PDA

View Full Version : Line check - AKo

downtown
08-04-2005, 10:57 AM
This considers a situation where the 1st hand you play in a t800 SNG is in Level 3, as was the case here. I'm definitely more comfortable when I go into this hand with t1000 (20BBs) or t500 (10BBs) with knowing exactly what to do to maximize EV for this hand. But at least a decent amount of the time this is the first hand I've gotten involved with in the SNG and I'm in a situation as follows. No strong reads on Villain. Blinds will hit me next while still at 25/50, so I'm not under a huge amount of pressure here, but it sucks when I don't hit...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t1405)
Hero (t730)
MP1 (t1295)
MP2 (t775)
MP3 (t795)
CO (t240)
Button (t770)
SB (t1110)
BB (t880)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls t150, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (t375) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t325</font>, Hero folds.

I hate check/folding here! I'm left with 580, and 505 when the blinds come by and a 5BB stack when the blinds go up after they pass me. But I think I have to fold, right? I definitely raise a weak bet by Villain here, and maybe lead out all-in 10-20% of the time, but I hate being called by 88 or the like here. Line check please.

tigerite
08-04-2005, 11:00 AM
Seems so weak to just check it, he could have anything here. I think I have to cont. bet this pot with only one in the hand.

Maulik
08-04-2005, 11:05 AM
I hate you checking, showing you missed the flop!

Make a continuation bet &amp; muck if he comes over the top

therock
08-04-2005, 11:08 AM
I dont think your stack size is right for a 3BB pre-flop raise. I would min-raise which would allow a continuation bet vs. one opponent and not cripple your stack if you fold to agression.

Maulik
08-04-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont think your stack size is right for a 3BB pre-flop raise. I would min-raise which would allow a continuation bet vs. one opponent and not cripple your stack if you fold to agression.

[/ QUOTE ]

the Hero mentioned that this spot is awkward and a little tougher than usual. However 2x bb raise is not an option its far less likely of getting AKo heads up and that's important for AKo

therock
08-04-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't invest 40% of my stack on a continuation bet and then fold to agresssion. Pre-flop I would prefer to min raise or raise 4-5BB and push a flop vs. 1 opponent.

Maulik
08-04-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't invest 40% of my stack on a continuation bet and then fold to agresssion. Pre-flop I would prefer to min raise or raise 4-5BB and push a flop vs. 1 opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you are going to push any flop, just push pf?

AbelM
08-04-2005, 11:20 AM
Just shove it in if you hate checking /images/graemlins/cool.gif

downtown
08-04-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A continuation bet comes pretty damn close to pot-committing me if he comes over the top. A Hero bet of t150 and I could probabaly (correctly) fold if raised, but I fear that (&lt;50% of pot) bet seems weak. If I continuation bet t200+ I am really close on needing to call if I put him on 1 pair (more likely) or a flush draw (less likely) or a chance of 2 overs w/ backdoor flush (I'm ahead or tied then). If I push I have FE against lots of holdings, but I guess that's why it sucks to be OOP. Overall I thought this was an interesting situation that wasn't clear cut. Interested in more opinions, thanks for those given so far.

Maulik
08-04-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A continuation bet comes pretty damn close to pot-committing me if he comes over the top. A Hero bet of t150 and I could probabaly (correctly) fold if raised, but I fear that (&lt;50% of pot) bet seems weak. If I continuation bet t200+ I am really close on needing to call if I put him on 1 pair (more likely) or a flush draw (less likely) or a chance of 2 overs w/ backdoor flush (I'm ahead or tied then). If I push I have FE against lots of holdings, but I guess that's why it sucks to be OOP. Overall I thought this was an interesting situation that wasn't clear cut. Interested in more opinions, thanks for those given so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I didn't analyze the stack size. I'd push this flop heads up. I don't think there is room for finesse here.

downtown
08-04-2005, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Seems so weak to just check it, he could have anything here. I think I have to cont. bet this pot with only one in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

tigerite, regarding the discussion of stack sizes, would this cont. bet be a push for you? Others: also just push here? It's admittedly an awkward spot, and I'm looking for "least bad" solutions.

tigerite
08-04-2005, 11:37 AM
Yeah, I think I'd have to push here.

downtown
08-04-2005, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What hands are calling a 4-5BB raise and then folding to the flop push? AK or AQ *maybe* I guess, but I don't like this line at all. I also wouldn't min-raise PF because I want this flop HU or I'll just take the blinds.

KramerTM
08-04-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you are going to push any flop, just push pf?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with this. If you push PF you may very well get called from a small PP, giving him essneitally a 50/50 shot of beating you. If you raise PF with the intention of pushing any flop, you may very well get small PPs to fold unless they hit a set (or flop all unders). You've now reduced his odds of beating you to about 10% (that's a rough number, could be off by some).

I like the raise PF. But you have to bet after the flop, especially since it wasn't THAT scary of a board! If you feel committed (which I agree, you are) by making a continuation bet, then push your stack in right after the flop. That's very close to how I would play QQ here, so it would be tough for him to call you with a small PP.

If, worst case scenario, you do get called, you most likely have 6 outs (3 if he has AJ) against top pair here.

Uppercut
08-04-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Villian doesn't know you missed the flop. Think instead how your chip stack will look when you throw out a continuation bet and the villian folds, because the flop missed him too. I agree that this situation sucks, which is why I much prefer playing at Pokerstars, where you start with 1500 chips, 700 more than in your situation.

Messy Harry
08-04-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This considers a situation where the 1st hand you play in a t800 SNG is in Level 3, as was the case here. I'm definitely more comfortable when I go into this hand with t1000 (20BBs) or t500 (10BBs) with knowing exactly what to do to maximize EV for this hand. But at least a decent amount of the time this is the first hand I've gotten involved with in the SNG and I'm in a situation as follows. No strong reads on Villain. Blinds will hit me next while still at 25/50, so I'm not under a huge amount of pressure here, but it sucks when I don't hit...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t1405)
Hero (t730)
MP1 (t1295)
MP2 (t775)
MP3 (t795)
CO (t240)
Button (t770)
SB (t1110)
BB (t880)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls t150, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (t375) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t325</font>, Hero folds.

I hate check/folding here! I'm left with 580, and 505 when the blinds come by and a 5BB stack when the blinds go up after they pass me. But I think I have to fold, right? I definitely raise a weak bet by Villain here, and maybe lead out all-in 10-20% of the time, but I hate being called by 88 or the like here. Line check please.

[/ QUOTE ]

The way you played it, I think you either have to:

1. Make a continuation bet.

2. Be willing to accept that you may play the flop weakly to retain some FE if the flop misses you.

If you feel that this situation may leave you with a difficult decision post-flop due to your stack size and position, what about varying your play by limping? You could then re-evaluate a flop you don't connect with or push a late position raiser. I'm not necessarily recommending this play or saying that's how I would play it, but it is a different way of playing it that gives you different options which may be easier for you to choose between.