PDA

View Full Version : 8 tabling question

08-04-2005, 05:13 AM
Hi.....I have a question about 8 tabling.......

I just set up my (2) new Dell 2001fp monitors and connected them the my Dell Dimension 9100 desktop......

My question is I just tried 8 tabling and it seems that about every minute or so my computer freezes for about 10 seconds or so and when it comes back I have only a few seconds to act on my hands and sometimes it folds my hands before I can act.....

I searched the archive on here and saw the Dell Dimension 3000 was sufficient for 8 tables.......But I decided to upgrade to the better Dimension 9100 mainly because of the video card that came with it and the price was good so I spent the extra money......

My Dell 9100 has the following: P4 3.0Ghz, 1GB Dual Channel SDRAM, 160 GB Ultra ATA/100 7200 RPM hard drive, and a 256MB Geforce 6800 video card and my two Dell 2001fp monitors are connected to the DVI and VGA slots.....

Is there anything that I can do to stop the delays?......Do I have something not setup correctly?

Or do I need more memory, maybe upgrade from 1GB to 2GB? But, before I upgrade anything, my understanding after reading the archives on here and reading what several 2+2ers wrote, I seem to have more than enough computer for 8 tabling or dont I?......I hope I just have something not configured properly........

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.......Thank you for your time.....

Lisa

TheTROLL
08-04-2005, 05:37 AM
Does this coincide with PokerTracker auto-importing, by any chance?

MyMindIsGoing
08-04-2005, 08:25 AM
This might not help in this case but a good thing to do is to have a fixed size swapfile. By doing that the swapfile does not need to expand and shrink all the time. This fixes some stalling issues atleast, maybe not this one but it is still not a bad thing to do. Set it to 512mb, and if it ever complains (it should not) make it 1024. I have a p4 3.0ghz with 512mb and 512mb fixed swapfile (or more accurate pagefile) and it works great for me.

OrcaDK
08-04-2005, 08:55 AM
Your comp has is in no way underpowered for the task. Most likely your problem is the PT autoimport - as Troll mentioned - or having apps like PA Hud or PV running.

mosta
08-04-2005, 10:22 AM
are you running your PT database as PostGRE SQL? I tried converting over to that and it sucked. It didn't cause my tables to time out, but PT was always busy in the background. I went back to Access and now my imports only take a few seconds again. (I was not on a beta for postgre, I went on it after the official release. there may have been a new tweak I didn't try, but I didn't care to waste any more time futzing with it.)

08-05-2005, 05:47 AM
Hi.....

Thank you all for responding.

I dont use poker tracker, so that cant be the problem. I do have both of the monitors connected with the USB cable even though I just read another post on here that says it isnt necessary to have the USB cable connected.

If I unplug the USB cable on each monitor will that help any or does it not matter? If it doesnt matter am I better off keeping the USB cable connected like the directions tell me to do?

Any other ideas on what could be causing the 10 second or so delay when I 8 table and how I might possibly be able to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again,

Lisa

08-05-2005, 10:18 AM
Hi.....

I am still getting between a 5-30 second delay when I play 8 tables and I sometimes time out on a hand. I dont seem to have this problem with 4 tables. It just seems when I play 5-8 games it starts to happen.

Sometimes when my screen freezes I get back with 5 seconds left to act in my hand and sometimes I dont get back and it folds my hand.

In my original post I listed the specs on my system and like I thought I have more than enough computer so thats not the problem.

It is driving me nuts since the reason I bought the desktop and new monitors was to 8 table and I cant.

I must have something configured wrong, but I dont know what. Both of my monitors work great when I am not playing poker and they work great when I am just playing 4 tables. I have more than enough computer to be able to 8 table, yet I cant without getting the delays almost every hand/minute.

So, based on it working fine until I 8 table I dont know what could be configured wrong. I dont use Poker Tracker so thats not causing the delay.

Anyone that has any advice I would appreciate it. If nobody on here can help me correct the problem and I know its hard to fix the problem in a forum, does anyone think calling say, Best Buy and their Geek Squad will be worthwhile?

I mean if they come out and I put up 8 tables in the play money rooms and they see the delay I am having will they be able to figure out what is wrong?.....Is that what they do?....I would assume its a real easy fix for someone like them since they know where to look, but I dont.

I am sure someone else has had this problem and its as simple as clicking one button, so if anyone knows what I need to do, please help me.

Thanx everyone for your time and I am sorry for rambling, but I am just frustrated having bought all theses goodies and now I cant use them properly. Its a letdown.

Lisa

TheTROLL
08-05-2005, 11:45 AM
The only time I've seen something similar, it turned out my Internet connection was swamped by another process (filesharing software) making hundreds of connections to the outside world. What sort of response times are you getting if you type

ping www.partypoker.com (http://www.partypoker.com)

into a command prompt with none, four, and all eight tables open?