PDA

View Full Version : Music after 1990 is crap

Indiana
08-04-2005, 10:55 AM
Thank God I grew up in the late 80s. Its hard to imagine what today's youth will listen to in their old age. I can just see my little sister and her husband sittin on the porch in their 60s listening to "Shake ur ass, show me what ur workin wit" and saying "oh honey, there's our song on the radio."

Indy

Paluka
08-04-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thank God I grew up in the late 80s. Its hard to imagine what today's youth will listen to in their old age. I can just see my little sister and her husband sittin on the porch in their 60s listening to "Shake ur ass, show me what ur workin wit" and saying "oh honey, there's our song on the radio."

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

You might want to consider the possibility that there is plenty of good music being made that isn't on MTV or the radio.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-04-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

You might want to consider the possibility that there is plenty of good music being made that isn't on MTV or the radio.

[/ QUOTE ]
No. Just go out on your boat and rock out to some Queensryche.

Indiana
08-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Plenty? I doubt plenty. There may be a song or two like the the ones on that recent switchfoot album. Thing is, its gonna look silly in 20 yrs when we see the brilliance of the 60s-80s stacked up against 90s-00s.

Indy

Indiana
08-04-2005, 11:02 AM
Actually, I've got metallica cds out on the boat but I may just have to do that.

Indy

Indiana
08-04-2005, 11:03 AM
ah chit, I almost forgot about Def Leopard and Duran Duran.

Indy

Clarkmeister
08-04-2005, 11:03 AM
LOL - The 80's are clearly the worst musical decade ever (1960-present). Mentioning the 80's and 90's in the same breath is insulting to the 90's.

BottlesOf
08-04-2005, 11:04 AM
The music isn't any qualitatively worse. You just got older.

Indiana
08-04-2005, 11:04 AM
Dude,

What was good in the 90s? Its mostly rap and pdiddy bs.

Indy

lucas9000
08-04-2005, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude,

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

this statement is either a display of ignorance or blatant trolling.

Indiana
08-04-2005, 11:05 AM
How can you say that boom boom? I mean, our music in the 80s had culture...It reflected what was going on in life. Now the music is just being produced to be marketable.

Indy

Soul Daddy
08-04-2005, 11:06 AM
There is plenty of good stuff out there if you want to take the effort to find it. Though if hair bands are your flavor, maybe not.

Clarkmeister
[ QUOTE ]
Dude,

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Rather than me waste time listing all that was good in the 90's, why don't you list the two things good about the 80's?

Patrick del Poker Grande
[ QUOTE ]
Dude,

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]
The Smashing Pumpkins
Radiohead
Nirvana
Stone Temple Pilots
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
Tool
Rage Against the Machine
Sonic Youth
PJ Harvey
many more

I'll take any of the above over anything from the 80's.

Indiana
08-04-2005, 11:07 AM
Then answer the question. What in the 90s compares to the bands that I have mentioned. Def Leopard for example had a following the size of a large country. You gonna tell me that p-diddy's songs are as well thought out? Biggy, 2pac, chit like that is junk meant only to make $ through marketing.

Indy

BottlesOf
08-04-2005, 11:08 AM
I agree with you in where your taste lies, I don't like much rock music today, but I also firmly believe that we all like the music we hear in our youth, and once we hit a certain age, we stop liking new music, (or new music that doesn't somehow remind us of music from our youth) for whatever reason.

I'm also pretty sure pop music was/is always produced to be marketable above everything else.

I also think you may be overestimating my age /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TheMainEvent
08-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Billboard top 50 singles for 1989 (http://www.onmc.iinet.net.au/USA/usa1989.htm)

I think I've made my point.

Rev. Good Will
08-04-2005, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude,

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Rage Against the Machine
Smashing Pumpkins
Epic
Radiohead
Alice in Chains
Nirvana
[I love ska]No Doubt
Less Than Jake
Sublime[/I love Ska]
Sublime (even if you don't like ska)

..there's some more, but thats just off the top of my head

stop watching so much damn MTV

lucas9000
08-04-2005, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Then answer the question. What in the 90s compares to the bands that I have mentioned. Def Leopard for example had a following the size of a large country. You gonna tell me that p-diddy's songs are as well thought out? Biggy, 2pac, chit like that is junk meant only to make $ through marketing.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're so obviously baiting that i'm not going to waste my time. i think others will do as good a job or better than i would of pointing out how wrong you are.

