PDA

View Full Version : 10/20 6-max - another set on monotone board post

gomberg
08-04-2005, 09:26 AM
5 handed, I'm in sb w/ red 77.

UTG ($5000) raises to $70. He'll do this with any pocket pair, suited connectors, high cards - typical aggro 6-max player preflop, but then goes to an underbetting and passive strategy postflop. Not too terrible to have in the game.

MP calls, button calls, I call ($3000).

Flop ($300) - 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I check, UTG bets $200, fold, fold, Hero...? What's a good line to take here? Also, UTG likes to make big calls vs. possible bluffs over multiple streets against certain opponents - not sure if I'm one of them yet (just sat down 10 minutes before).

deadmoney98
08-04-2005, 11:03 AM
Well, seems like you have got to raise here. But since you are OOP, I might wait for the turn and hope a brick falls. The board is draw heavy and some pot control seems like a good choice. Any 8 or /images/graemlins/spade.gif will kill either your hand or your action, or both.

Ok, I think that is two weak tight posts in a row for me, somebody please say something better.

08-04-2005, 11:21 AM
I would raise 500-600. If he pushes I am probably done with the hand. If he calls I bet around 3/4 of the pot on turn and check river.

gomberg
08-04-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would raise 500-600. If he pushes I am probably done with the hand. If he calls I bet around 3/4 of the pot on turn and check river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this line as I'm not sure of this opponent's range for pushing back. A lot of players will push back with an overpair + flush draw, especially if it's AsA or KsK. Hell, Even AsXo could push back, or 8s8. I don't want to be put in a position to make a large mistake (folding a hand with a lot of equity in the pot).

Yeti
08-04-2005, 11:43 AM
Actually, I can't make my mind up. If stacks are $2k I raise, here, I call.

gomberg
08-04-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pretty sure I call and play pokah.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right - from my previous post, this was what I liked best as well so I called.

Turn: ($700) A /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Anyone lead out here? I checked, opponent bet $250...

His underbet doesn't tell me much. I've seen him bet monsters, bluffs, and marginal hands in this fashion. If it's a monster the river will be a small bet as well most likely.

I call.

River ($1200) 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I check, he checks.

Anyone play the turn / river differently?

Yeti
08-04-2005, 11:49 AM
I play it the same.

FatalError
08-04-2005, 11:55 AM
i play this hand the same way, i think the best play is to try to fill up on the turn and then when faces with that turn bet you have implied odds to take another shot on the river... the free showdown is nice even though you're not ahead too often

gomberg
08-04-2005, 12:21 PM
It's just I feel I wasn't ever aggressive in this hand, but don't know where I could have been (maybe lead out the flop?). It was weird for me and I felt like a pansey /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, he had red JJ and took it down.

being out of position sucks.

AZK
08-04-2005, 01:09 PM
check-raise the turn?

Edit: I know this is unconventional, but a check-minraise here would be really interesting. A) It's scary as hell, and most hands probably muck except the nuts or close to it. B) If he comes over the top, you can still call in the hopes of filling.

gomberg
08-04-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
check-raise the turn?

Edit: I know this is unconventional, but a check-minraise here would be really interesting. A) It's scary as hell, and most hands probably muck except the nuts or close to it. B) If he comes over the top, you can still call in the hopes of filling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about this - the reason I didn't do it here was mainly because this guy is a calling station and the river could put me in a bad spot. If I did face a bet on the river, I wanted it to be small (not just small in relation to the pot), and if I min-CR there and he calls, I have a really tough situation brewing.

captZEEbo1
08-04-2005, 02:49 PM
yeah with those stacks I probably just call here and see what happens. With 100 bb's I raise that flop up every time and try to get allin asap (or take it down on the flop). Raising the flop gets top pair confused thinking you have the loan A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.

People advocating raise flop and fold to a rr are out of their mind lol.

Turn min raising is a disaster since he is giving you nice odds to fill up. If you're gonna raise you have to make it about 2.5-3x his bet, but that won't serve a lot of purpose other than getting a LOW spade to fold, but I doubt there are any low spades in his hand. Also if he flopped a flush with something like 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, he's not folding to a raise, I've noticed people that flop a flush are still married to their hand when the 4th suited card hits, no matter what their kicker.

Big_Jim
08-04-2005, 03:36 PM
Why not lead the flop?

Given that you checked... raise to $600 straight.

Push a blank turn.

Check/Call if a spade hits, if you get odds. Otherwise, fold.

If the board pairs, bet $1000

EDIT: Yikes stacks are deep. This advice is better with shorter stacks....

Looks like he's giving you odds to fill... so I call, and lead a blank turn for $400-$450, folding to a big raise, minus a specific read.

Check call river, if he calls.

gomberg
08-04-2005, 03:40 PM
I really don't like a check-raise here. Leading the flop I probably should have done, I just didn't want to play a huge multiway pot out of position w/ a hand that may be killed if the money goes in (especially w/ 150BBs).

Big_Jim
08-04-2005, 03:41 PM
Missed stack sizes.... FMP.

gomberg
08-04-2005, 03:43 PM
Also - my plan on a turn blank was to stop and go if that makes any difference, and bet out a blank river as well if called.

Big_Jim
08-04-2005, 05:38 PM
I think I like a check-call on the river better, as it induces a bluff a lot of the time, although, you might lose some value from overpairs with a /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

If he raises your river lead, I assume you fold?