PDA

View Full Version : A good ending to a bad day

jasonHoldEm
03-13-2003, 11:58 PM
Hi all,

What a day. I sat down at the NL tables at party and made two stupid calls within 15 minutes, busting myself twice. I'd like to think the first was a bad beat, but really it wasn't...the second...well, to say I was tilting a little is an understatement.

I took a break, had some dinner, and then decided to try and rebuild my depleted bankroll a little by playing some single table tournaments (which is probably my specialty even though I'm not really good at anything /forums/images/icons/wink.gif ).

Anyways, I was being my normal tight little self. I hadn't even seen a flop yet (except for maybe a free ride from BB or two, which I immediately folded on). When the limits hit 30/60 I managed to take down a monster pot. I think I have a pretty good tournament strategy, usually I just wait for a hand and play it very aggressively. It's gotten me crushed more than once, and this particular hand is one of those times where if it had gone the other way I would have been. I'm posting it to see what you guys think of my play, (was I too agressive?). It should be noted this was a $5 tournament and the action up until this point was fairly loose agressive, significant amount of pre-flop raising and people chasing the river with junk.

Here we go (limits are at 30/60):

I'm in SB with K /forums/images/icons/heart.gif K /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

UTG calls, EP raises, MP, CO, & Button cold call. I three bet, UTG folds, EP caps, MP, CO & button call, I call.

Five of us see the flop (22 small bets in the pot):

K /forums/images/icons/club.gif A /forums/images/icons/club.gif T /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

Hmm...is this a good flop for me? Granted, I've got 3 K's, so I'm in a pretty good spot, but with a straight and flush draw out there I'm wondering if my flop play was smart.

I bet out, EP raises, MP calls, CO re-raises, button calls, I cap, everyone calls. At this point I expect that I need to fill in to win the hand, I capped because I have a good chance of filling in (7 outs), and I want to get as much money into the pot as I can. If I don't fill in on the turn I plan to check call to see the river. (Is this a correct play given the betting/raising of the other players?)

Turn (42 small/21 big bets in pot): T /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

Well, that fills me in nicely /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif . I'm not sure what to do here, I want to keep the flush draw in the hand so I can get more bets later. I checked because I expected to get at least one bet (and possibly a raise), and I plan to check-raise whatever comes my way.

EP bets, MP folds, CO raises, button calls, I three bet, EP caps, everyone calls.

(four to the river, 36 big bets)

River: 6 /forums/images/icons/club.gif

I don't think I could have asked for better. It completes the flush draw so I know that everyone who's still in the hand probably has something nice, I'm a little worried about someone holding AA, but it hasn't really entered my mind until now, and if they have it at this point...so be it.

I bet, EP calls, CO raises, buton folds, I three bet, everyone calls.

EP had AK /forums/images/icons/spade.gif for two pair, CO had flopped the straight, I'm guessing the button was chasing a straight.

I took down a $2500+ pot /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

So what do you think, good play? Stupid (but lucky) play?

thanks,
jHE

PS-I took down another big pot a little later to go into the final 3 with something like $5500 in chips...won it easily. Just wish I would have been playing a $50 tourney instead. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Mike Gallo
03-14-2003, 03:29 PM
Jason,

I think you played the hand well.

MK