Clarkmeister
[ QUOTE ]
music in the 80s had culture...It reflected what was going on in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
What in the 90s compares to the bands that I have mentioned, Def Leopard for example

[/ QUOTE ]

You lose.

everyone thinks the [censored] they listened to as a kid was the golden age, and everything later is crap. but the late 80's? come on man. at least pick the early 80's so you can claim joshua tree.

TheMainEvent
08-04-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Rage Against the Machine
Smashing Pumpkins
Epic
Radiohead
Alice in Chains
Nirvana
[I love ska]No Doubt
Less Than Jake
Sublime[/I love Ska]
Sublime (even if you don't like ska)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
stop watching so much damn MTV

[/ QUOTE ]

This list and this statement do not go together.

Indiana
Clark,

You and your snooty one liners. Ok, the 80s lyrics were meaningful and made you think. For example, just consider the following lines:

Lying beside you, here in the dark
Feeling your heart beat with mine
Softly you whisper, you're so sincere
How could our love be so blind
We sailed on together
We drifted apart
And here you are by my side

So now I come to you, with open arms
Nothing to hide, believe what I say
So here I am with open arms
Hoping you'll see what your love means to me
Open arms

Dam that's some meaningful chit....

Now, check this out from the 90s:

Yo yo, this Mase, youknowhatI'msayin?
You got niggaz that don't like me for whatever reason
You got niggaz that don't wanna see me rich
You got niggaz that's mad, cause I'm always with they bitch
Then you got niggaz that just don't like me
You know, the, those P.H.D. niggaz
But you know I pop a lot of [censored] but I back it up though
see it's a difference, a lot of niggaz pop [censored]
But a lot of niggaz don't make hits
But it's like this whole Bad Boy [censored]
we come to bring it to y'all niggaz, me, B.I., Puff, Lox, whoever
Black Rob
If you wanna dance, we dance

Need I say more?

Indy

Clarkmeister
[ QUOTE ]
everyone thinks the [censored] they listened to as a kid was the golden age, and everything later is crap. but the late 80's? come on man. at least pick the early 80's so you can claim joshua tree.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's basically got Joshua Tree, And Justice for All, and Thriller. I mean, that's it, right?

Ah, I forgot about Appetite for Destruction.

lucas9000
08-04-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
at least pick the early 80's so you can claim talking heads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indiana
Nirvana is the only good band on this list.

Indy

RunDownHouse
[ QUOTE ]
How can you say that boom boom? I mean, our music in the 80s had culture...It reflected what was going on in life. Now the music is just being produced to be marketable.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]
This, coupled with the insistence that the only music post '89 is rap, lets me know that you are white and went through adolescence in the '80's.

Seriously, you mention rap and rap only in every single post in this thread. You should make more of an effort either to correct or to hide your ignorance.

Clarkmeister
08-04-2005, 11:14 AM
You are aware there was rap in the 80's also, right?

You remind me why I loathed Indianapolis - the people.

imported_The Vibesman
Def Leopard and Duran Duran?

K.

Maybe you shouldn't criticize others' taste.

TheMainEvent
[ QUOTE ]
He's basically got Joshua Tree, And Justice for All, and Thriller. I mean, that's it, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, basically all the albums that went completely against the general trend of 80s music.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-04-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
music in the 80s had culture...It reflected what was going on in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
What in the 90s compares to the bands that I have mentioned, Def Leopard for example

[/ QUOTE ]

You lose.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice. At least go with GNR or something. Reach back for some U2 or REM... something.

Indiana
08-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Same reason I hate Indy. I'm not from here orig. Been here 3 yrs and prolly not another.

Indy

Soul Daddy
[ QUOTE ]
You remind me why I loathed Indianapolis - the people.

