PDA

View Full Version : So i decided to implement this "check the turn with TPTK" idea...

phillydilly
08-04-2005, 09:00 AM
So I've recently come over from limit to NL. I've seen a lot of discussion about checking the turn with TPTK. With my limit background, i always think giving a free card on the turn is a huge leak, but it doesn't seem so in NL. Such is the case, i'm trying to incorporate it into my game, how'd i do?

Party Poker (6 max, 6 handed) NL $25converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero and SB both have $25ish stacks, plus or minus a few $
Preflop: Hero is MP with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">UTG folds, Hero raise to $1, folds to SB who calls, BB folds.

Flop: T/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks. Hero Bets $3, SB calls

Turn: 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Ok, going over possible calling hands on the flop, he could have called preflop out of the SB with any two pair hand such as KT QT KQ, i think KK and QQ would have 3 bet, but QQ could have called preflop along with TT. He also could have AJ. the hands i'm ahead of are any J, AQ, thats about it. So i think this is a good spot to check behind.

River: 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB bets $6. Hero calls.

I think this is an obvious call. He may be value something like AQ, or bluffing a missed draw with a J. But if I'm going to check the turn, i call here, correct?

Final Pot:

fimbulwinter
08-04-2005, 09:02 AM
I like it.

fim

ps- this is at 25NL and you both have $25 right?

08-04-2005, 09:50 AM
Hmmm...Sounds like he may have had the J, is this really a good play? I guess if he checks the turn you can assume he has the draw and fold to the card if it hits. The only thing that concerns me is that the free A could make his straight and your top 2. Id like to hear some more opinions...

08-04-2005, 10:02 AM
I like it too. You could easily be beat here, but by checking the turn, you induce a lot of river bluffs. So of course you have to call a reasonable bet on the river if you think there's a reasonable chance of having the best hand, which clearly seems to be the case here.