Hero's action???

Now considering with 2700 chips i could use my stack size advantage to blind steal my way into qualifying is just calling the pre-flop raise preferable and playing strong if no Ace falls??

Also could i have checked behind on the flop or is that just too weak. I.e. what would i do on the turn if any card but a K came and villain bet into me?

Also is a push pre-flop a possibility, as this would maximise my fe and the 200 odd chips would do me fine, altho with KK i just cant not re-raise with position can i?

xLukex
08-04-2005, 11:51 AM
It would only cost you another 500 to call here right?

So the pot is laying you 4:1 or so? I'd call with those odds.

But then again I play the 11s for a reason. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

08-04-2005, 12:02 PM
You have to fold. Even with the odds, I dont think you will win this 25% of the time, your odds are much lower than that.

He has an ace. What else would he make this play with?

08-04-2005, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It would only cost you another 500 to call here right?

So the pot is laying you 4:1 or so? I'd call with those odds.

But then again I play the 11s for a reason. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got 5:1 on the pot odds (500 to win 2500). How can you win this? Only if he's bluffing, or you suck out a king. I'd put the chances of him being on a bluff at 10%. The chances of you sucking out are about 10%. But, there's also the chance he's on AA, probably a good chance, say 30%ish. That beats you even if you suck out. So I'd say you have about a 15% chance of winning this, or that you are about a 7:1 dog. So, I fold and move on. This would be re-thought if this guy had show hyper-aggressive tendencies.

They asked Doyle on the WPT show last night (after his very impressive victory) what was the most common mistake he sees in the new breed of players. His response: not respecting a big UTG raise.

Moving back to before you got yourself into this, if you respected that big UTG raise you would have just called, thinking he's on AA, KK (very unlikely given your hand), QQ, or AK (slightly less likely given your hand). I would have called and played aggressively post-flop without an A showing. With the A flopped, I proceed very carefully, even folding most of the time to any significant betting.

HighestCard
08-04-2005, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Two hearts.

I cant stand seeing an ace on the flop with kk. I've had to learn to fold it because it was a leak in my game. This is so tricky though I honestly have no clue what I would do.

08-04-2005, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Two hearts.

I cant stand seeing an ace on the flop with kk. I've had to learn to fold it because it was a leak in my game. This is so tricky though I honestly have no clue what I would do.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only way a UTG raise comes in like that without an A or KK or QQ is if the guy is an absolute moron. If he pushes against a flopped A with QQ after you called him pre-flop then he's still a moron. If he is a good player he clearly has AA or maybe AK or KK. If he's a moron and pushed your KK out, so be it. You'll likely get those chips back before it's all over.

Phil Van Sexton
08-04-2005, 12:28 PM
I probably raise to 400 preflop, then bet 400 on flop and fold to allin checkraise.

Raising to 500 makes things a bit more difficult for you. That being said, I'd probably fold.

Getting 4:1 is nice, but what could he have to check raise you with that you are ahead of?

I doubt he has 2 hearts. First of all, this would be a terrible way for him to play a flush draw. Secondly, what hand could he have with 2 hearts and no ace that he'd raise to 180 from UTG? KQh? Unlikely.