[/ QUOTE ]
And the women are brutal.

Patrick del Poker Grande
[ QUOTE ]
Nirvana is the only good band on this list.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]
And by that you mean they're the only one you recognize?

Indiana
08-04-2005, 11:17 AM
the women here suck...all cornfed.

Indy

Indiana
08-04-2005, 11:18 AM
shut ur mouth:)

Indy

Hamish McBagpipe
08-04-2005, 11:18 AM
In another post you said you are 29, so how the hell are you "growing up" in the late '80s? In 1987 you're, what, 11? I'm 35 and when I was 11 I was listening to Lipps Inc's Funkytown but I don't consider that the music I grew up with. I'm more influenced by that late 80s stuff because that's when I'm 16-20. I gave up on most new music listening after first wave grunge. But the mid 90s Britpop reaction (and others) brought me back and I'd stack Radiohead, PJ Harvey, Blur, Belle and Sebastian, Oasis, Stereophonics and many others up against any set of mainly 80s bands. So, if I mostly listen to that stuff then at least I'm only a few years behind. In fact, classic rock listeners of any kind (which is now stretching into the 80s) kind of piss me off for not even trying to find something new to listen to. It isn't on your local top 40 station but look harder.

BTW, from your other post, I'm not even going to look it up, but I consider Journey a 70s band not 80s. I'm sure some albums are from the 80s but even so, they deserve to be classified as bad late 70s rock. And Queensryche? Jesus.

Indiana
08-04-2005, 11:20 AM
1989 was an outlier...Check 1982-85.

Indy

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-04-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
shut ur mouth:)

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]
How can you be 29 and not know the music of the bands I listed? You're just not listening to anything.

08-04-2005, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget Janet Jackson's 'Rhythm Nation' and Bobby Brown /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Also Aerosmith was doing their thing, right?

Hamish McBagpipe
08-04-2005, 11:22 AM
Joshua tree, 1987.

Indiana
08-04-2005, 11:26 AM
My ignorant brother, yes I am white. I'll have you know that I grew up in the hood in tobacco town North Carolina and my knowledge of soul and rap music is deeper than that of most african americans. For the record, I don't hate rap...It was good at one time, now its just marketing chit...Eric B and Rakim were very talented, Coolio was a talentless idiot...

Indy

TheMainEvent
08-04-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1989 was an outlier...Check 1982-85.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Thank God I grew up in the late 80s.

[/ QUOTE ]

samjjones
08-04-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My ignorant brother, yes I am white. I'll have you know that I grew up in the hood in tobacco town North Carolina and my knowledge of soul and rap music is deeper than that of most african americans. For the record, I don't hate rap...It was good at one time, now its just marketing chit...Eric B and Rakim were very talented, Coolio was a talentless idiot...

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. You're old school. Do you also watch "Krush Groove" at least twice a week???

uw_madtown
08-04-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

You're listening to the wrong... everything. There was some great non-rap 90s music that blows away anything put out in the 80s. And there's some great rap being put out now.

Mainstream top 40 music is not the ONLY music, for God's sake.

bosoxfan
08-04-2005, 11:29 AM
I graduated from high school in 1990. With only a few exceptions when I hear music from the late 80's I say, I can't believe I listened to this crap.

RunDownHouse
By the way, I meant "ignorant" in the musical sense, not in the "you're an ignorant rascist" way. But don't protest too much, ok?

And I agree that all rap 1990 and after is horrible. I mean, Tupac? Biggie? Such mainstream, cookie cutter-stuff!

Indiana
I am old school...I feel that I grew up in the late 80s early 90s but my appreciation for the 80s is deep. Sure there 90s had a few good groups like Nirvana, Metallica, and Boyz II men....But nothing of the depth that we saw in the previous 3 decades.

Indy

durron597
08-04-2005, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Billboard top 50 singles for 1989 (http://www.onmc.iinet.net.au/USA/usa1989.htm)

I think I've made my point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh dear god.

