PDA

View Full Version : Live 2/5 AK on draw friendly flop

08-04-2005, 03:50 AM
Hero is UTG+1 sitting on ~$650, holding A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif
UTG limps
Hero raises to $25, 4 players call

Flop:
A /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB Checks, UTG bets 35. Hero raises to 135. UTG+2 reraises all in for 425 more (player is pretty solid, though hasn't shown down too many hands). Folded around to UTG (the absolute tightest and most solid player at the table) who calls (225).

What's the hero's best move here, and would the hero have been better off trying to play a smaller pot and not raising the flop?

The Truth
08-04-2005, 11:55 PM
fold now

08-05-2005, 12:44 AM
yeah, I suppose it's fairly obvious, and ultimately what I did.

The player who pushed turned over 8-5 off suit for a straight draw, and the one who called had 10-3 of clubs for a flush draw.

Even if I had called, I would have only been a 1.1% favorite over the flush draw, with a 40% chance of winning over all (at the time I didn't realize how little of an advantage I had in that spot). Obviously I would have lost less if I hadn't raised, but I wonder if the raise is still +EV.

creedofhubris
08-05-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hero is UTG+1 sitting on ~$650, holding A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif
UTG limps
Hero raises to $25, 4 players call

Flop:
A /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB Checks, UTG bets 35. Hero raises to 135. UTG+2 reraises all in for 425 more (player is pretty solid, though hasn't shown down too many hands). Folded around to UTG (the absolute tightest and most solid player at the table) who calls (225).

What's the hero's best move here, and would the hero have been better off trying to play a smaller pot and not raising the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

As you've described UTG here, this is a fold.

Given what UTG ended up having, you need to work on your ability to describe/pigeonhole opponents.

BTW, play in this game every chance you get from now on.

08-05-2005, 01:09 AM
UTG's call was discussed for a good while after this hand. It was unbelievably out of character, and this was confirmed by players who've played with him for much longer than I have.

Falker11
08-05-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I like the flop raise. In the multiway pot I think you need to put in a raise here and shut out the opponents behind you. Cant let them draw cheaply on this draw happy board. If anyone raises or cold calls they are basically telling you they have u beat so you can be done with the hand. I think you lost the least you could have on this hand.

Falker

fsuplayer
08-05-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What's the hero's best move here

[/ QUOTE ]

run.

MTBlue
08-05-2005, 12:00 PM
Pretty easy fold. The situation you ended up with was pretty freak and/or you need to work on your hand reading skills. I call the flop and raise a non-club turn. It really messes up their drawing odds and when people push you have a much easier fold. Very few people will push a draw with one card to come so it becomes much more likely you are behind.