PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 99 in all the wrong places

DaNoob
03-13-2003, 07:15 PM
Setting: 1 Table, $5.50 NL Holdem Tournament at PokerStars. Play is slightly more aggressive than I'm used to for the tourneys, but not outrageous, and people seem to have the cards (not bluffing). 1500 chips to start.

Game 1 (Mr. Hyde): 7 ppl left - 30/60 stakes. I've got ~2100 chips, which puts me in 2nd at the table, sitting MP. I get dealt 99. UTG calls, +1 folds, I limp in, next guy raises 180. He has been playing somewhat tight, so this gets my attention. Button folds, SB calls, everyone folds to me. I fold.

Did I play the pocket 9s too meekly?

Game 2 (Dr. Jekyll): It's about 20 hands later and we're now down to 6 players. My stack has slowly dwindled, as I've been dealt pretty crappy cards as far back as I can remember. I'm obviously itchin for some action (prob very foolish attitude). I'm in MP and get dealt pocket 9s again. This time, feeling more confident about them, especially after my previous experience. UTG calls $100, +1 folds, I raise All-In. It folds to BB, who calls, and then UTG calls also. After my meek performance on the 1st hand, did I overdo it on this one?

I'll share the results after some initial feedback. I don't want to skew any judgements.

Also, if I've left off important details, let me know and I'll fill in the blanks. Thanks!!

Ignatius
03-13-2003, 09:54 PM
Hand 1: Nothing wrong with calling and going for a set, esp. if there's a decent chance that there won't be a raise behind you. Once it got raised, you're getting better than 7:2 and a call costs less than 9% of your stack, so I think you should see a flop.
Raising is also an option, esp. if UTG was a short stack and/or there's a decent chance of taking it down. Since 7-handed, he probably would have open-raised with TT or better, you are likely ahead and might even have him dominated (if he has a smaller pair or a weak AXs). Also, you have position on him.

Hand 2: Impossible to answer w/o knowing your, UTG's and the blinds' stack sizes.

DaNoob
03-14-2003, 02:51 AM
My stack was ~T1500, UTG a little less, and BB ~T2800

Ignatius
03-14-2003, 05:14 AM
T1500 is 4 times the pot and while there are situations where such a huge overbet can be justified, moving in after a limper who almost has you covered with 99 is not one of them. If you want to play your hand, you will have to do it the old fashioned way: by calling or raising (say, to T400) and then playing a pot.
In this case, I'd tend to call as you have position and the BB has you covered which somewhat reduces the chance to take it down. Another problem with raising is, that you'll face a tough decision if UTG moves in on you as you'll have more than 1/4 of your stack in.