Maulik
08-04-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

I will agree with you. There are a few notable exceptions, but past Nirvana its all down-hill. My belief is (if we are lucky) that music will go through a 60s & 70s esque state. Currently, we are in the 50's/60's state of music where pop dominates; mind you there is no Elvis or Beatles right now. The masses suck!

I've started a vinyl collection because music sucks right now, holla.

To OP, most 80s music was terrible, all those hairbands suck, especially Motley Crue, etc.

Maulik
08-04-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate modern rap, but the 90s is when rap was not popular produced. Currently, everything is all about marketing a band / rapper / performer.

M2d
08-04-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]
He's also got Wham, Eddie Murphy, Survivor and USA for Africa, so that's all cancelled out.

fwiw, I grew up in the 80's as well and think most of the music from then was crap.

M2d
08-04-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I will agree with you. There are a few notable exceptions, but past Nirvana its all down-hill. My belief is (if we are lucky) that music will go through a 60s & 70s esque state. Currently, we are in the 50's/60's state of music where pop dominates; mind you there is no Elvis or Beatles right now. The masses suck!

[/ QUOTE ]
too much electric fill and tweaking of tone and crap. agreed there's no Elvis or Beatles around now, but there's also no Sam Cooke, Levi Stubbs, Chuck Berry, Smokey Robinson, Byrds, Cream or any of a multitude of others with true talent. Or, maybe there is, but we can't tell because, since the 80's (extra swill points because this is the decade where it started), every record put out sounds nothing like the performers actually sound like live. anyone with a look can get a reasonable sounding record out because the electronics will cover up most of the flaws.

Claunchy
08-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Wow, there are so many ignorant comments being made in this thread it's hard to tell where to start.

First, no decade is qualitatively better than any other musically. People weren't inherently more creative/talented in the 80s than the 90s, or vice versa.

The 80s brought us such greatness as Talking Heads, The Smiths, Depeche Mode, Joy Division, Sonic Youth, GnR, pre-suck Metallica, Slayer, Public Enemy, RunDMC, and many (probably obvious) others.

90s: we had Radiohead, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Beck, Weezer, REM (80s too I know), Oasis, Blur, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, and I'm too lazy to name more but hopefully you get the point.

So to the OP, stop making stupid-ass troll posts that get me all worked up at 11 am before I've even had time to finish my muffin. That is all.

imported_The Vibesman
08-04-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]
He's also got Wham, Eddie Murphy, Survivor and USA for Africa, so that's all cancelled out.

fwiw, I grew up in the 80's as well and think most of the music from then was crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing about the 80's tho, is Stevie Ray Vaughan.
Stevie
Ray
Vaughan.

So basically, the 80's were worth it, for Stevie Ray alone. Despite that top 50 from 1989 list, man was that horrifying.

08-04-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sure there 90s had a few good groups like Boyz II men....

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you just lost all credibility with that one /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

08-04-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, there are so many ignorant comments being made in this thread it's hard to tell where to start.

First, no decade is qualitatively better than any other musically. People weren't inherently more creative/talented in the 80s than the 90s, or vice versa.

The 80s brought us such greatness as Talking Heads, The Smiths, Depeche Mode, Joy Division, Sonic Youth, GnR, pre-suck Metallica, Slayer, Public Enemy, RunDMC, and many (probably obvious) others.

90s: we had Radiohead, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Beck, Weezer, REM (80s too I know), Oasis, Blur, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, and I'm too lazy to name more but hopefully you get the point.

So to the OP, stop making stupid-ass troll posts that get me all worked up at 11 am before I've even had time to finish my muffin. That is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indiana
08-04-2005, 12:31 PM
Boyz II men had some of the best vocal talent I have ever heard in my lifetime here on earth.

Indy

codewarrior
08-04-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
at least pick the early 80's so you can claim B-52's.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Talking Heads also ruled.

sfer
08-04-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Plenty? I doubt plenty. There may be a song or two like the the ones on that recent switchfoot album. Thing is, its gonna look silly in 20 yrs when we see the brilliance of the 60s-80s stacked up against 90s-00s.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

This post should disqualify you from...living.

codewarrior
08-04-2005, 01:03 PM
This Mortal Coil

The Cure